JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all,

Just introducing myself. Longtime gun lover, but first time gun owner and am still somewhat clueless about guns

Just bought a Glock 17 for a trip down to the desert in Utah. But the lack of a real safety worries me.

Now looking around for a CCW subcompact with safety and maybe a decocker.

My list of options:

1) CZ Rami2075 BD
2) Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact
3) Ruger LC9
4) Springfield XD9

Allow me to be the first person to say welcome to the gun ownership club. Well on here anyway. :)

And so you know, I'm sure other people will flame you a little bit regarding your use of the phrase 'real safety'. Most will point out that your trigger finger is the only 'real safety' you need. And most of them are correct. Well, in my opinion they are correct.

If you want a firearm with standard flip safety, then you are looking at the CZ, the Beretta PX4 and LC9. If you want a backstrap, or grip safety with a glock style finger safety then that is the XD9. I prefer the XD but that is my preference.

Being safe with a firearm and having a safety are not the same thing. I prefer a firearm that has no manual safety. I don't want to have to click off a safety when I'm firing or drawing. I want to know my finger is my safety. But that is me. That is my comfort level.

All of these are just fine firearms. I personally don't like Ruger so I wouldn't go with the LC9.

What you should be looking at, is training. Not a safety. Invest more time in training with your Glock 17. Take the money you would spend, and buy ammo and take classes. Join one of the ranges in Portland. Get active in the IDPA groups. Or IPSC groups. Get away from the bench rest hole making normal indoor ranges.

In my not so humble opinion, training and experience are much better than a mechanical flip switch when it comes to being safe.

M

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads