JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,

I am a new member from Western Montana.

This is my range:

Western Montana Fish & Game Association - The WMFG is a membership based organization that privately owns and operates the Deer Creek Shooting Center in East Missoula Montana

I was told about your forum from another member here in the Pacific Northwest.

I do NOT shoot as much as I used to shoot due to my older age and arthritis but I still remain very active in the Right To Keep and Bear Arms issues as I did in my former state (His home state not mine.) with my late husband. I used to shoot around 10,000 rounds a year in CF and in RF firearms. Later on, I mainly went to 22lr and a bit of 22wmr firearms. Right now, I shoot 22lr in rifles. I have Not shot much this past year though.

I do not hunt but I have no objections to hunting. I do eat elk and deer. I like to fish but would rather swim than fish!

My MT born and raised husband, I am a remarried widow, still shoots quite a bit, hunts, is active in RKBA issues and he used to compete a LOT! He has reloaded for over 40 years. I have never reloaded and I do not plan to reload. However, I have looked for products for him and friends before he retired with a crazy 24/7 job! I helped fix up a den for him when I built this house so he had his own special hunting/fishing room.

I do not shoot handguns any longer but they used to be MY favorite type of gun when I started to buy my own guns in the late 90's. I was into a few CF and RF lever action guns over the years. I still like lever action rifles but I sold mine. My husband still shoots his few CF lever action rifles and some bolt action rifles.

Right now, I like to shoot a couple of bolt action CZ rifles (22lr) and, don't laugh, a light weight Savage Rascal - single shot rifle (22lr) when I would like to shoot even if my arthritis is bad.

I discovered bolt action rifles a few years ago but before that time, they did Not interest me. The ones that I tried at a few events, back east and out here, were too heavy for me even though I had owned and shot heavier handguns - my former handguns.

I am not into shotguns but my MT husband used to own and shoot them in a few calibers.

I do like the looks and history of some black powder, old fashioned rifles but I never owned one. They are heavy! The few that I looked at over the years. Some older guys at my former club in my former state shot them.

I used to shoot at a Sportsman's Club in a rural area close to my old house (Boonies.) in my former state. I shot at an indoor range that was attached to my former gun store, back east, too. That was a much longer drive for me but I went there once and sometimes twice a week when I first started to shoot and buy my own guns. Late 90's.

My late husband only owned a few guns in his life compared to me and he was into 2 main calibers. He did not hunt. He was into the RKBA issues and into self defense. Self dense big time. (Owning only a few firearms was his choice. He was into sail and power boats! Me too - love the water but guns were something that I wanted to learn due to self defense issues. Especially in the late 90's.) He was a very good shot. He always encouraged me when it came to the RKBA and buying guns. He introduced me to a couple of guns after his Vietnam and around the world military time after we moved back to his home state. At the time, I was not into anything but learning basic safety issues and self defense in using one of his handguns. The few other guns of his and 2 lever action rifles did not interest me at the time. I had some family members who used shotguns, back on the East Coast, but I did not grow up around firearms as many people did.

I like iron sights personally - I do not like or use scopes. I have worn eyeglasses since I was 5 years old. I started using bi-focals in my 40's. I am 68 years old now. I like to shoot standing up and I do not care for bench rest shooting. I shoot better standing up. Not leaning against anything. My late husband and my husband liked/like to shoot standing up and bench rest shooting.

Anyway... enough of this long Britannica post of mine.

I read your forum earlier today too. I enjoyed it. Thank you!

Sincerely,

Catherine
Typos!

Last Edited:
Welcome to the forum and happy shooting to you.

If you ever want to shoot a muzzleloader , but find that they are too heavy you can try using "Shooting Sticks"...
These are usually made of two pieces of hickory or other stout wood , drilled and pinned together to form an "X"... They are usually made to swivel together / close when not in use.
"Open" the sticks , place on end in the ground ( They usually have a nail on the bottom ) , load your rifle , then lay the barrel across the spot where the two sticks come together , while you shoot...

Lots of guys who have been shooting forever , but now due to age issues , use these at our local clubs , shoots and rendezvous.
No sense missing out on shooting fun , if we can work around a issue...:D
Andy

I'm new here as well, but allow me to say welcome. I have spent many good times camping in some higher elevation beautiful spots in northwestern Montana, and love the area, and most of western Montana as well.

Welcome to the forum. I Love the state of Montana. I have friends there and I have been hunting there every year for about the last 25. A lot of different backgrounds and knowledge on these forums as well as some good senses of humor. Come on in and hang out a spell. I am looking forward to your contributions.

Welcome to the forum and happy shooting to you.

If you ever want to shoot a muzzleloader , but find that they are too heavy you can try using "Shooting Sticks"...
These are usually made of two pieces of hickory or other stout wood , drilled and pinned together to form an "X"... They are usually made to swivel together / close when not in use.
"Open" the sticks , place on end in the ground ( They usually have a nail on the bottom ) , load your rifle , then lay the barrel across the spot where the two sticks come together , while you shoot...

Lots of guys who have been shooting forever , but now due to age issues , use these at our local clubs , shoots and rendezvous.
No sense missing out on shooting fun , if we can work around a issue...:D
Andy

Thanks for the information.

I have seen them used in some of my old western movies.

I have not seen them used in person - up close and personal.

Cate

Welcome from Whitehall!!! Born and raised in OR but it is getting too weird. NWFA is an active bunch of shooters and there is a wealth of knowledge stored up here among some very honorable American patriots. We still live part time in Salem but mostly in Whitehall. We are members of the Logan range and still have a membership at COSSA in Bend, OR. My husband and I both reload. And fish. And hunt. And eat deer and elk. I watched this sight for years with my husband and finally opened my own port this year. I have learned a lot here.

Bookmarked WMFG page. Might have to visit that.

Last Edited:
Welcome from Whitehall!!! Born and raised in OR but it is getting too weird. NWFA is an active bunch of shooters and there is a wealth of knowledge stored up here among some very honorable American patriots. We still live part time in Salem but mostly in Whitehall. We are members of the Logan range and still have a membership at COSSA in Bend, OR. My husband and I both reload. And fish. And hunt. And eat deer and elk. I watched this sight for years with my husband and finally opened my own port this year. I have learned a lot here.
Bookmarked WMFG page. Might have to visit that.

Hello,

Nice to meet you!

We used to hold some private shooting events with a small group of people from across the country at Deer Creek aka WMFGA.

Several of them came from WA state - both sides of the Cascades, a couple from CO, a couple from MN, etc. Some came from here and the other side of Montana too.

The range has more RULES now on guests and memberships but the membership is inexpensive. They have some other rules that they never had before too. They ALWAYS had the safety rules but now... they cover their butt for the simple computer test before you can become a member. Most likely for $$$ insurance reasons AND for common sense safety issues.

They have added more to the range since some of those old friends shot with us. My husband had a CRAZY high stress 24/7 job before he retired and he did not have days off and holidays off like most normal people. Grin on my normal scheduled people comment here.

It is a VERY nice range. Big Sky Practical Shooting Club at WMFGA has regular events too. My husband belongs to that but he has not competed in several years due to his former schedule. I do not know if he will end up competing again in the future. They have a nice heated second bathroom too. They built a meeting room next to that.

They do not have the same events as DEEP CREEK Range has and you may want to check that out too. I have NEVER shot at DEEP CREEK but my MT husband has. Some of our older friends belong to that too.

DEER CREEK (WMFGA) and DEEP CREEK do not have ALL of the events as my former Sportsman's Club, back east, had at one place but they are VERY nice clubs. Since I moved out west, my old club has even more events. Plus Deer Creek and the one back east bought MORE LAND. I do not know the status of land purchases at DEEP CREEK. I will look up the link and post if for you here.

DEEP CREEK RANGE

DEEP CREEK ^^^

Buying Land (Western states, Great Lakes Region and on the East Coast = born/raised - places that I am personally aware of.) and 'neighbors' even if they KNOW that a gun range has been there forever, ON private or ON public land, is getting to be an even BIGGER issue than ever before as you and others are aware of.

Plus some free places have been ruined due to slobs that shoot and they do not clean up their shooting area. So since they do not respect the land - shooting area and do other things... many of those places have closed up.

I shot on BLM land in CO one year. Part of it was kept clean and another part of it was messy.

Deer Creek (I know this!) and Deep Creek according to my husband are really full of ICE in the winter. Wear cleats or good non slip boots. Snow... we are used to that but the ICE is a royal pain to deal with. We still shoot year round but I have NOT shot much in the last year at all.

Good shooting to you and yours.

Old Lady Cate

Welcome, Cate! I have spent quite a bit of time in NW Montana and hope to move there at some point. I hear it's full, but I have an anchor baby there ;) My daughter went to UM, married a Montana boy and lives in the Polson area. This is a good place with good people, so I'm sure you'll get along fine here.

Welcome, Cate! I have spent quite a bit of time in NW Montana and hope to move there at some point. I hear it's full, but I have an anchor baby there ;) My daughter went to UM, married a Montana boy and lives in the Polson area. This is a good place with good people, so I'm sure you'll get along fine here.

Nice to meet you too!

Cool on your daughter living here. ; . ) There are many nice people around the Polson area too!

Cate

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads