JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So,

First we saw Springfield Armory coming with the Prodigy, which I picked up and is my first 1911DS/2011.
We've seen 1911 double stacks before, for example from Rock Island and it didn't "pick up" and the reason why is, I believe, the fact that it does not match any of the regular 2011/1911DS successful in the market (i.e. 3-piece system)
Despite the Prodigy issues, it seems to be easy to work on it and accept a large amount of aftermarket parts making it a fairly good pistol for less money than a staccato.
Kimber got jealous and decided to jump in the game but I think going with a 2-piece system (slide and frame) is a mistake.
Opinions?!

It's more Kimbers knock off of Wilsons' EDC X9 than of any 2011/Stacato/prodigy type pistol.

Kimber's done hi-cap 1911 variants in .45 since '99, so if they were to make a 9mm version I wouldn't be surprised. I've had a few of the 45s, some were very good, some not so much.

Just another bandwagon gun to me
yep There was oracle arms at shot show a whole new company. Staccato made the double stack 1911 configuration very popular and more will make them now. This will be nice we will get some very nice firearms out of it and it will keep the pricing in check. I love my Springfield prodigy and wouldn't mind getting a shorter barrel, maybe another manufacture to compare.

It's more Kimbers knock off of Wilsons' EDC X9 than of any 2011/Stacato/prodigy type pistol.

Kimber's done hi-cap 1911 variants in .45 since '99, so if they were to make a 9mm version I wouldn't be surprised. I've had a few of the 45s, some were very good, some not so much.
I had an early model Dbl-Stack full size 15 rd mags in 4" length. Shot to point of aim, liked it but traded way back when for a piston AR. Liked the shorty so much I bought a 5" years ago. It's also a shooter. Not trading this time. With 6 mags, it's in my Grab-N-Go bag.

I have been in the double stack 1911 world since they first became available from Para Ordinance and Caspian, and it was Para ( Along with Kimber) who really figured it all out! When the 2011 series came along they really took off, and while they are infinitely more customizable, they are NOT as strong ( Initially) as the Para or Caspian designs!) The 2011's do have their place, mostly in the competitions, But I wouldn't trust one as a fighting piece unless you had a full metal frame/grip, as the fastening system isn't all that strong! There used to be a Milled Billet Grip available for the 2011's and I have two of them on my builds, but sadly, that company went belly up, so it's back to the molded plastic grips which SUCK!
I daily a Rock Island hybrid, it's bomb proof and reliable as any 1911 could be, and scary accurate, what's not to like with that!
As to Kimber going with a Two Piece design, I see it mostly a copy of the Para design, which was right Right from the beginnings, and with them in the game, it also means more options available! The Double Stack is here to stay, and with more folks following my lead in carrying a full size fighting iron, and DEMANDING a good 1911 Double Stack, it makes the most sense, and despite many poor experiences with Kimber ( Not my own) I still like them!

I kinda like it. I could do without the front slide serrations and it's an interesting choice of leaving off the rail this day in age.

Kimber being Kimber, if these do well, expect the full gamut of size and finish variations in the near future.

I'm very curious what magazines they are using.

I thought they were using some proprietary mag.
My early 1911 45ACP Dbl-stack Kimber accept Para 14 round mags.

I did somewhat regrettably pay around $120 each for 2 Kimber hi-cap mags shortly after the '94 Assault Weapon Ban when these were in high demand/short supply. Para P-14s are more readily available and don't recall paying more than $30 each, but it's been years since I bought any.

My early 1911 45ACP Dbl-stack Kimber accept Para 14 round mags.

I did somewhat regrettably pay around $120 each for 2 Kimber hi-cap mags shortly after the '94 Assault Weapon Ban when these were in high demand/short supply. Para P-14s are more readily available and don't recall paying more than $30 each, but it's been years since I bought any.
BTW, full size 10 round versions are available - but not P-12 (short grip style) in the full sz grip ver.

Pulling up an older thread here.

I finally handled the KDS9c last night.

I really wanted to love it. On paper, it seems like a Wilson for half the price. Sadly, it can't hold a candle to Bill's beauty.

The grip serrations are pathetic and they lack
any semblance of traction.

The frame to slide fit was sloppy on the 2 versions that Cabelas had. Terrible for a pistol that costs over $1K.

I really wanted to love it. On paper, it seems like a Wilson for half the price. Sadly, it can't hold a candle to Bill's beauty.

The frame to slide fit was sloppy on the 2 versions that Cabelas had. Terrible for a pistol that costs over $1K.
Good feedback!

The unfortunate, because I think having an affordable option for a edcx9 type was a good idea. The proprietary mags stinks but it happens. The issue is there is a lot of competition in this price range for double stack 9mm now even in more of the 2011 style. I mean platypus, prodigy, oracle arms, p229 legion SAO, and now the CZ shadow 2 compact (my current desire), tough market for gun manufactures. Great market for gun buyers so many options.

I bought a Para P12-45 in the early 90's. It was a good little gun. Too bad Remington got involved... And almost too bad that I sold it after I traded into my Dan Wesson CBOB. (That trade is a success story and there's a thread about it somewhere)
I'm not a 9mm fan, nor was my first (and only) Kimber impressive when it should have been, but the capacity of this gun, plus the fact that it's based on the 1911 appeals to me.
The reports here aren't all that wonderful, but has anyone actually shot one? A lot of times first impressions are not right.
FYI, my old Colt rattled and it was one of the most accurate handguns I've owned.

I keep thinking about the need for a rail.

This would replace my C2 as my nightstand piece. I feel that a rail mounted light is a good idea, but it does seem to violate the "4 rules".
Idk

As to the slide frame fit, I'd rather have it somewhat tight and let it seat itself. It also seems like it's a sign of good production.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top