JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up a Mossberg youth model 510 in 20 gauge in trade a while back. I plan on keeping it in the bedroom for home defense since it has an 18" barrel. I am wondering if an adult sized stock from a 500 or a 590 would bolt on, the youth stock is just too small for me. Also, are there any magazine extensions available for these guns? I'd like to have more than 3 in the tube if possible.

Magazine tube: not without changing the tube out and getting a different barrel. The one you have is designed as a hunting shotgun so it's not geared towards defense or RIOT control.

Stock wise, sure. Internet says so, and I'm assuming the Bantam and the regular 500's use the same receiver. The 10.5" LOP on the one you have is the really only marking feature for a "youth" shotgun. Makes you feel like you are humping a football when trying to shoulder one.

Lucky for you that you have a 20 gauge and not a .410 because then you would need a .410 500 stock.

Honestly, I kinda like the really short LOP on the youth guns, I have a 10.5" on my 500 12-ga. It makes them super-fast, if maybe a bit awkward until you get used to it.

As Dyj said, you have to swap out the magazine tube and barrel. That's really the only thing I don't like about the 500 is the barrel/tube system. Even then, I think it'll do either 5+1 or 6+1 as a "normal capacity" which isn't the 8+1 of the 590 or the 870, but it is much lighter and faster handling, which IMHO is the most important aspect of the fighting shotgun.

Depending on year, the magazine tube is usually held in with red locktite, I've made a habit of "jail breaking" every 500 I lay my hands on. All that's really required is a strap wrench and a propane torch. Strip all the internals out (remove the pin, drop trigger assembly, pull the feed bars out, and the lifter, removing the barrel, bolt and pump assembly) then gently apply heat to the receiver where the mag tube and receiver meet until it's too hot to touch and start applying torque to the strap wrench. If it's stubborn just add a little bit more heat. it usually doesn't take much. Sometimes a little bit of steam/smoke will come out when you've hit the right temp. The important thing is not to get it too hot. If you have a plastic stock, you can put a damp rag inside the receiver near the stock, if that starts steaming you might be getting too hot.

Honestly, I kinda like the really short LOP on the youth guns, I have a 10.5" on my 500 12-ga. It makes them super-fast, if maybe a bit awkward until you get used to it.

As Dyj said, you have to swap out the magazine tube and barrel. That's really the only thing I don't like about the 500 is the barrel/tube system. Even then, I think it'll do either 5+1 or 6+1 as a "normal capacity" which isn't the 8+1 of the 590 or the 870, but it is much lighter and faster handling, which IMHO is the most important aspect of the fighting shotgun.

Depending on year, the magazine tube is usually held in with red locktite, I've made a habit of "jail breaking" every 500 I lay my hands on. All that's really required is a strap wrench and a propane torch. Strip all the internals out (remove the pin, drop trigger assembly, pull the feed bars out, and the lifter, removing the barrel, bolt and pump assembly) then gently apply heat to the receiver where the mag tube and receiver meet until it's too hot to touch and start applying torque to the strap wrench. If it's stubborn just add a little bit more heat. it usually doesn't take much. Sometimes a little bit of steam/smoke will come out when you've hit the right temp. The important thing is not to get it too hot. If you have a plastic stock, you can put a damp rag inside the receiver near the stock, if that starts steaming you might be getting too hot.

I've seen twisted magazine tubes before. That's a sad sight.

I agree with the shorter LOP. I personally prefer a 12" it just makes it maneuverable.

I've seen twisted magazine tubes before. That's a sad sight.

I agree with the shorter LOP. I personally prefer a 12" it just makes it maneuverable.

Yea, that's why you apply a bit of heat and use a strap wrench, it should slip before you twist/crush the tube. I've seen people do it with a pipe-wrench, but that pretty much destroys the tube, which would ruin the utility of the barrel.