JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Need help in the Vancouver area.

I need help fitting and pinning a new barrel onto my Polish underfolder kit. Is there anyone out there with the proper tooling and knowledge that can help/show me how this is done. I'm not sure why I assumed that a new barrel was "plug and play". I guess I have been building ARs for too long. Just another dumb newbie mistake. :s0054:

20151231_183358_zpsh8jmkavt.jpg

I am not a big fan of learning my gunsmithing from YouTube, so I am looking forward to meeting someone local that can help me out.
Thanks

20151231_183358_zpsh8jmkavt.jpg

You'll need (or someone with) a hydraulic press like the ones at Harbor Frieght.

Ask @Velzey, he's a STELLAR gunsmith (in Estacada) and could most likely fix you up for a very reasonable price.

He took a complete AR upper, cut down the barrel (and reassembled the upper) for me, for a great price, and I'm going to hire him to restore a USGI 1911A1 back to MILSPEC glory from the Bubba-ized disgrace that is is ATM.

You'll need (or someone with) a hydraulic press like the ones at Harbor Frieght.

Ask @Velzey, he's a STELLAR gunsmith (in Estacada) and could most likely fix you up for a very reasonable price.

He took a complete AR upper, cut down the barrel (and reassembled the upper) for me, for a great price, and I'm going to hire him to restore a USGI 1911A1 back to MILSPEC glory from the Bubba-ized disgrace that is is ATM.

Yes you will need a press. You will also need the tooling to hold the trunion when pressing the barrel into the trunion. You will also need end mills for your pin cuts. A drill bit will not work.

Yes you will need a press. You will also need the tooling to hold the trunion when pressing the barrel into the trunion. You will also need end mills for your pin cuts. A drill bit will not work.
Thanks to the idiots at BATFE, newbs cannot build these correctly without having access to a mill.

Also, that rear trunion and folder should have never been installed until the barrel is pressed into the front trunion...none of the other items should have been installed either.

Also, that rear trunion and folder should have never been installed until the barrel is pressed into the front trunion.

Yes I agree. But it looks like a screw build. So he can take the rear assembly back off to press the barrel. Although he could still press the barrel the way it is but a little more difficult.

Yes I agree. But it looks like a screw build. So he can take the rear assembly back off to press the barrel. Although he could still press the barrel the way it is but a little more difficult.
I'm not sure he could get the ram into the receiver that way. One needs to go thru the end and press the trunion/receiver down over the bbl...proper alignment is critical... IMO :D

The trunion support I have from AKbuilder.com would work because the bars that the trunion support sits on run through the mage well. The rest of the receiver would hang below uneffected. I have pressed a barrel on a fixed stock build and the rear trunion was in place.

You guys are "hard-core".;)

Thanks to everyone that told me what tools I need, and do not have. However, I already did the research and figured that out. That is why I am asking for someones help that does have the tools, and the knowledge.

And yes, it is a screw build. I know that is a bad word around here, but for my first, and possible only build, I am happy with it. And somewhere down the line, should my fortunes change, I can always go back and rivet it properly.

And lastly, the ONE tool I do have is the trunion support like the one from AKbuilder.com. It fits through the magwell. But as stated earlier, it is a screw build and I have not applied the thread lock yet, so it can be easily removed. I was planning to use this tool along with my bubba-ized hydraulic press to fit the barrel, before I released I had to cut the grooves for all the pins.

So, all that brings me back to where I started. I still need someone with the tools, knowledge, and willingness to help out a newbie AK Builder.

OH P.S. to Stomper - I gave a shout out to Velzey. I have not heard back from him yet, but thanks for the info.

Well if you are ever up in the Puget Sound area and you have your stuff. You are more than welcome to use any and all my building tools here at my shop. I can coach you as you go. I do have quite the build tool collection....lol.
It is much easier to cut the grooves in your barrel if the parts are in place and use the holes in the parts as a guide. Remember to use the correct size end mill. Not a drill bit. Once the drill bit hits the hard barrel, the drill bit wants to walk and not cut.o_O
Also since I started to build, I have learned that guys are use laser's to align all the barrel parts. Smart Idea that I have never done. I did it the old fashioned way.....

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews