JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Just curious, but have you ever shot a contender in 45-70? Brutal for the baddest beast, to say the least. Looks fun, until you try to do a 40 round silhouette match.

I own a bbl in 375 winchester, a fair amount of recoil but managable for a few rounds. My 375 big bore had more felt recoil than my guide gun with factory loads.
I will probably not be surprised by the recoil.
I also own a light weight bbl in 44Mag.(bought used, an impulse purchase at a show)much more felt recoil than the 375 and not to be fired much in the future (I'll sell it to you cheap if you are interested).

I already have 2 44 barrels and don't like shooting either of them. A 45-70 uses a much larger bullet at higher velocity. If you don't like the .44, what makes you think the 45-70 is going to feel good? Have you ever shot one?

I shoot metallic silhouette (since the late 70's) and have seen just about every caliber imaginable that a contender will handle. I new a 6' 7" 350 lb monster of a man who would literally beat the crap (picking it up and slamming it down) out of a vending machine, because it ripped him off for 25 cents, use a 45-70 contender in a match about 1980. He walked off the line whimpering in pain 8 rounds into the match never to shoot it again. It was sad and funny at the same time, like and AFV episode.

Hey, I am not trying to tell you what you want. I am just telling you that you will probably regret the purchase if you can find it and buy to shoot it. They are not common and haven't been made for nearly 3 decades, so it will be somewhat collectable.

Here is a recoil calculator for you. ShootersCalculator.com | Recoil Calculator

.44 mag from 3 lb gun (contender weighs less) with 240 gr bullet, 25 grains powder, 1300 fps, 10" bbl = 20.19 ft-lbs.

.375 win from 3.5 lb gun with 235 gr bullet, 36 gr powder, 1700 fps, 14" bbl = 30.43 ft-lbs. I am betting you are using a much lighter load if you are getting less recoil than a 44.

45-70 from 3.5 lb gun, 400 gr bullet, 45 gr powder, 1500 fps, 14" bbl = 61.68 ft-lbs

Your results may vary, but I feel I must warn you of the pain you have coming your way if successful in your hunt.

Here is where you will likely find your punishment: ;)

Thompson Center Encore Classifieds: Search for 45-70

My T/C weighs only 2lb. 8oz. with the light weight 10" bbl. and with a heavy load 240gr. 44mag. round it is a monster.
The 375 Winchester load is a 220gr. JFP @2100fps from a rifle, I do not know the speed from a T/C.
My T/C weighs 3lb. 5oz. with the 16" bbl. and produces less felt recoil than the 44mag. The muzzle brake may help a bit.
The 45-70 load that I was refering to is a reduced recoil round loaded with IMR Trail Boss powder.
405gr. LRNFP @ 1007fps. and should be manageable for moderate fun shooting from a heavier gun.
Sometimes you just have to scratch an itch.
Thanks for the link.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.