JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, I had a question. I recently got a new AR. New like in the box new. I have never owned a brand new AR. I took it to the range today and shot it. It was having trouble feeding. What I mean is, it would fire, eject the round but the bolt would close home on an empty chamber. I swapped the bolt to my other AR it shot fine, I used a different bolt in the new rifle and same thing. It worked fine if I lubed the crap out of it, I could dump a whole magazine without any misfires, but if I put it down shot something else without lubing it....same result. Fire, eject, no new round in the chamber. Any ideas what this is? Is there some sort of break in period with new AR's I don't know about? Can I fix it myself or do I need to take it in/send it back. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated guys, thanks!

AR's do not need break-in.

it could be many things:

heavy/wrong buffer spring and buffer that cause short stroke.

misaligned gas tube that cause short stroke.

out of spec lower and such.

bring the gun to Curt's Discount Shooter's Supply, people said he knows about AR's and great customer service (no personal review).

I used the metal magazine 30 rounder that came with the rifle, tried 3 different Pmags and another Kay mag that is flawless on both of my other AR's

As I was running through some quick fix type attempts I did feel like perhaps the Buffer spring felt pretty rigid, and the Buffer is heavier then my other rifles. But I always thought heavy buffers and stronger springs were better for your cycling.

Im going to try them Monday. I know Windham may not be a top end AR manufacturer, but I have consistently heard good things about them and their quality. I can appreciate the story of their coming into play again after the Bushmaster restructure. I really want this rifle to work for me lol.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top