JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
:) Hi all
Just joined up when I found a post enquiring about 358w. I know nothing about forums so cut me some slack please. I live in Australia and have an 8lb custom built 358winchester, 22" barrel on L579 Sako action, McMillan stock, love it! 225 Sierra's @ 2520fps 3"H at 100 3"L at 250yds, knocks big Samba & scrub bulls down like lightning. Mine shoots 1/2" @100yds recoil is not as hard as my 308w, pushes harder but doesn't hurt a bit. I have Nosler partitions but the Sierra's are doing the job perfect. I'm using reformed 308 Lapua palmer cases ADI 2206H powder. Never recovered a projectile and unlike my magnums you could eat the bullet hole!
I've been hunting & fishing all my life 65yrs. I'm lucky my good mate is a gunsmith, main calibers are 6mm Remington, 30x47 Lapua, 308w (redundant re 30x47) and my favorite all time cal 358winchester.
I'm a retired builder so I hunt a couple of times a week, mainly Deer, Red's, Samba, Rusa, Fallow & Chital. Don't chase trophy's, venison just before the rut, I come from a large venison loving family and seem to have too many friends that like my jerky:s0114:!
Cheers
Bob

Yes I am, we have very good hunting here, I shoot Rusa & Fallow deer only 10mins from my house. Most look at them as a pest and a threat to traffic, they sneak in and eat peoples gardens, so I get to hunt them.

Yes the powers that be are always changing the laws. We have to have a firearms license to own one then a game (R) license to make sure we know how to shoot them where it hurts the most if you want to shoot game. You need a special license (very hard to get) to have an auto rifle or hand gun (harder) all our guns have to be registered to the serial number, locked in a safe and checked by the cops annually for safe storage, there's more rules hard to decipher just in case they think you're no good. Other than that we can shoot on private property with the owners OK and we can book to hunt in our many, large state forests. If you dot all the I's & cross all the T's its pretty good so far, they would change it all if we didn't kick up a fuss.

Yes the powers that be are always changing the laws. We have to have a firearms license to own one then a game (R) license to make sure we know how to shoot them where it hurts the most if you want to shoot game. You need a special license (very hard to get) to have an auto rifle or hand gun (harder) all our guns have to be registered to the serial number, locked in a safe and checked by the cops annually for safe storage, there's more rules hard to decipher just in case they think you're no good. Other than that we can shoot on private property with the owners OK and we can book to hunt in our many, large state forests. If you dot all the I's & cross all the T's its pretty good so far, they would change it all if we didn't kick up a fuss.

For all the complaints I have about my government, and there are many, I am thankful that we aren't THAT over-governed.

Hi Bane. Thanks for the welcome mate! No I haven't taken any photos of it. Great rifle to use, plain looking, the stocks a dull green McMillan bedded & floated, Mab barrel that I cerecoated with a greenish texture, Swarovski 2.5-10x42 scope, weighs 8lb all up. The 358win (in my opinion) is one of the most efficient underrated calibers made, hot on the heels of the 35 whelen with 10gns less powder in a short action. I'm safely running 225gn Woodleigh PP @ 2570fps, I've Flattened everything up to very big scrub bulls with ease out to 300yds, I don't need anything bigger and the recoil is no problem, my 60kg lady shoots it. I don't take photos this is a Rusa cross Samba. My mate took the photo with his phone View attachment 41111

Welcome to the forum! It sounds a hunter/shooters paradise. Would like to see more about local hunting and your rifles, I am a 6mm Rem. fan also. Again welcome!

G'day mate. Thanks for the welcome. This is new to me, first forum.
What would you like to know?
We have a Deer problem around the fringes of our residential area, Fallow & Rusa Deer come in out of the scrub of a night time and get into people's gardens, the Rusa are in the rut now and the stags are smashing trees ect. I shoot at the local winery as they eat all the new shoots and also at the Rose farm. Deer love new rose shoots. I shot 5 does and a big stag a couple of days ago in the rose farm. I don't waste any of the meat, I feed all my mates and make a lot of jerky to take to the table of knowledge (or table of bullbubblegum my wife says) at the local RSL club where we drink beer and solve the problems of the world. I'm a retired builder so I have plenty of spare time to hunt & fish. The fishing is good here.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top