JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I always thought a cool project would be to print AR15 receiver covers. It would be used in transporting or storage. Basically, separate the lower from the upper then put cover lids for both receivers to prevent dust getting in the innards. Lower would be secured by the takedown and pivot pin and the top by corresponding holes. Then you could store the gun in a smaller footprint. For a pistol or SBR, it should fit in a backpack.
Used to be a guy on Etsy who did exactly that, moved to Amazon after Etsy went MIlitant Hoplophobe. His latest version incorporates some suggestions I made... (The original required a cocked hammer, I suggested adding a hammer-down pocket.)

@Gbirk Might have something for ya... Ever seen a Midwest Industries 10/22 handguard? Looking for something similar but length for a 6" barrel--if you've seen my "Ruger Briefcase" pics it's everything from the blue-tape back to the chamber on that.

Or, may need to ask you about some 3d-printed miniature ships... :)

@Gbirk next time you are at Tigard Pawn, maybe you could take a look at the H5000 rifle they have on the rack chambered in 30-06. It is missing the magazine and they are just about impossible to find and very expensive.

The rifle is pretty much unsellable with out a magazine, as you would have to insert a cartridge into the chamber to load it and it might not eject well either.

I was thinking a bob sled type block would make it work for single loading a round on to the block and allow it to eject fired cases.

Something like this might be a good 3d printing candidate.

Original H5000 mags look similar to this design.

Next gun related print:
Rugged Oculus Baffle alignment tool.

Reassembling the Oculus for best suppression requires aligning the baffles in the tube. This tool makes it much easier than the twist and hope method described in the manual.
PXL_20230630_175944626.jpg PXL_20230630_175954247.jpg PXL_20230630_180000938.jpg PXL_20230630_180027135.jpg

@Gbirk Might have something for ya... Ever seen a Midwest Industries 10/22 handguard? Looking for something similar but length for a 6" barrel--if you've seen my "Ruger Briefcase" pics it's everything from the blue-tape back to the chamber on that.

Or, may need to ask you about some 3d-printed miniature ships... :)
I can't find the Ruger Breifcase pictures. Do you have a link?

Friday, I received a new 3D printer to play with. This is my 1st foray into 3D printing and design. I set the printer up Saturday morning and after a few YouTube videos and trial and error was able to do a test print of the included rabbit figurine.
View attachment 1154450View attachment 1154451

Hey! That's pretty cool!

So, next thing was to try to design something myself. There is a free site by AutoDesk called TinkerCAD for doing simple designs, so I created an account and went to work. it took several hours and a few versions, but I was able to design a storage box for my CMMG .22LR bolt conversion. 14 hours later............

TaaDaa! A box with a slide-lock lid to hold my bolt.

View attachment 1154491View attachment 1154492View attachment 1154493

And it holds the AR15 bolt while I am using the conversion.
View attachment 1154494

Before, I just used cardboard tubes, and they are probably cheaper and more durable, but I made this (my 2nd print and 1st self-designed item), so I am a little proud of it.
View attachment 1154495View attachment 1154496

Do any of you do 3D printing and have some interesting prints to share? Maybe we need a "What did you print today" thread.

Well, I am downloading Fusion3D to start teaching myself how to do some more advanced designs. Wish me luck!
How are you liking the CR touch? Just upgraded my hotend/extruder to the Sprite

How are you liking the CR touch? Just upgraded my hotend/extruder to the Sprite
I picked up a Bambu Labs X1C about 8 months ago and have not touched the Ender since. The Bambu Labs printer is just soooo good.
I just donated the Ender to my daughter's school to get it out of the way.

I picked up a Bambu Labs X1C about 8 months ago and have not touched the Ender since. The Bambu Labs printer is just soooo good.
I just donated the Ender to my daughter's school to get it out of the way.
Well how did you like it? lol
I want to get a bambu but saving for a wedding and a house has put that on the back burner for a while

Honestly it is like magic. It just works.
The Ender was a hobby in itself just to get it to print (let alone print well), and The X1c is like an appliance. I had given up on printing because it took so long to get a decent quality print out, and now I am really enjoying designing stuff and just hitting print. For me it was defiantly worth it because I want to make stuff for fun and utility, my hobby is not the printer, it is just a tool I use.

Dude bucking this. I swear I'll get it tuned in running nice get about 3-10 good prints then it bubblegums the bed again. At this point I'm just slowly upgrading it until its not really an ender 3 anymore.
Man, honestly I would save your money on the upgrades and go for a P1P ($599) or P1S ($699) when you can. They are just amazing.

Um, Cough, cough, I guess I'm a bit of a printaholic I have um, six 3d printers, one Creality CR10, one Creality Ender 3, two Longer LK4's, one QIDI I-MATES and a PRUSA i3 MK3/S.
It all started with the CR10, learned a lot about how to troubleshoot these machines and how much I hate glass beds. Next came the Ender 3, much better experience however still Chinese quality. The Longers are basically cheaper yet Chineese clones of the ender 3, bought both used with almost no use. The Ender 3 and Longers all started out fairly trouble free and worked good for awhile before frequent problems started occurring.
That brought me to the QIDI printer and a fairly trouble free printer, only gripe is it doesn't have automatic leveling, however once leveled it stays in trim quite well.
The newest to me is the PRUSA, saw it on farcebook with a supply of filament that was worth more than the asking price by itself. Seems the PRUSA was bought as a kit, mostly assembled less one missing drive belt. After buying the parts to upgrade it to the MK3/S version and un "F"ing the assembly mistakes the previous owner had made before he became frustrated and sold it at a very significant loss I learned why the PRUSA printers are so well respected. It just works.

For now the PRUSA is my main work hoarse and the QIDI getting used more for those filaments needing an enclosed printer.

The Creality and Longer printers need to go on the block before the loose too much more value, Figure for what I can get back from them I can pay for half of another good printer.

Now for those wondering why so many printers? Even "fast" 3d printers are slooow, very small prints can take hours and larger prints can take days.

Have been hearing good things about the Bambu Labs printers just not the best reports on the timeliness of their tech support, aside from that and their proprietary nature they are very tempting machines.

Honestly my next addition will likely be another PRUSA for the same reason as I like my Toyota, they just work...
TTFN

Newest design/print is a TPU vise clamp for a BA .308 barrel. I need to drill out the gas port and wanted a way to securely hold the barrel without damaging the finish. I know I could have just used some rubber pads or even a towel, but what is the fun in that?

This is the 1st design I have done using a "grown-up" design tool. All my previous designs were done in TinkerCAD which is surprisingly useful, but I did this one in Fusion 360. Fusion 360 is amazing and even blundering around in it trying to find the tools I wanted I think it was faster to do this design than TinkerCAD would have been. P.S. FILLETS are sooo easy in Fusion 360 and such a pain in the a$$ is TinkerCAD. Fillets alone make learning Fusion worth it.

Link if you want it: https://www.printables.com/model/678810-vise-block-for-balistic-advantage-308-fluted-barre

PXL_20231212_183308299.jpg

PXL_20231212_183312648.jpg

Last Edited:
Sig P226/P228/P229 E2 grip (one piece) removal tool.

I got tired of using zip-ties and toothpicks so I designed a tool (based of the P227 tool I bought) to remove the grips on my P226.
Just barely getting the hang of Fusion360 now. Still soooo much to learn. I only started this project over three times before getting it right. I guess that is progress.

PXL_20240212_025927060.jpg

i recently got the Creality K1 MAX and the Bambu Labs Carbon X1. Those two with Orca Slicer have a learning curve but the end products are fantastic. I still use cura on the two CR-10 Smarts.
The only down side is print volume for the K1 and X1

i recently got the Creality K1 MAX and the Bambu Labs Carbon X1. Those two with Orca Slicer have a learning curve but the end products are fantastic. I still use cura on the two CR-10 Smarts.
The only down side is print volume for the K1 and X1
I have not tried Orca yet, but it sounds like I need to. I have heard a lot of good things about it. My old Ender printer got donated to a school because I just never used it any more. The X1C has been flawless.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads