JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New to me, 24 year old New England Firearms shotgun. But perfectly sound and functional. I know, dead simple and boring. But it will get the job done. Lots of guys here want some kind of AR and piles of 30 round magazines. But I'm thinking the majority of times you might need a firearm for home defense, just brandishing one will set most crooks to flight. Less often, you might need to fire one round to show you mean business. This one came with some buckshot and slug ammunition.

Thanks to member Bradsteen here for getting this to me, he was a gentleman who made it go smoothly. This was my first purchase of a firearm from another NWFA member. And maybe my last, since I've been downsizing for a few years but I liked the idea of a simple 20 ga. shotgun.

P1200344.JPG

New to me, 24 year old New England Firearms shotgun. But perfectly sound and functional. I know, dead simple and boring. But it will get the job done. Lots of guys here want some kind of AR and piles of 30 round magazines. But I'm thinking the majority of times you might need a firearm for home defense, just brandishing one will set most crooks to flight. Less often, you might need to fire one round to show you mean business. This one came with some buckshot and slug ammunition.

Thanks to member Bradsteen here for getting this to me, he was a gentleman who made it go smoothly. This was my first purchase of a firearm from another NWFA member. And maybe my last, since I've been downsizing for a few years but I liked the idea of a simple 20 ga. shotgun.

View attachment 1349479
Good on ya, mate.

Hey I'm all about you do you.

I like single shot break barrels for hunting sometimes as they are super light but usually take a Rem 870.

My HD shotgun has 8+1/+6 in a side saddle shell holder.

My Go to HD pistol holds 18 and a 32 round extra mag.

My rifle has 30 round standard mags.

I have more knives laying around then I can carry.

But that's just me - if you are certain about 1 shot being good enough then kudos to you.
Lots of guys here want some kind of AR and piles of 30 round magazines. But I'm thinking the majority of times you might need a firearm for home defense, just brandishing one will set most crooks to flight
Just for the sake of conversation, I try to plan for as many what if's as possible, not just Majority and Most.

I'm a dang good shot according to some but even I don't think I'm good enough to trust everything to a single shot - and if I pull the trigger it won't be a warning shot.

FWIW, I'd have a way that I had practiced to reload that thing as quickly as possible as break ins are now multiple people as the norm and not just a single person.

But that's just me - if you are certain about 1 shot being good enough then kudos to you.

Just for the sake of conversation, I try to plan for as many what if's as possible, not just Majority and Most.

I'm a dang good shot according to some but even I don't think I'm good enough to trust everything to a single shot - and if I pull the trigger it won't be a warning shot.

FWIW, I'd have a way that I had practiced to reload that thing as quickly as possible as break ins are now multiple people as the norm and not just a single person.
Well, I'm 72 years old and live in a fairly "good" area. So my level of fear and perception of need may not be as high as some people's. But am I certain about what may come my way? Not of anything but death. Which I'd like to delay a while longer.

I used to visit a web site called Greybeard Outdoors, most of those guys were fans of Handi Rifles. They espoused the importance of one shot, one kill. Which is the essence of the single shot firearm. I'm not saying that I'm all that good, but a shotgun does give you a bit of edge on that point.

Those top break guns like the NEF can be reloaded fairly quickly, make sure you've got the ejector model not just extractors. I think all the later ones were ejectors.

View attachment 1349479
Gave my son my H&R 20ga and 410 everyone needs at least 1 2 3 4 or so single shots. I have more (other brands) that have been well used hunting pheasant, qual and gophers and picking mistletoe the easy way.

Great little Grouse Getters. My most used is in 12ga, but I have a few 20ga and 16ga also. I am a sucker for single shots and combo guns (30-30 over 20ga is my favorite).
I used to like the Savage Model 24, I thought the idea of an economical combination gun was a good one. The one I had was .22 Mag over 20 gauge. But the "economical" went out of those quite some time ago. I still can't fathom why they got so expensive.

Gave my son my H&R 20ga and 410 everyone needs at least 1 2 3 4 or so single shots. I have more (other brands) that have been well used hunting pheasant, qual and gophers and picking mistletoe the easy way.
Great little Grouse Getters. My most used is in 12ga, but I have a few 20ga and 16ga also. I am a sucker for single shots and combo guns (30-30 over 20ga is my favorite).
It's been my impression that many people who have NEF single shots don't have just one.

In my reduced battery of guns, I now have four:

1. H&R Deluxe Topper 198, .410 bore

2, NEF SB1, 28 ga.

3. NEF SB2, .223 Rem.

4. NEF SB1, 20 ga.

They sit there in the safe, right next to the Winchester Model 70's, Rem. 870, M1 Rifles and AR.

I'm not knocking firepower. I think it's better to have more than you need, not less. I have semi-sutos myself. But I believe the single shots have some utility even for home defense. Especially for people who don't have a bunch of guns.

Apparently, they are even good enough for armed robberies. I've seen pictures of some with sawed-off barrel and stock.

It's been my impression that many people who have NEF single shots don't have just one
NEF had the accessory barrel program. Prices for these were very reasonable. It eliminated the need for buying multiple complete guns. When Remington bought NEF from Marlin, the accessory barrel program was discontinued.

I don't have the price card for the old accessory barrel program close at hand, but I remember that ordinary shotgun barrels were $38 the last time I bought some. The rifled pistol cartridge and rifle cartridge barrels were more but not hugely.

Used NEF accessory barrels now sell online for a lot of money.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top