Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Need a good light weight Carry gun

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by glockguy, Sep 27, 2009.

1. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

So Me and my lady Have started to jog every night usually 2-3 miles... So i was curious what would be the best lightest weight gun to carry? id prefer 9mm or .40 but that's just me. im open to other calibers to... and also where and how should i carry it? Ankle? belly band? :confused:

2. skud_dusty

skud_dusty Salem, OR Active Member

Depending on the clothes you wear, you might be able to pocket carry. I myself like IWB for most things, but I'd imagine a belly band or Smartcarry/Thunderwear would work well for jogging. If it were me (I don't do much jogging ;) ) I would try to find something that stays nice and tight against the body and won't move around as much.

As for pistols, I'd recommend a Kel-Tec PF9, polymer framed Kahr, a subcompact Glock, or maybe a subcompact MP9/40.

3. Searcher451

Searcher451 Oregon Member

I carry a Beretta Jetfire in .25 caliber in my right pocket on daily walks. I don't leave the house unarmed, even to get the mail (the mailbox is up the street a ways), and the Jetfire, while not much gun, is at least better than no gun at all. It's lightweight, to be sure, but best of all, it's 100% reliable.

4. el gringo loco

el gringo loco PDX Member

A .32 Kel-Tec. It's light and easy to carry. You can get a pocket clip or stick it in a zipped pocket on a pair of jogging shorts. Most running clothes are not really designed for concealed carry--so weight is a huge factor. Not the most powerful round in the world, but you will already be warmed up so it should be easier to run away.

5. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

Ruger LCP in 380 in a belly band works very well...

6. Teufel_Hunden

Teufel_Hunden Albany, Oregon Active Member

KelTec P3AT .380....12 ounches loaded...

7. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

Kahr PM9 is the lightest 9mm I have owned in the past.

8. smithmax

smithmax here Member

What about a .22 derringer type of gun? It's not much, put they are light and easy to carry.

9. sheepman

sheepman Las Vegas NV Member

I don't jog but use a fanny pack and a Glock 26 or snub revolver for walking. The fanny pack is just a standard pack (not designed for a gun) with a pocket that will hold a small gun. A 38 or 9mm or bigger would be my choice in calibers. Good luck : Bill

10. ArgentineSteel

ArgentineSteel Vancouver, WA Active Member

Sig's new P238 is a nice light gun, 380 +p loads in a short barrel will have characteristics close to a 9mm, Carry options are numerous as have been suggested for other guns. Fanny pack is the most common option for jogging but there's a chest pack I've seen as well.

11. rk246

rk246 Southwest of Portland New Member

I love my S&W Airweight 38 in a fanny pack for jogging, I don't wear the fanny pack for anything else, mostly cause it is a dead give away and looks very goofy. It is perfect for jogging though.

12. dario541

dario541 medford, or 97504 Member

I have a Bulgarian Makarov that is fairly light and compact. If I was into jogging (I should be, to try to work off this gut), I would carry it.

13. PDXGS

PDXGS Aloha... yes, Aloha, Oregon Member

Been there, done that- for cycling.
    I ended up with a S&W 360 PD in .357
    It's the lightest package with a decent wallup.
    It resides in the back pocket of my cyling jersey...if I were running I'd use a shoulder harness.

14. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

Ruger LCP

15. raindog

raindog Portland, OR Active Member

+P .380? Are you talking about Buffalo Bore or something?

I would check that the Sig P238 is rated for such. I'm not saying it's not, it's just that the manual doesn't mention it and I don't think +P .380 is very common.

16. TonsOfOregonBrass

TonsOfOregonBrass Sandy, OR Active Member

Kel tec PF9 with +p ammo. Really easy to keep on you all day year round.