JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When I was at my mom's house picking up my Winchester .308 semi they had found another revolver that my dad had stashed away. It was a Colt Trooper .357. The serial number says it is from the 1964 time frame.

It is a good hefty gun, that's for sure. I really like how smooth and easy the trigger pull is in both DA and SA... and it probably hasn't been cleaned or oiled in years. It needs a good cleaning but it seems to be in pretty good shape with the usual wear on it. I've not decided yet, but I may clean it up and put it up for sell since I now have 2 other .357's and a .38 Special to play with.

ColtTrooperLeft1214.jpg

ColtTrooperRight1217.jpg

Mike

Yes, it was my dad, but he bought it in 1992, long after I had grown up and moved away, I don't believe he ever mentioned it, at least not that I can recall, so I have no sentimental attachment to it. His Smith & Wesson .38 Special I have is a different story. He had that one as long as I can remember and wore it when camping and hunting just about everywhere. That one I won't sell for that reason. The same with the Winchester .308 semi that he used for hunting as I was growing up. We also had a bolt action .22 rifle that was the first rifle I ever shot, but my sister got that because I'd already spoken for the .38 so she had 2nd choice. Those all have a lot of sentimental value to me.

If I decide to keep the Trooper it will be because it's a great shooting gun and because I like the look and feel of it. Now the 2 Ruger Security Six SS .357 revolvers I have are great looking pistols but the 6" one is just too new stiff for my liking and that will probably be the first one I'll sell so I can buy something else. It would defiantly go before the Trooper would. Even the 4" barrel one would go before the Trooper would. I want to shoot them first though before I make any decisions. The Trooper may not shoot worth beans. :)

I did some research on holsters for it and I saw several recommendations to look for a Colt Python holster and that should fit it pretty well, so I'm going to be looking at pawn shops and any gun shows in the local area for one for it. The gun defiantly deserves a leather holster.

Mike

Ah, but it's not for sale, Dean. At least I don't have any plans to sell it any time soon. It may not be all shiny new like some old guns but it sure is a sweet one to me. :)

Mike

You mentioned possibly selling it in your opening post. That's what I was responding to.
Glad you found something you like.
Those don't come down the pike every day.
Enjoy it, and congrats on a great grab. :s0090:

Dean

You are right, Dean, I did. I only had it about 8 hours then (and 4 of those were on the road) and I didn't know what I had and I was hungry, tried and not thinking straight (obviously :D) but I came to my senses after getting some rest and cleaning the pistol up. I have decided to sell at least one of my other .357 revolvers instead (probably the 6" Ruger Security Six as I like the 4" Security Six better but not as well as the Trooper). But you never know. The only gun I have a lot of sentimental attachment to is the S&W .38 Special that my dad got when I was very young and I'd wanted for a long time. It was one of the very few things I told him while he was alive that when he died I wanted. The Trooper he bought in 1992 and there isn't anything sentimental about it, I just like it. I don't know if I still will after I shoot it though. :)

Thanks, Dean.

Mike

The .38 Smith has my interest peaked, but it doesn't sound like that's ever going up for sale.
Sounds like a nice little arsenal you've got there.
Did you ever post pics of that collection?
There's a thread for that --> Show your guns!.

...just sayin'...;)

Dean

Yes, the S&W was the first picture I posted on here when I joined the forum. At the time it was the only gun I had with me. Below is the picture of it before it was cleaned up so I need to get more pictures of it.

LeftSide1194.jpg

RightSide1197.jpg

It looks like my dad stored it in it's holster most of the time but it still feels solid. The gunsmith that took it apart and cleaned it test fired it and said it is still in pretty good shape inside.

Mike

When I was at my mom's house picking up my Winchester .308 semi they had found another revolver that my dad had stashed away. It was a Colt Trooper .357. The serial number says it is from the 1964 time frame.

It is a good hefty gun, that's for sure. I really like how smooth and easy the trigger pull is in both DA and SA... and it probably hasn't been cleaned or oiled in years. It needs a good cleaning but it seems to be in pretty good shape with the usual wear on it. I've not decided yet, but I may clean it up and put it up for sell since I now have 2 other .357's and a .38 Special to play with.

View attachment 501394

View attachment 501395

Mike
You would sell your Dad's gun. You must not have had much of a connection.

You must not have read the thread, Oleman and just because I sell something that belonged to my dad does not reflect on our relationship or how connected we were. I keep the things that are important to me and don't worry about the rest.

Mike

Dang! We're just BEATIN' up on Mike!
...can't post a dam thing without some yahoo havin' some kinda BS to say about it, eh?

:D;)

It's ok bud, we still love ya'. :s0104: :s0090:

Dean