JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think of all the AR odd caliber options the 24/45 sharps sounds like the most appealing to me. I like the fact that you only need to swap out a barrel and your good to go.

I might try one at some point.

Although they don't discuss them, I think I would prefer 110 grns or the 117/120 grns for hunting,
and the A-2 (M-16) style platform with a 18" or 20" barrel doesn't bother me at all.
Most of the AR fans that I know have the M-4 concept carbines with the 16" barrel.
I'm sure the round is adequate in either one:cool:

Although they don't discuss them, I think I would prefer 110 grns or the 117/120 grns for hunting,

I think that one would find that it would be impossible to fit either of those bullet weights into this cartridge, and still be able to fit inside and function in a standard AR15 magazine. If you did manage to seat a heavy bullet way back into the case so that it would be able to function, I think that the case's powder capacity would then be very adversely affected.

They are using Speer's 87 grain bonded Hot-Cor bullet in their ammo. The Speer Hot-Cor is a pretty tough bullet, so it should penetrate quite well.

The ammo is not very affordable at $25.45 for 20 rounds. But if a person bought reloading dies, the good news is that the Speer Hot-Cor is itself an affordable bullet. So reloading to duplicate the factory ammo should be quite easy and affordable to do.

I think ballisticly both the 6.5 Grendel and the 6.8 SPC are a more potent round, However both require special mags and bolts. The appeal of the SRC round to me is that I can continue to use everything I already own short of just a barrel. For $250 bucks or less I could be shooting a more potent AR cartridge. I already own a dozen bolts and 40+ magazines that would accept the round.

I think ballisticly both the 6.5 Grendel and the 6.8 SPC are a more potent round, However both require special mags and bolts. The appeal of the SRC round to me is that I can continue to use everything I already own short of just a barrel. For $250 bucks or less I could be shooting a more potent AR cartridge. I already own a dozen bolts and 40+ magazines that would accept the round.

That is the real beauty of this cartridge, that it is so affordable to get into. It is clearly not as powerful as these other options, but judging from these videos that you posted, it also does not recoil as badly as they do. And that would be rather nice. Especially if one wanted to use this round for self-defense purposes.

And if a person already has an extra upper, they could just swap out the barrels, and that would be it. Would make a great round for Coyotes, and would not be a bad option for the Blacktail Deer that we have in Western Oregon and Washington. Many people have successfully hunted Blacktails here in Oregon with the 5.56mm

I would really like to see some videos of ballistic gel tests done with this ammo. If anyone comes across such videos, pleaes do post a link.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top