JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My trusty OLD Lenovo laptop is crapping out after about 7 years.
I'm very out of the loop of what's what these days.
I've got a budget of under $600.
Just need it to stream videos and browse the web. No gaming.
What has the best display and biggest screen?
DVD player would be cool, but not necessary.
Definitely do not want a touch screen and prefer windows.
I have a Costco membership, not sure if they have anything decently.
Also I'm a disabled veteran and have access to discounts to Lenovo via ExpertVoice.
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

You can get a Dell laptop for under $200. If you don't do photo storage or anything like that, look at Chromebooks, which can also be had for under $200. Chromebooks require an internet connection to operate as they don't have anything stored on the computer.

I like the Macbook Air for travel. Super light weight, can dual boot between macOS and a Winblows 7 image (which I rarely boot too these days), and Unix under the hood. It does not have a DVD player, but an external drive can handle that.

My MacBook Air is still working well after 8 years - but it may be difficult to update to the latest OS, and Chrome won't update on this older OS. OTOH, I have to reboot my work Lenovo once a week (corp policy), which is probably a good idea, while I have to restart my MBA twice a year.

Apple has refurbished computers with a one year Applecare warranty on them. Not sure you will find a laptop there for $600 or less though.

I am getting a new Dell at work and I have had a lot of problems with the Lenovo they gave me. Generally Dells are probably better.

Also I'm a disabled veteran and have access to discounts to Lenovo via ExpertVoice.

Got my wife a screaming deal on a refurbished 3n1 a year ago at Fry's. Personally I think it was worth the drive.

Lots of good laptop deals pop up in this on going thread. The 7/19 update had a bunch. You have to enter your zip code to see if any stores nearby carry them. Only buy a heavily discounted deal unless you want to reward Walmart.

The best sound that I ever heard out of a laptop was an HP equipped with Beats Audio.
IIRC, it was a Costco purchase.

One of my best laptop purchases was a used Dell "off-lease" Latitude.
Which is their "business class" .....more durable than their consumer grade stuff.
I had a Dell Studio that slowly just fell apart.

Costco has back to school deals this time of year, Dad scored a killer deal on a Lenovo touchscreen with SSD and plenty of storage, does really good streaming shows, movies and Utoob, and was on sale for $399! STAY AWAY from the chrome books, they are very limited in what they can do, and have no internal storage, not worth the price brake compared to an actual laptop!

Thanks for the help. Like I said, no touchscreen. Not interested in the chrome stuff.
I store my music in iTunes, so it needs a hard drive.
I only want new.

Thanks for the help. Like I said, no touchscreen. Not interested in the chrome stuff.
I store my music in iTunes, so it needs a hard drive.
I only want new.
This one is $140:
I would call ahead to Hayden Meadows store to confirm they actually have in stock. Inventory shows 2 in stock.

Always a fan of the MacBook Air, but sounds like you will do just fine with a Chromebook, or heck look into an IPad or Android tablet.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top