Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ruger270, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Ruger270

Ruger270 Quilcene New Member

I found this sight while researching info on a survival lighter. I consider myself an experienced out doors man. and avid hunter. The reason for the survival lighter was a close call I had this last hunting season with hyperthermia in the North Cascades. I carry a complete fire starting kit with me when ever I am hunting and even equipped with this Kit I almost bought the farm. Two BIC lighters a zippo and a dozen strike anywhere matches along with pitch tinder and flint and manganese I got the fire going with the last match. The humidity, wind and rain were almost too much to overcome.
    If I had a survival lighter it would have been Fire ON!! Ok so much for my story .
    I hope to share information on shooting and learn from the other members on this forum.

2. TippyTop

TippyTop Bremerton, WA Member

Whats the website? And welcome to NW Firearms!

3. Barone20

Barone20 Damascus, Or Active Member

Welcome, what lighter did u get?

4. mattg521

mattg521 portland.,or Member

Second that. Spill the beans.

5. Ruger270

I still dont have a survival lighter but I have been doing some research. Just google Survival lighter and all kinds of selections come up. Ebay has some cheap ones (China!! do you want to risk your life with their crap) and then there are some not so cheap ones made in Japan. A real good one is going to run between $35 and $60 bucks.. Its funny because under survival lighters they also include Zippo's
    Maybe a railroad flare is the cheapest and surest bet!!!!

6. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

no luck with a zippo? I guess you were really in some bad weather.

7. Ruger270

It was bad. 35 F with rain, snow and 25 mph wind gusts. 100% humidity. My pitch shavings and some dry tinder I found on the lee side of the trees is what saved me. My zippo was low on fuel but worked great once I had a big fire going. I think the combination of high humidity and wind contributed to the difficulty. I had no problem finding dry material to get the fire going.