Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Mosin M38 rusty bore

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by james83, Jul 1, 2012.

1. james83

james83 beaverton oregon I'am feeling fat and sassy

Hi, everyone

Thought i would ask for some advice here, as i have had got some great advice and tips from my previous questions.
    Yesterday i bought a Mosin M38 rifle from a local store, I have been looking at the gun for a couple of weeks and even though i knew the bore was rusty I decided to buy it anyway as i finally talked the dealer down to a good price i think? cost me $80 plus the background check so $90

The stock and general outside condition of the rifle is good, but after getting it home and removing the wood i have found some areas of rust and pitting, The bore is also pretty dirty.

I guess at some time a previous owner has cleaned the rifle up the exterior pitting has been cleaned and then spot painted with gloss black.

The bore is in pretty bad shape (real dirty) but the rifling looks ok and the pitting is not really deep. I have found alot of ideas about cleaning the bore out but i thought i would ask for advice on this forum too.

So far after stripping the rifle down i have ran a brush the barrel a few times, plugged the barrel and filled it with WD40 let it soak for 3 hours then brushed it again. I just plugged and filled the barrel with Hoppes NO9 and im going to leave it till late afternoon, I figured i would buy some brass cleaning brush's too.

The main things im wondering are,

anyone ever dealt with a rusted out bore before?
    What are the best ways to clean it?
    will i be able to get this gun in shooting condition?
    How deep does the pitting have to be before its dangerous to fire the gun?

Im under no illusion of this being an accurate rifle, I just want to get it to shoot safely.

I can post pictures of the rifle if that will help.

I look forward to your help

-james

2. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

I've successfully resuscitated two rifles with rusty bores that have proved to be excellent shooters. It is the general opinion of those who shoot military rifles that pitted bores do not necessarily mean poor performance. I must clarify that I bought both rifles only because they appeared to have been fired once with corrosive ammo and then put away without cleaning, so the bores stood a good chance of remaining relatively intact.
    I probably wouldn't take a chance with a rifle that appears to have been neglected over long periods of time.

With mine, I used a brush soaked in bore cleaner to remove the major crud. Then ran a patch soaked in bore cleaner back and forth a few times to get the bore really wet and let it soak overnight. More brushing and more soaking repeated over a few days and I've wound up with shiny bores that shoot rather well.

Keith

james83 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. xm193

xm193 seatac Active Member

4. bnz43

bnz43 eugene Active Member

I once had to clean a black powder rifle that had been stored loaded! you can imagine the amount of decay. The barrel looked like a sewer pipe, so I plugged the muzzle so no liquid could escape and filled it with white vinegar. I left it standing upright for 5 days, when I removed the plug it was like I pored out a old can filled with water, just red rusty filth. I was then able to see the pits and the lead ball , witch was now lose. This will also work on anything rusty that can be submerged . Warning it will remove blueing, but not instantly. Rinse with water dry it in oven and oil it. Viola! Thats what I did , It works.

5. james83

005-1.jpg
    004-2.jpg
    003-2.jpg
    002-2.jpg
    001-2.jpg

6. james83

Well after leaving the barrel plugged and filled with hoppes No9 solvent overnight i ran a brass brush through the barrel.
    Alot of junk and nasty green colored mess came out but the bore still looks terrible. I tried to take a pic of the bore but i cant seem to get a good picture.
    The rifling is visable but not as strong as i thought. Still a real mess. I also tried to take some pictures of the exterior pitting.

I bought some otis 085 ultrabore solvent today and im going to give that a try, I think i might give the white vinegar method a try too.
    I dont think i'll be able to try the electrolysis method as i live in an apartment.

Im just hoping i can get this rifle into safe shooting condition, After looking around the mosin forums people fire some really poor condition rifles especially the type 53's!

This m38 is pretty bad but looks great compared to some the corroded guns on the forums, I just dont want the thing to blow up (maybe i'll let my buddy fire it first) haha

I really appreiciate all the replys so far thanks.

7. bnz43

Try it it will amaze you to what will come out of that barrel. ide give it 5-7 days, 1 gal is a buck . the bore will be metallic again and you will really be able to see how extensive the piting is. 80 dollar rifles worth a try.

8. james83

007.jpg

Well i have been working on this rifle all afternoon, gave it a lot of cleaning inside and outside with otis 085 ultrabore and hoppes N09 and i got the bore looking tons better but its far from mirror, Im gonna give the white vinegar method a try, I figure i will get some tommorow and fill the barrel then leave it till saturday seeing as i work all week.

I degreased all the exterior of the rifle and reblued over the exterior pitting with birchwood casey liquid blue, I reassembled the rifle for the above picture, but im going to disassemble the rifle and try the vinegar tomorrow.

It might only be a 80 dollar mosin but i have grown quite attached to this gun (dont know why i just really like it)
    Im really hoping it will be a shooter, The exterior pitting is a concern, so im wondering if i should have a gunsmith look it over?
    I seem to remember my first ever gun which was a bolt action webley&scott .410 shotgun which my grandfather gave me when i was 11 years old having more exterior pitting than this and that gun never failed me, but still although i have never heard of a mosin exploding i dont wanna be the first mosin blew up in my face guy!

9. saxon

saxon springfield Active Member

i used this on waht looked like a rust bucket and found that it was just cosmo and dirt shot into ever crevas the barrle had
    used this and it was spotless

http://www.frfrogspad.com/copclean.pdf

10. trainsktg

That's actually a nice looking rifle. I think it deserves the chance you are giving it.

Keith

11. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

I have had a couple that I thought were hopeless. After doing some research I electrically cleaned them, all it takes is a low voltage transformer like you would use for a cell phone or other electronic device. A steel rod, some shrink tubing to fit over the rod and isolate it from the bore, a rubber stopper to hold the electrolyte in the bore (chamber end) and a water vinegar solution (or windex). I used binder clips from my desk drawer to hold the wires in place. put it all together and a bore can be spotless in no time (4-8hours).

I can put a setup together at ace hardware for less than 10 bucks.

The other plus is you don't put more wear on the bore trying to clean it.

12. james83

Hi, everyone thanks again for all the replies, I got some white vinegar so im going to try that method. The more i read about the electroylsis method that has been suggested the easier it sounds so i think i'll give it a shot if the the white vinegar method doesnt give me the desired results.

Im still a little worried about the exterior pitting, So i'll prolly have a gunsmith look it over once im done with the overall cleaning.

13. theguncrank

theguncrank Columbia County Active Member

I think you made a sound purchase. Mosins are solid and reliable, and the M38 is the most handy of them all. Mine was acquired a decade ago at Big-5. It was cheap, and probably worse off than yours: roughly finished wartime production, counter-bored, external pits under the hand-guard, a crack in the magazine (the black paint was there, that's what the Russians pass off as "arsenal refinishing"), and red gunk and preservative in the chamber. I used an AR-10 chamber brush to clean the chamber and lug recesses, scrubbed the bore with every imaginable combination of solvents, pastes and boiling water. It was a hopeless cause, or so I thought until I took it out and shot it. I, like yourself, had little hopes of it being a shooter, just a cheap gun to leave in the trunk until it was needed, so I pessimistically set my target at 50 yards. I aimed, squeezed through that long trigger pull and... punched a hole dead center through the target. The next 4 rounds all clustered within 1.5" of the first. I set up some water-filled milk jugs at the 200 yard line. Five hits with five shots. I like my ugly duckling. I put it in an ATI Mosin stock with a decent shooting sling. If I ever decide it's worth the effort, I may cover up those pits with some Aluma-Hyde. If in doubt, have it checked by all means, but don't judge it until you shoot it! You may become even more attached than you are now!

14. james83

Happy 4th of july everyone,

and thank you all for the input on this rifle.

I left the barrel plugged up and filled with white vinegar for 48 hours (should of left it longer as suggested but im impatient)
    Well even after only 48hrs i have to say im amazed how clean the bore is now! the pitting is minimal and the rifling is alot stronger than i thought.

Im surprised how much terrible nasty gunk was in this rifle. I still need to add more blueing to the exterior pitted areas, but im hoping I can take it out over the weekend and put a few rounds down range.

15. trainsktg

Success!

Keith

16. james83

Thanks keith, im really pleased with this rifle. I was looking at it on the rack in the store for two weeks nearly everyday before i decided to buy it. The overall condition of the gun was nice but the bore was putting me off because it looked so bad. This is easily the best 90 bucks i have ever spent on a gun, The success of this makes me really wanna buy the m44 that was sitting on the rack next to this gun (although the m44 is in alot worse condition) still it might be worth a try'

I just hope this gun fires without any problems.

:)

17. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

Try and find another M38 for what you paid, you'll be surprised at the deal you got. Colour me jealous.

18. james83

Yes i think i got a good deal on this m38 now as the bore looks shootable. I bought it from the local pawn shop i frequent. I take the MAX to work and this pawn shop is close to the MAX station so i usually take a look at what they have. Over the last couple of years i have bought a few guns from them, Sometimes there guns are overpriced but if stuff stays on the rack a few weeks they will drop the price alot.

I have bought mosin 91/30's from big 5 before for around 90 bucks but i realise the carbines are more sort after and a little more expensive, Im pleased with my m38 it was on the rack at the pawn shop for a few weeks and i managed to talk them down from 150 bucks to 80 bucks plus background check

the m44 they have on the rack is 120 bucks but i could prolly talk them down too 80 bucks

19. yurik

yurik Vancouver, WA New Member

Electrolytic method is very good, can be overdone though, as anything else. Aside for that, we had great success with manual transmission fluid that was used in Ural army trucks in Soviet Army decades ago. I do not know the chemical make-up of it, but trying regular Dex/Merc would not hurt at all. I would flush the vinegar thoroughly, as it is corrosive - akin to fighting forest fires with a controlled fire.

20. bnz43

Alright! im glad that worked for you, Its really amazing how it eats that garb up, breaks the rust free from the steel. I thought you'd like that!