JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Only used a wrench on a Wesson, fingers worked but got pretty sore.

I've had/have a bunch of Springfield's and have always been happy with them. Had the custom shop build me a long slide 10mm back when they used to do custom work. I don't like using tools to disassemble 1911's, on my compacts and champions (bull barrels) I take the slide off 1st them pull out the spring. Some don't think you can w/out the disassembly tool (paper clip) but you can, it's a little work with a new spring but it gets easier as they wear in.

Personally I'd take a Springer over a colt for a shooter but that's just me. Colt has been round and round w/quality over the years, I hear things are decent at the moment. Only ever had one, wasn't impressed, poorly fitted, average shooter at best but ran everything w/out issues. Only reason to have one IMO is for the pony. Used to be Colt's prices were above other 1911 manufacturers for base model guns, these days they're more in line w/others but you still pay a little bit more to have a pony on the side.

If you put that Colt side by side w/your son's new GI model it would probably only be a matter of opinion which one was the better gun but the colt will cost you more. Personally I think that pony's seen better days.

I have recently seen some nice Colt's come out of the custom shop, and I think the Wiley Clapp is a good deal for what you get. Colt does offer more models and options on base guns than most shops so there is that. Price point is quite a bit different when moving away from base guns and once you're into Dan Wesson/Les Baer territory well.... then your into DW's and Baers :)

Last Edited:
I have owned a many different 1911s. Several Colts. A Gold Cup, 2-combat commanders,
Combat Elite, Para and a Kimber. I had some problems with the Colts. Safety plunger
tube came loose on 2 different Colts.:confused: Had it worked on but still not very solid. I
bought this SA 1911-A1 from a member recently. It is the tightest frame to slide fit of any
1911 I have owned. Smooth and functions perfect. 20 rounds off hand at 14 yards
DSC00206.JPG

That's a very nice Group and a very good looking piece of hardware.

As usual there's a pretty easy fix for the Plunger Tube problem. In 1976 I picked up a used 1911A1 and when I decided to refinish it I took it completely apart including the Plunger Tube. When I put the Gun back together I fixed the problem and it has stayed fixed ever since.:):):) So, as far as I'm concerned it isn't a problem.:):):)

That's a very nice Group and a very good looking piece of hardware.

As usual there's a pretty easy fix for the Plunger Tube problem. In 1976 I picked up a used 1911A1 and when I decided to refinish it I took it completely apart including the Plunger Tube. When I put the Gun back together I fixed the problem and it has stayed fixed ever since.:):):) So, as far as I'm concerned it isn't a problem.:):):)
I took it to a gunsmith Allison and Carey, to tighten the plunger tube on the frame. New Stainless
Combat Commander. Never worked that well still a little loose.:confused::mad: My Gold Cup was a little
loose too.:( I like the way the Ruger is made this plunger tube integral with frame. Not a staked on part.:D

I am disappointed that there is not a bushing wrench included.
That wrench, that wrench was the force to spark my interest again. I bought a safe, and after installation, I found a wrench in a crevasse on the bottom. My hunt was finding out what the wrench was for. I just bought my first 1911 SF. I got the wrench covered. Lol

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top