JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A friend had a very bad fire and his Kimber went through it. It completely destroyed the gun all that is left is the slide and frame.

Any suggestions on a gunsmith that he should take it to?

Thank you

If the slide/receiver is in spec, build it back up.

He could always send it to Kimber - they could find someone to spin it to show Kimber fire proofing...and they could rebuild it for him or send him a new gun.

Which model of Kimber? Any pictures? Is he interested in selling the slide/receiver?

In this case I would send it to Kimber.

I have a friend that lost his in a house fire and it was on about the same condition. Kimber sent him a new pistol....free of charge

In this case I would send it to Kimber.

I have a friend that lost his in a house fire and it was on about the same condition. Kimber sent him a new pistol....free of charge

That sure is nice of Kimber.

If a gun has actually been burned up, its likely that the heat treatment of the steel has been affected.
May be wrong, I'd doubt that any reputable 'smith will touch a gun so damaged.

Maybe. Gun steel is pretty resilient. Smiths would probably send it to Kimber themselves or advise you to do so to relieve themselves of liability. Also, we haven't seen a picture so what, "Burned up" means to one person may be very different than what it means to another. Either way it would be interesting to look over.

I called Kimber and they said it would be so expensive to fix that he should just buy a new one.

I dont have a picture of it. However, it is very bad. Slide will not operate, all the amuntion went off inside the mag. It was in his shop and went up in flames. Hot enough fire that it melt to cars to the ground...not a pretty picture. Everything was a total loss in his shop.

I called Kimber and they said it would be so expensive to fix that he should just buy a new one.

I dont have a picture of it. However, it is very bad. Slide will not operate, all the amuntion went off inside the mag. It was in his shop and went up in flames. Hot enough fire that it melt to cars to the ground...not a pretty picture. Everything was a total loss in his shop.

So it's had better days - put it in a display case.

The only value this firearm has is the frame and it's serial number. If the frame itself hasn't warped or started to melt, it could be used as a restoration platform for a Do It Yourself'er. Shop for parts at places like Numrich, or the various boards and assemble a new firearm. The parts can be shipped easily, it's only the frame that needs to go through the FFL transfer process.

That said, how much time would someone want to put into this?

Dude already owns the gun, what transfer process are we talking about???

He is saying since he already has the frame, there would be no transfer process because that is the only thing that would require a transfer. Everything else he can just order online and get shipped because there is no transfer needed on the parts.

Dude already owns the gun, what transfer process are we talking about???

He is saying since he already has the frame, there would be no transfer process because that is the only thing that would require a transfer. Everything else he can just order online and get shipped because there is no transfer needed on the parts.

Must not have read the whole post.

No i did. I'm trying to understand the relevance of your post and the connection to the topic.

Topic: I need a gunsmith to attempt to fix my gun
Your post: Only parts need transferred

He already has the frame, he's already talked about having a gunsmith look it over- in which case he'll have an FFL already involved. The post is about a gun that could either have scorched grips, or a full carry melt job.....

Elephants are gray

No i did.

And yet you still missed this statement
it could be used as a restoration platform for a Do It Yourself'er.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top