JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New to this site. Wandered in looking at K31's and recent legislation. I hunt, fish, and shoot as a way of life. Born 200 years too late I suppose.

The frequent use of the term "bubble-gumming" around here was new to me. I had to google the term. Still not sure I understand the lingo.

That's a nice one!! I don't have anything near that old. I've had a few caplocks but the only current one is an old kit rifle I assembled myself. My hunting rifle is a Knight Bighorn.
Never yet owned a flintlock, but will some day.

New to this site. Wandered in looking at K31's and recent legislation. I hunt, fish, and shoot as a way of life. Born 200 years too late I suppose.

The frequent use of the term "bubble-gumming" around here was new to me. I had to google the term. Still not sure I understand the lingo.
Welcome aboard newbie!… I've been here almost 2 weeks now. You'll love it. I'm relatively new to Vancouver, not much of a hunter, and primarily chase carp on the Washougal or fly fish the headwaters for trout.

Welcome aboard newbie!… I've been here almost 2 weeks now. You'll love it. I'm relatively new to Vancouver, not much of a hunter, and primarily chase carp on the Washougal or fly fish the headwaters for trout.
There was a Force Recon unit in Las Flores while I was there. That was a while back.
Carp in the Washougal you say….

There was a Force Recon unit in Las Flores while I was there. That was a while back.
Carp in the Washougal you say….
Yes. There is a reserve unit there I believe.
And Yes there are some monster carp in the Washougal near the mouth up to the bridge. But that's not saying much. There are European carp in just about every body of fresh water in the US. The Feds stocked them just after the Civil War to feed a growing Nation. I fished salmon and steelhead most of my life in Southern Oregon. Carp were trash fish. Mostly locals still think it's crazy to fish for them. One day I met this Russian guy at the edge of Silver lake with 5 gallon bucket stuffed full, tails hanging over the top, and there were only two of them in there. They're actually good eating if baked or poached. The rib bones are thick as popsicle sticks…not easy to filet. In Eastern Europe/Asia Carp is always served for Christmas dinner. I mostly catch and release. I'll keep one for crawdad bait-as there is none better. But the best part is hooking them. Pound for pound they are hands down the best sport on rod and reel. Smart as hell too. You'd think they would be easy as pie to load up on but nope. Took me a year before I caught one.

Welcome to the forum...!
"Bubblegum"...is the site's default word in place of swear words....:D

200 years too late....
Here is a rifle for you then....
It's my J.Henry flintlock Trade Rifle...circa 1800- 1820's.
Still gets used as a hunting rifle from time to time....:D
Andy
Andy, what is something like that worth nowaday's?

I remember when I was about 5 years old (over 60 years ago) that my parents inherited my grandma's house. I remember a flintlock in the basement with lots of other "junk" my parents thought.

They took it all to the dump. :(

Welcome Diesel !

GLAD you are HERE!

:s0010::s0007::s0003::s0014::s0015::s0038::s0139::s0115::s0023::s0090:

I remember when I was about 5 years old (over 60 years ago) that my parents inherited my grandma's house. I remember a flintlock in the basement with lots of other "junk" my parents thought.

What is that rifle worth...?
To me...priceless...since I use it for many things.

I teach firearm and fur trade history with it....
It gets used as a hunting rifle from time to time...
It also gets used at rendezvous and shoots , as a chance for interested people ( young and old ) , to actually handle and shoot a firearm from the 1800's -1820's.
So as to get a real idea of them and what they can do , versus "common knowledge" from TV , books , youtube and the like.

When I bought it 10 odd years ago it was around $800 ....not sure what it would be worth now.
Andy

You think that's bad,but my mom through away my GI Joe and Evil Kneival!

Ok that is pretty bad. The junk our grandparents threw out… I don't even want to imagine. All I have is hand me downs in my house for basic furnishings but it's the tools I love the most. Our ancestors had some serious skills and they were tough as nails.
My wife tells me I was born in the wrong century but honestly, there's a reason they died young and I doubt that I'd have enjoyed marching headlong into a volley of fire with that flintlock. Gratitude

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Check out the organized clean ups. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

We are doing non ODF supported cleanups at public forests - check the North Fork Wolf Creek Road thread in resources.

If you really want to get involved in community action check out Trash No Land.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top