JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all, been living in Portland for a couple of months now and didn't think a community like this existed out here, super happy to have found this place!

Does anyone have any info on how to meet people in the Portland-Metro area who are into guns, conservatism, etc? I feel like I'm the only one out here who is into that kind of stuff... Thanks!

You are the only one!

Just kidding! Hang here and you will find a few. Show up at the fun shoots, like DRRC Rimfire Challenge and TCGC Speed Challenge and you will bump into a big group of friendly folks.

To get a feel for Rimfire Challenge:
First Rimfire Challenge of 2019 - March 9th

Speed Challenge:
Speed Steel at Tri County Gun Club

That's a few ideas. What do you shoot?

Douglas Ridge (DRRC) Garand and High Power clinics are great fun if you are even a little bit into rifles ... and the fun shoot the day after the classes again gets you pulling the trigger and bumping shoulders with some great folks. They are hosting the Small Arms Firing School in June or July ... there may still be space in the clinic.

Regardless,

Welcome!

You are the only one!

Just kidding! Hang here and you will find a few. Show up at the fun shoots, like DRRC Rimfire Challenge and TCGC Speed Challenge and you will bump into a big group of friendly folks.

To get a feel for Rimfire Challenge:
First Rimfire Challenge of 2019 - March 9th

Speed Challenge:
Speed Steel at Tri County Gun Club

That's a few ideas. What do you shoot?

Douglas Ridge (DRRC) Garand and High Power clinics are great fun if you are even a little bit into rifles ... and the fun shoot the day after the classes again gets you pulling the trigger and bumping shoulders with some great folks. They are hosting the Small Arms Firing School in June or July ... there may still be space in the clinic.

Regardless,

Welcome!

Complete newbie to the gun world, had a .22 long rifle growing up that I shot occasionally, along with an XDS & .357 my dad had but nothing beyond that. My best friend in FLA (from Boise originally) really got me into this world, and I want to learn all about it now and be a part of it

Well, a double welcome then, both new to the area and new to the sport!

What firearms do you currently possess (or can borrow)? I guess that's the first important question.

I'd recommend the Garand Clinic then … it's geared for brand new shooters and the M1 Garand rifles are provided if you don't have one of your own. Once you fire the match you are on your way to qualifying to purchase your own M1 from the Civilian Marksmanship Program. This will be a true surplus government issued M1. So you can do this without owning a rifle.

The Rimfire Challenge encourages new shooters. You will need a .22LR rifle, or pistol, or both. You need at minimum a couple of magazines, but five or more is better (so that your stage partners aren't scrambling to reload for you as you shoot). The most popular rifle there is a Ruger 10/22 as they are inexpensive and the magazines are pretty cheap too. You see a lot of Ruger's, Buckmark's etc. on the pistol stages.

Well, a double welcome then, both new to the area and new to the sport!

What firearms do you currently possess (or can borrow)? I guess that's the first important question.

I'd recommend the Garand Clinic then … it's geared for brand new shooters and the M1 Garand rifles are provided if you don't have one of your own. Once you fire the match you are on your way to qualifying to purchase your own M1 from the Civilian Marksmanship Program. This will be a true surplus government issued M1. So you can do this without owning a rifle.

The Rimfire Challenge encourages new shooters. You will need a .22LR rifle, or pistol, or both. You need at minimum a couple of magazines, but five or more is better (so that your stage partners aren't scrambling to reload for you as you shoot). The most popular rifle there is a Ruger 10/22 as they are inexpensive and the magazines are pretty cheap too. You see a lot of Ruger's, Buckmark's etc. on the pistol stages.
I'm looking into getting my .22 shipped out here and that's all I have at the moment. I'm looking into getting my first CC sometime this year, but I need to try before I buy

Welcome. You just found a yuuuuge crowd of (mostly) like minded individuals. Keep reading the forum and you will figure out a lot about the area and the people. Also, come out to the forestry shooting range clean ups. You will not be disappointed!:)

Concelaed Carry firearm, sorry for the shorthand
No problem. It's a CHL in Oregon and a CPL in Washington. Every state has it's own take on it. If going the CHL route, as an Oregon Resident consider getting a Utah permit as well. You can then carry in about 35+ states.

What type of .22 is coming from Florida?

No problem. It's a CHL in Oregon and a CPL in Washington. Every state has it's own take on it. If going the CHL route, as an Oregon Resident consider getting a Utah permit as well. You can then carry in about 35+ states.

What type of .22 is coming from Florida?
That's what I'm planning to do is get OR & UT so I can carry almost anywhere like you said

This is what I have no, by no means anything fancy but was a gift to get me into the sport, hoping with more education and experience I can step up at some point
Model 795

That will work just fine for Rimfire Challenge and Speed Steel, just as it is. That's all you need to get your feet wet and have a great time. You will want to have 5 magazines however, because these type of matches have you shoot each stage five times and you throw out your worst string for scoring purposes.

So, you are given the command to shoot … you shoot 5 - 7 steel targets (the last being the "stop plate" which stops the timer) as quickly as you can. Your time will be announced and then the command to reload will be given and you do it again … for a total of five times. You do this (five rounds of fire) for each of the stages in the match. There are usually 6-8 different stages that you move between and that constitutes the full match. If it sounds like fun it is.

You will be a bit frustrated with the sights that come on the 795, so picking up an inexpensive red dot type of sight will really help your scores but is not necessary for the first few times. You can get by with low cost, low quality since a .22LR has little recoil. This is not necessary at all however so come with what you have, let folks know you are new and you will be squadded with some seasoned shooters to help you along the way. If I'm there I'm happy to shoot with you but I will be 18 days post op from a double knee replacement so I don't think I'll be at this match.

I know Ben (match director and BBQ pro (he brings lunch and it's great)) has mentioned loner pistols in the past, so contact him to see what may be available. You don't have to shoot both, you can do just the rifle stages. You might even be able to do the rifle twice if that's all you have ... that I haven't asked about.

I'll let other folks jump in on the TCGC Speed Challenge, as there are a bunch here that shoot that regularly.

For info:

DRRC Rimfire Challenge

So come on out, it's a great day of fun.

That will work just fine for Rimfire Challenge and Speed Steel, just as it is. That's all you need to get your feet wet and have a great time. You will want to have 5 magazines however, because these type of matches have you shoot each stage five times and you throw out your worst string for scoring purposes.

So, you are given the command to shoot … you shoot 5 - 7 steel targets (the last being the "stop plate" which stops the timer) as quickly as you can. Your time will be announced and then the command to reload will be given and you do it again … for a total of five times. You do this (five rounds of fire) for each of the stages in the match. There are usually 6-8 different stages that you move between and that constitutes the full match. If it sounds like fun it is.

You will be a bit frustrated with the sights that come on the 795, so picking up an inexpensive red dot type of sight will really help your scores but is not necessary for the first few times. You can get by with low cost, low quality since a .22LR has little recoil. This is not necessary at all however so come with what you have, let folks know you are new and you will be squadded with some seasoned shooters to help you along the way. If I'm there I'm happy to shoot with you but I will be 18 days post op from a double knee replacement so I don't think I'll be at this match.

I know Ben (match director and BBQ pro (he brings lunch and it's great)) has mentioned loner pistols in the past, so contact him to see what may be available. You don't have to shoot both, you can do just the rifle stages. You might even be able to do the rifle twice if that's all you have ... that I haven't asked about.

I'll let other folks jump in on the TCGC Speed Challenge, as there are a bunch here that shoot that regularly.

For info:

DRRC Rimfire Challenge

So come on out, it's a great day of fun.
That sounds awesome! I hope I can get my rifle here soon so that I can give it a go, thanks for the info and knowledge and I hope I'll be able to shoot with you soon!

COGS runs a non-profit called Trash No Lands, and honcho's a number of the cleanups in the area. I'm sure that would be a perfect place to meet other shooters. I've never made one, every one has either been on a weekend I'm working, family matter or something else.

I do want to show up … and I have three healthy kids that would come along. Perhaps later this summer when my knees are working again!

On the westside, we have the cleanup scheduled for North Fork Wolf Creek in the Tillamook Forest on April 20, as well.

Glad you found the forum. Welcome to NWFA.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top