JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I found this sight while researching info on a survival lighter. I consider myself an experienced out doors man. and avid hunter. The reason for the survival lighter was a close call I had this last hunting season with hyperthermia in the North Cascades. I carry a complete fire starting kit with me when ever I am hunting and even equipped with this Kit I almost bought the farm. Two BIC lighters a zippo and a dozen strike anywhere matches along with pitch tinder and flint and manganese I got the fire going with the last match. The humidity, wind and rain were almost too much to overcome.
If I had a survival lighter it would have been Fire ON!! Ok so much for my story .
I hope to share information on shooting and learn from the other members on this forum.

I still dont have a survival lighter but I have been doing some research. Just google Survival lighter and all kinds of selections come up. Ebay has some cheap ones (China!! do you want to risk your life with their crap) and then there are some not so cheap ones made in Japan. A real good one is going to run between $35 and $60 bucks.. Its funny because under survival lighters they also include Zippo's
Maybe a railroad flare is the cheapest and surest bet!!!!

It was bad. 35 F with rain, snow and 25 mph wind gusts. 100% humidity. My pitch shavings and some dry tinder I found on the lee side of the trees is what saved me. My zippo was low on fuel but worked great once I had a big fire going. I think the combination of high humidity and wind contributed to the difficulty. I had no problem finding dry material to get the fire going.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top