JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I need help locating a gunsmith with experience working on the Ruger Mini 14. Trigger job for sure, perhaps a bolt tuning. Not sure what else is recommended.

Can anyone offer any guidance? Portland area, preferably East side around Clackamas if possible. If not, anything in the area is great.

Does anyone have positive experience with one that they can share?

Ruger factory Triggers just hideously suck and is just the way it goes . I just take them for what they are and the normalcy for Ruger factory crapola . You can pull the trigger group apart easy and polish-up a little and it helps break but still got a mile of creep .

Mini-14's, they are easy to work on if you are any type of backyard garage McGiver . I Have done a few Mini's for myself and all I do is change-out the Gas-Plug that lays in-between the gas block and barrel gas port . Easy to work on and very simple mechanical design .
Mini's come out of the factory over gassed to the point of throwing brass 8 benches down the line & recoil very rude plus hard on optics . NEEDS smaller gas-plug hole and you do that and do ( recoil buffers,) it's like a different rifle .

Yeah, I know about the the crappy Ruger triggers, that's why I was asking about a gunsmith. I have an adjustable gas-plug on order but I'd like to do something about the creepy trigger, hence the request for a gunsmith.

Yeah, I know about the the crappy Ruger triggers, that's why I was asking about a gunsmith. I have an adjustable gas-plug on order but I'd like to do something about the creepy trigger, hence the request for a gunsmith.
-
You sound lazy or not very serious on doing it .
Mini-14 has a crap trigger BUT the complete trigger-group does just pull-out all in one unit and just clik's back into with one hand . SOooooo Easy .
Like I was saying in my last Post . There is not much easier to do than clean-up a Mini14 trigger group your self or get it off for service.
Aftermarket trigger parts out there for (do-it-yourself) . Or Just yank the Complete Trigger group out of you rifle with your finger and use the Postal Service (flat rate small box 5.80-$ ) to get your trigger-group to a person/bushiness that is very current on doing a trigger job . Nothing much more easier than that . So Just DO IT .
-
http://www.mini14triggers.com/

Buy an Adjustable Trigger ...
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rs/mini-14-30-adjustable-trigger-prod167.aspx

JARD ...
<broken link removed>

GunDOC / great western ...
<broken link removed>
-----
-

-
You sound lazy or not very serious on doing it .

Well, I am serious but I never thought about adjusting the trigger myself.. I'm not the most mechanically inclined. That said, I appreciate the pointers and the good nature suggestions. I'll do some more research and give it a go, after all, if you could do it, how hard could it possibly be? ;-)

Thanks!

Well, I am serious but I never thought about adjusting the trigger myself.. I'm not the most mechanically inclined. That said, I appreciate the pointers and the good nature suggestions. I'll do some more research and give it a go, after all, if you could do it, how hard could it possibly be? ;-)
Thanks!
-
Not hard at all and I am just a garage McGivering monkey .
The one mini14 that I still have in safe and is a keeper . I cut barrel down to 16 inch , Threaded the muzzle 1/2x28 and put on flash hide . re-cut roll pin grove and Re-attatched front sight blade . Lathed down a nice Gas-plug with the appropriate hole size . and prefabricated both front & rear recoil buffers fir the Op Rod out of Kerby vacuum drive-belt, to not have the Op rod slamming metal to metal directionally both ways .cut off the cheep Ruger sling attachment rings and put on nice sling clips and Nice nylon Sling also .
Everybody who pulls trigger on it say's ... It's the smoothest Mini-14 they ever shot .
But I rarely id ever shoot it, as I always grab the AR's for accuracy and quality rifle and triggers .,..LOL.hahahah

I can recommend Gun Doc / Great Western. He did my mini's trigger. It's AWESOME!
This. Gun Doc knows whats up with the mini's. I had one that he did a bunch of work to. The trigger was pretty dang good when he was done with it. He is out in West Salem. Its a bit of a drive, but you can probably just drop your trigger group in a flat rate box for cheaper than it is to drive there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top