JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi SKS Junkies,

Finally got around to getting a few pictures of my Cowboy Companion I've had for some time (6 years ???). Kinda strange tale on how it came to be mine. I bought the mag and stock first as parts, then later traded a home-grown Paratrooper for the rest of the rifle. Luckily, I had a T89 mount and Redstar scope in my stash and was able to assemble this complete CC, I swapped out the Redstar for a Leapers 4X (to save the Redstar from mishap). It's on the top of my list for favorite Paratrooper (one of my favorites anyway). The stock came with a CAPCO slip-on/screw-on recoil pad. I added a black naval sling and the Blackhawk cheek rest. I canted the rest to the left to accommodate the mount off-set of the barrel's centerline. The whole works is BOSS. Doesn't appear to have been run much and is scrubbed of numbers except the serial. PAX
Cowboy-Companion-001.jpg Cowboy-Companion-002.jpg Cowboy-Companion-003.jpg

Last Edited:
Somehow/someway.......calling a CHINESE SKS semi-auto firearm, "Cowboy," just doesn't seem (to me at least) "Western or Cowboy".

Mind you that, I've seen CD versions (advertised) of "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" (w/Chinese subs and maybe even a Chinese dubbed version).

BUT, But, but.....try this one instead. Yeah, IMHO, it's a damm good spoof.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Good,_the_Bad,_the_Weird

OK, Ok, ok......it's S. Korean.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
It kinda similar to one of the early print ads for a Thompson submachine gun. That has a cowboy in chaps with a Tommy gun to ward off rustlers. PAX

1694310103662.png

BUT, But, but......at least he wasn't shooting at Indians.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....don't get me wrong.....because, there was a time when I actually owned a Model D and another 16" bbl SKS (maybe that one was marketed as a "paratrooper") plus some regular SKS rifles. All of them were Chinese. At any rate, I sold both of the "short barrels" off without even shooting them. Mostly because, I was more interested, in shooting my AK. As for the other SKSs......they went, whenever I needed the extra money.

The AK. I still have.

For the collectors of SKS rifles.

Last Edited:
View attachment 1484775

BUT, But, but......at least he wasn't shooting at Indians.

Aloha, Mark

As for the other SKSs......they went, whenever I needed the extra money.
i know what you mean. Since 2019 I whittled mine SKS heap down selling off 15 and keeping the best 28 rifles (Russian, Romanian, Albanian, Yugoslavian, & Chinese) including 9 Paratroopers of various iterations. The ones I sold about paid for the ones I kept, cause I have had them quite a while.
Most of the keepers. PAX
sks-rack.jpg

Somehow/someway.......calling a CHINESE SKS semi-auto firearm, "Cowboy," just doesn't seem (to me at least) "Western or Cowboy".

Mind you that, I've seen CD versions (advertised) of "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" (w/Chinese subs and maybe even a Chinese dubbed version).

BUT, But, but.....try this one instead. Yeah, IMHO, it's a damm good spoof.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Good,_the_Bad,_the_Weird

OK, Ok, ok......it's S. Korean.

Aloha, Mark
What about that old movie "Shanghai Noon"? Chinese Cowboy-Jackie Chan

Hi SKS Junkies,

Finally got around to getting a few pictures of my Cowboy Companion I've had for some time (6 years ???). Kinda strange tale on how it came to be mine. I bought the mag and stock first as parts, then later traded a home-grown Paratrooper for the rest of the rifle. Luckily, I had a T89 mount and Redstar scope in my stash and was able to assemble this complete CC, I swapped out the Redstar for a Leapers 4X (to save the Redstar from mishap). It's on the top of my list for favorite Paratrooper (one of my favorites anyway). The stock came with a CAPCO slip-on/screw-on recoil pad. I added a black naval sling and the Blackhawk cheek rest. I canted the rest to the left to accommodate the mount off-set of the barrel's centerline. The whole works is BOSS. Doesn't appear to have been run much and is scrubbed of numbers except the serial. PAX
View attachment 1484656 View attachment 1484657 View attachment 1484658
When I saw title of cowboys companion I thought it was a revolver or some type of cowboy gun. An sks? That's really weird. Why did they call it that?