JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I cannot find an 18.5" or 20" 500 barrel in stock anywhere but EBay, where they're going for upwards of $250. I have a Mav 88 with a 26" barrel that I would like to get an HD barrel for (I use the 26" for ducks. Not trading or selling) and it looks like I can get a whole shotgun for near the same price.
Anyone have a spare?

I've been looking for a Mav88 20 gauge barrel for more than 6 months without paying extortion rates. Damn near impossible.

I just bought a mossberg 500 barrel with accuchoke for 100 at a pawn shop 2 weeks ago, Don't know what the prices of barrels are now but I bought a maverick 88 12 ga security for 218.00 and a maverick 88 20 ga youth with vr accuchoke barrel for 218.00 from bimart about 4 months ago.

Mossberg 500 12 ga.bbl.jpg Mossberg 500 barrel 12.jpg

It's gotten so bad that I'm about to buy one of the mossberg combo packs for $350 and then just trade away the birding shotgun, just so I can have an 18" barrel for my next build.

I just bought a mossberg 500 barrel with accuchoke for 100 at a pawn shop 2 weeks ago, Don't know what the prices of barrels are now but I bought a maverick 88 12 ga security for 218.00 and a maverick 88 20 ga youth with vr accuchoke barrel for 218.00 from bimart about 4 months ago.

View attachment 822453
Good finds, but given I paid 165 for my Maverick, and barrels were less than 100 before COVID, I'd have a hard time paying that. Can't find barrels in stock anywhere, and EBay auctions are pushing 350. I can find Mossberg 500s for 450, with the barrel I'm after.

You should be able to pick up any barrel you can find, and then shorten it to what ever size you want. I'm a retired machinist and I was able to take a 26" ribbed 20 ga. barrel and shorten it myself. I could have put the original bead sight back on it, but my eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be, so I fit a fiber front sight to it instead. It's now 18 1/2 in. long. I cut the barrel off with a die grinder wheel, and then put it in the lathe to refinish the crown and cold blued it.

20 ga chop.jpg DSC00999.jpg

You should be able to pick up any barrel you can find, and then shorten it to what ever size you want. I'm a retired machinist and I was able to take a 26" ribbed 20 ga. barrel and shorten it myself. I could have put the original bead sight back on it, but my eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be, so I fit a fiber front sight to it instead. It's now 18 1/2 in. long. I cut the barrel off with a die grinder wheel, and then put it in the lathe to refinish the crown and cold blued it.

View attachment 824404 View attachment 824407
Looks awesome!
I would have to do that on my chintzy workbench off the kitchen in my apartment with a hacksaw. I don't want to buy a barrel just to ruin it.

View attachment 824404 View attachment 824407
I did the same with the barrel for my 88. Traded my 18.5" barrel for my dad's 26" ribbed barrel because he wanted a factory 18.5" instead of cutting down. So, I cut it down with a hacksaw and used a sanding sponge to smooth it out.

IMG_20210210_203200.jpg

It's a shotgun, how would shortening it (to within legally allowed length) ruin it?

A rifle is different, a shotgun no problem - just make sure it's longer than bare legal minimum.
I'm well aware of the legality issues that arise from poor measure. Cutting it down isn't the issue. Cutting it down in my kitchen using a hacksaw is, to me, a great way to ruin a barrel. I'm likely to take it to the gunsmith up the street if I can find one that isn't already the length I want.

I'm well aware of the legality issues that arise from poor measure. Cutting it down isn't the issue. Cutting it down in my kitchen using a hacksaw is, to me, a great way to ruin a barrel. I'm likely to take it to the gunsmith up the street if I can find one that isn't already the length I want.
If you are worried about your ability, cut it long. Maybe start by cutting an inch off to see how you do. It really isn't hard to do.

Also, if you go to a smith, you are helping support local businesses. I asked my local one just on whim and they told me it would be roughly 50-100 bucks depending on time and what not. That's not that bad. I'll let you know more if I do get a long barrel and decide to do it.