JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to buy a small gun to conceal carry and have my head wrapped around a few guns but want people's opinions on which is the best. Ruger LCP .380, Smith & Wesson Bodygaurd, Smith & Wesson M&P Shield, Kel
-Tec PF9. What are peoples thoughts on the four guns. Thanks for you input.

The wife and I like our PF9's. We have the houge grip covers, and the +1 mag extensions.
Don't know about the other three...

O wait. thats right, we have NO guns...... ;)

I just wrote out a really long winded reply and then accidentally deleted it. :) Probably for the better cause it was really way too long.

I own the shield and like it. Heavier than the other three, but great trigger and weight helps with recoil. But I'm a M&P fan, so I'm kinda biased.

Have shot the LC9 and didn't care for it. Trigger just felt really skinny and uncomfortable (to me).

Just don't see the reason for the .380 anymore. Can get a 9mm for same size and weight, get a better round ballistically. Plus the 9mm is cheaper than .380 ammo which means more shooting/more practice. HOWEVER... the BodyGuard does come with a laser. And I think you can get them for about $350.00. I think the laser is not one of the top brand names, but still.... That's a great value.

Tough to beat the PF9. Super thin, super light, and really inexpensive. You can get one for around $250.00. That's almost half the price of the Shield. And the PF9 is a proven One Shot Stopper. :)

Personally I hate it when you ask about specific guns and someone always says, "You should look at the ____ also", so I'm sorry that I'm about to do it to you now. :(

but the Kahr CW9 (Not the CM9 that everyone talks about),but the CW9.... I feel is almost the absolute perfect concealed carry gun. I had the P9 (same size.weight,capacity) before my shield and it's nearly a daily occurrence that I think about going back to it. Perfect size, fit's the whole hand, but nothing more, thin, light, great reputation, and inexpensive.

I'm also a big fan of the Hogue grips. Had em on my Shield and my P9 until I switch to Talon Grips and I like those much better.

Great choices though... and all American Made. :)

Have CW9 myself, and I love it. I prefer the striker-fire pistol over other types anyway. CW9 with DA trigger requires no additional safety, and the trigger is smooth with clean break, I can conceal it in my cargo pockets, jacket pockets, as well as in various types of holsters. I am thinking about getting Glock 26 for my next purchase, but will definitely keep CW9.

Have CW9 myself, and I love it. I prefer the striker-fire pistol over other types anyway. CW9 with DA trigger requires no additional safety, and the trigger is smooth with clean break, I can conceal it in my cargo pockets, jacket pockets, as well as in various types of holsters. I am thinking about getting Glock 26 for my next purchase, but will definitely keep CW9.

I have the bodyguard currently. I went from the KelTec P3at I didn't like it at all felt really cheap and I didn't like the feel. I do really like the Bodyguard I purchased but .380 is very expensive to shoot. I can shoot one of my .45's for the same price.
That being said I just did a bunch of research and ordered the Kahr CM9, it is waiting at my FFL for my pick up. I have a bunch of other 9mm's and will prob get rid of the bodyguard after awhile. Oh yeah and the laser on the bodyguard kinda sucks you have to push a button in the front to turn it on, and it is kinda hard to push.

I really wanted the Shield but everyone says it is just a tad too big for pocket carry.

Had an LCP.. I didn't like that the sights were soooo tiny.

Have a bodyguard 380 now. Feels better, easier for me to grip, has sights and a laser if you want to use it...
My complaint is the trigger is long and heavy.
I know someone is going to tell me I need to work on trigger control, but I didn't have a problem with the LCP trigger.

No experience with the PF9 or shield, but heard good things about both, especially the shield.

Overall, the bodyguard is a GREAT little gun.

I think it'll strictly be a summer gun for me.
I'll just carry a larger gun whenever possible.

If you want reliable and easy to use, a wheel gun beats the semi auto in my opinion. If you can't hit what you need to in six shots, then stay away from firearms anyway. Smith and Wesson 38 caliber with jacketed hollow points is a great piece to carry.

I carry a Kahr CW9 and love it. My son-in-law carries the LCP. I have shot it and although the sights are useless it points well and has no problem hitting center mass within 10ft. Wife carries a Taurus polymer frame 5 shot .38. Also a great choice.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top