Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Mossberg 500 or Maverick 88

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by james83, May 20, 2011.

1. james83

james83 beaverton oregon I'am feeling fat and sassy

Hi,
    Im about ready to buy a 12guage for Home defence, I was just about set on the idea of buying a mossberg 500 with 18.5 barrel until at the store i saw the maverick 88

the maverick 88 seems pretty darn similar to the mossberg 500 except for the safety and the price tag.

I already own a remington 870 with 28'' barrel which is supposed to be my clay/duck gun,
    Unfortunatly for me my wife has sought of laid claim to the Gun as the main home defence gun!

My wife refuses to use/have anything other than a 12 guage as the go to home defence gun (which is fine with me except i would like my 870 back for clay shooting).

In order to be able to take the 870 outta the house without the wifey throwing a hissy fit I decided to buy another shotgun that can just stay home all the time.

As i say i was all set on getting the Mossy 500 until i saw the maverick 88, I figured i could save myself a few bucks by getting the 88.

I have been reading reviews about the 88, but i was just wondering if anyone wanted to throw their 2 cents in, anyone on here own an 88? just looking for peoples opinions really.

Thanks james.

2. Whitebread

Whitebread Maple Valley, Washington, United States New Member

Get the 88, I've got both. They both do the same exact thing and I've fired tons of rounds through them.

3. james83

james83 beaverton oregon I'am feeling fat and sassy

Thanks for your opinion Whitebread, Im thinking im gonna buy the 88 most of the reviews i have read about the 88 are pretty positive
    and the difference in price $199 for the 88 or $340 for the 500 is quite a difference especially for a gun thats just gonna lean against the wall in case its ever needed.