JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If your shooting 500 yards for fun instead of competition where 1 out of 10 or 1 out of 50 or 1 out of 100 shots is outside the normal parameter your dialed in for, you likely don't care relative to the cost per shot.
That would be me. I dont really even want to shoot 500yds with mine (seems impractical for a 22lr...). I occasionally use my 22lr for grouse and rabbit hunting past shotgun range so something that groups tight out to 100yds is all I need. I havent tried any match grade ammo yet, been meaning to.

That would be me. I dont really even want to shoot 500yds with mine (seems impractical for a 22lr...). I occasionally use my 22lr for grouse and rabbit hunting past shotgun range so something that groups tight out to 100yds is all I need. I havent tried any match grade ammo yet, been meaning to.
The ones I would keep a look out for are: CCI Standard Velocity, SK Plus, Norma Tac22, Eley Contact/Target/Club. You want something that comes out of your rifle subsonic and that groups well. If your gun likes any of the above it should easily be capable of printing sub-moa groups at 100 yards. If you do any type of accuracy testing I recommend shooting at least 50 rounds of a given type of ammo without switching to another type. Your barrel will take a few rounds or more to settle into the new ammo from what you shot previously. Different manufactures use different lubricants and coatings and it all impacts consistency and accuracy. Sames goes for shooting a just cleaned barrel.

Good chance you will have to purchase the ammo's stated above online if your interested in any of them as most aren't common on sporting good store shelves. That or find someone local that will sell you an assortment of 50 round boxes from their stash.

.22 at 500 yards? The only benefits the rimfire ammo can give you is consistency from shot-to-shot and bullet shape (ballistic coefficient) and to some extent weight for resistance to drift etc. it's still a regular 22 bullet not some new spritzer boatail new cartridge. So still a drop of about 40' at 500 yards, not to mention wind drift. I guess if you like mortars and other artillery it could be a fun hobby but that's all it is at 500 yards imo. Saiga308 would like this round to add more broken bottles to the desert.

43 gr at 1165 fps

CBC9A23C-2933-40DA-A9D1-94F40B43EFA1.jpeg

Last Edited:
500 yards with one of my .22 rifles would be fun to try and give me bragging rights for sure.

However...
I am far more interested in what to do to make hits at 100 yards and less with my .22 rifles.
Hitting a clay bird or leftover clay bird bit at 100 yards with a .22 rifle is fun..and happens more often than not with a couple of my .22 rifles.
Granted this is more of a casual thing...and not shooting to score or small groups.
Still it is satisfying to make those hits on a clay bird , leftover clay bird bit , or an odd colored rock / leaf at the shooting pit.
Andy

.22 at 500 yards? The only benefits the rimfire ammo can give you is consistency from shot-to-shot and bullet shape (ballistic coefficient) and to some extent weight for resistance to drift etc. it's still a regular 22 bullet not some new spritzer boatail new cartridge. So still a drop of about 40' at 500 yards, not to mention wind drift. I guess if you like mortars and other artillery it could be a fun hobby but that's all it is at 500 yards imo. Saiga308 would like this round to add more broken bottles to the desert.

43 gr at 1165 fps

View attachment 1804866
22lr is a great training tool for shooting long range with a centerfire. Especially if you can't regularly access a range that gets out to your preferred distance. Shooting 22lr at 300, 400, 500 yards still requires the use of all your centerfire long range fundamentals. Plus it is just downright fun to hear that ping on steel after that long time of flight. The adjustment for my setup, to hit 500M (547 yards) I have to come up 36-MILS which is a combination adjustment via the turret and utilizing the reticle as I run out of vertical adjustment.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top