JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for info on a winchester 1897 take down 16ga. serial number 2312xx it has a "c" stamp above it also. Info i need is date of manufacture, what the "c" means. best i can tell its a 1905 but have also seen a source that says its 1903. any help is greatly appreciated thanks.

The letter C:

In February 1898, after about 47,000 shotguns had been made, some changes were made in the Model 1897. Then the gun was marked with the letter "C" over the serial number.
1st. A small wire was put into the receiver and connected to the action slide lock release pin, to hold it from coming out when the gun was taken apart.

2nd. Receiver made 11/2 (one and one half ) hundredths thicker on each side. This was thought best on account of the increased cuts on the inside.

3rd. Action slide lock spring changed.

In April 1898, after about 50,000 shotguns had been made (Model 1893 & 1897)some changes were made, and the model 1897 detachable barrel and magazine put on the market.

Additional changes were made. The first Model 1897's had no ejector spring. ( The ejector was a little block pinned to the receiver wall.)

"C" guns had ejector spring. I don't know if all "B" guns had rounded end magazine plugs. The end of the magazine plug was flat on "D" guns.

"E" guns had slightly deeper 5/16 wide grooves on the receiver ring.

My book shows yours as a 1904 gun. Be aware that it was originally chambered for
2 9/16" ammunition---NOT the 2 3/4" that is standard today. You aren't going to blow it up with a few rounds of 2 3/4", but if you are going to shoot it very much you might
want to have the chamber lengthened for 2 3/4" ammo. I had it done on my '97 16 ga.
takedown.

ya this a friends shot gun. it is actually stamped 2 3/4. The coolest thing on this gun was that some one placed thier hunting license in the butt stock and it was from 1914. he had heard this was pretty common in some older guns that people would do that.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top