JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
first, I found the history behind the design - google the US Marshal's WP870 from the early '80s

now, this thing is a joy to shoot with reduced power loads.
took me about 20 rnds to find my stance and aiming position
lean slightly forward, left leg slightly bent, right leg straight as an anchor point
left arm straight out, parallel with the ground
left hand full forward pushing on the strap
wrapped the birdshead grip with friction tape for better grip
from this position, you can get a good control and aim at out to 15 yrds, 12" pattern at that distance
with this position, I found I was accurate even at night (yes, I shoot at night out here for practice)
just point and shoot - I found this more accurate than trying to aim down that short barrel
after 100 rnd in one afternoon I didn't feel beat up at all, by keeping your left hand tight in the strap, you distribute the recoil over your entire upper body
from this position, I could accurately fire 6 rnds of 12 ga in less than 5 sec by the end of the day
no matter what all those internet bloggers are saying, I find the Shockwave very controllable and accurate for what it is, and this old man is on the far side of 67.

RJMT

When this design first appeared in 2017 I thought it was stupid. Maybe it had a few use-cases, but for the most part it was just a novelty firearm. The more I've heard about it, the more uses I've been coming up with. The model that most catches my eye right now is the 870 version with the magazine. It just seems like it takes the weakest feature of this design (limited capacity) and covers that with quickly-changeable box magazines.

I wonder if that box magazine sticking out the bottom messes with the balance that you've experienced on the Shockwave, @rjmt.
81348X_REM_870_DM_SYN_TACT_12ga_CYL_BS_TAC14_right.jpg

personally, I think the magazine offsets the versatility of the design, protruding magazine and weight in the center of the firearm
I don't find 6 rnds of 00 buck to be a limited capacity for my needs. If I need a combat shotgun, then I have a full sized Mossberg 590 SP, with 8 in the tube and 4 more in the quick feed stock
now, if you can't get it done with 12 rnds out a 590, then fall back 50 yds and call in an air strike!

agreed
I like the "sissy strap" on the Mossberg since I use it as a brace for my left hand
even if one should choose the Remington, I would still recommend the strap
helps distribute the recoil. I tried just gripping the for-end and found that put extra strain on my left forearm

As far as muzzle rise is a concern without a strap on the Rem model, why didn't they fashion a foregrip that surrounds the barrel so one can grip on top with a strong force downward? Instead of cupping the fore grip put the hand on top with the thumb pointing towards the rear since you're not looking through these sites anyway.

with my shooting stance and pushing forward on the strap, I didn't find muzzle rise an issue, using the recoil to assist in jacking another round into the chamber. the forward push on the slide shoves the muzzle back down
besides, if your hand is on top, pushing down, you don't get the recoil distribution up your left arm, absorbing more recoil through the grip to your dominate hand - tried that one time!!
but I have 220 lbs of weight leaning forward
LOLLL

RJMT

I guess I see this gun as a niche firearm. If you need a lot of firepower in a tightly confined space at relatively short distances, I can see a purpose. But even with that, capacity could be an issue...even with the box mag setup...because you gotta find a way to carry one or preferably several very large magazines. And you better make sure your stance/form is on point in a stressful situation or you're liable to end up with some missing teeth.

I'm trying to think of scenarios where this gun might be useful and all I can come up with is perhaps as a car/truck gun. Could you use it as a home defense gun? Sure, I guess. But I would never pick it over a standard shotgun with a regular stock. The house just isn't confined enough where a standard shotgun wouldn't work.

But help change my mind here...when else would this gun be useful AND when a standard shotgun wouldn't work?

Now with the above said...is it a cool gun? Absolutely. And I wouldn't mind owning one. I'm just not sure there are too many situations where I would choose it over something else.

But help change my mind here...when else would this gun be useful AND when a standard shotgun wouldn't work?
To me, this query is best answered in light of the overall size/length. You're telling us that can't see a variety of scenarios in which a firearm that is close to 10" shorter than a standard 18.5"-barreled shotgun would have a superior advantage?

To me, this query is best answered in light of the overall size/length. You're telling us that can't see a variety of scenarios in which a firearm that is close to 10" shorter than a standard 18.5"-barreled shotgun would have a superior advantage?

Yup. But I prefer bullpups because they can be shouldered and they have more capacity with only slightly more length.

swmpas-dp12-lead-682x383.1437586360_large.jpg

They are however heavier, which is not an issue for me as I only use my defense shotgun within 200 meters of my house, no further - i.e., I do not go far afield with it and I do not use it as a "truck gun".

It isn't just shorter. It has less capacity and no stock making it harder to aim and more critical that your stance/form is spot on. Taken in it's totality and when a standard shotgun absolutely would not work, yes, I'm having a hard time seeing that many applications when this would be my goto choice.

Moreover, and if legalities weren't an issue, a shotgun with a pistol grip and folding stock would be a lot more versatile than the shock wave.

The Mossberg Shockwave has the same capacity as the standard 500 - 6 rnds

half the firearms I own have no social redeeming or practical value - they are just fun to shoot

my Mossberg 590A1 has a bayonet lug on it - from the factory - what practical purpose does a bayonet on a shotgun serve?

but if I'm going down my field to shoot milk jugs of water and haybales or blast a yellowjacket nest in a tree, I'd rather carry the Shockwave than the full sized 590

when I need to scare off coyotes or feral dogs, I'd rather walk out on the porch with a Shockwave than trundle the 590 through the house at 2 in the mornning

it's all in your perspective of firearms ownership

I'm trying to think of scenarios where this gun might be useful and all I can come up with is perhaps as a car/truck gun.

For me, this would be where it would fit. Or, for taking along in bear country while fishing. I don't own one, but I would if I found a good deal on one. I definitely don't need one, but it looks fun and I'm sure I could come up with a use for it after I got it. Or not.

I have been waiting for someone who has shot both the Mossberg and Remington to opine on the difference if any in shootability with the Mossberg having approximately an inch of receiver behind the trigger guard where the Rapter grip attaches, while on the Remington the grip attaches just behind the trigger guard. Any thoughts?

Oh wow, I'd never noticed that difference... It looks like the Rem's trigger is an inch farther back than the Mossie's, even though OAL is the same (26.32" vs. 26.3"), barrels are the same, and grips appear the same.

I got mine just for for fun and it serves that purpose very well.

That said besides truck gun use I see (read of) guys carrying them on their ATV's, canoes, kayaks, farmers on their tractors and walking their fields. Backpacking, hiking, camping, actually anywhere that a 12 gauge could come in handy but you don't want to carry a stocked gun. Quite a few guys have added a light and are using them as HD rigs.

I added a new safety, Big Dot sight, shell cards and a Crimson Trace 206 for hip shooting. 00 buck and pumpkins are too much fun. :D
IMG_20171124_203109.jpg
swct.jpg

I got mine just for for fun and it serves that purpose very well.

That said besides truck gun use I see (read of) guys carrying them on their ATV's, canoes, kayaks, farmers on their tractors and walking their fields. Backpacking, hiking, camping, actually anywhere that a 12 gauge could come in handy but you don't want to carry a stocked gun. Quite a few guys have added a light and are using them as HD rigs.

I added a new safety, Big Dot sight, shell cards and a Crimson Trace 206 for hip shooting. 00 buck and pumpkins are too much fun. :D
View attachment 417525
View attachment 417532
I purchased a picatini (sp) rail that I plan on mounting and putting a 206 on. How hard was the safety switch out?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top