JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
schistocytes are fragmented red blood cells. not all fragmented cells are schistocytes. cell fragmentation takes place in a few types of cells for a couple of different reasons but the fragments are not always called schistocytes..only when the fragmentation occurs in red blood cells.

Thanks. I understand what can cause schisocytes. What causes other types of blood cells to fragment?

schistocytes are fragmented red blood cells. not all fragmented cells are schistocytes. cell fragmentation takes place in a few types of cells for a couple of different reasons but the fragments are not always called schistocytes..only when the fragmentation occurs in red blood cells.

There's reproductive fragmentation, where asexual cells fragment and then each fragment develops into a fully developed cell which is essentially a copy or clone of the original cell.
There's also programmed cell death, where genes in the cells program proteins to basically break apart dna, the nucleus shrinks and dies and the parts of the cell break apart, or fragment, into apoptotic bodies which are engulfed, or "eaten", by neighboring cells. This process is typically normal and is what happens in adult cells like the skin and gut where there's a lot of epithelial tissue (cells tightly packed together in layers) as part of their normal turn over. The programmed cell death, or apoptosis, also occurs in things like malignant tumors. There's also necrosis, which doesn't typically leave viable fragments but the nucleus and cell organelles swell and rupture their membranes and the fragments and cell disintegrate and die.
Then there's the fragments that occur from irregularities, like in blood that causes schistocytes. It can happen in sperm cells in small concentrations but is exacerbated by things like smoking and drug use. In cells like sperm cells, the fragments are not referred to as schistocytes (despite the fact the word schistocyte is from the greek for divided cell).

Thanks. I understand what can cause schisocytes. What causes other types of blood cells to fragment?

White blood cells do not fragment usually, that I am aware of. There was a study of white blood cells fragmenting during transfusion in platelet rich plasma, but beyond that I don't think it happens.

Platelets in blood are already cell fragments. They are bone marrow fragments from large bone marrow cells and they release clotting chemicals at injury sites in the body. They have no nucleus, so are not cells but only fragments when they become part of the blood.

Other than that, there are no more types of blood cells, just plasma. Blood is mostly plasma and red cells, with a small percentage of white and platelets.

There's reproductive fragmentation, where asexual cells fragment and then each fragment develops into a fully developed cell which is essentially a copy or clone of the original cell.
There's also programmed cell death, where genes in the cells program proteins to basically break apart dna, the nucleus shrinks and dies and the parts of the cell break apart, or fragment, into apoptotic bodies which are engulfed, or "eaten", by neighboring cells. This process is typically normal and is what happens in adult cells like the skin and gut where there's a lot of epithelial tissue (cells tightly packed together in layers) as part of their normal turn over. The programmed cell death, or apoptosis, also occurs in things like malignant tumors. There's also necrosis, which doesn't typically leave viable fragments but the nucleus and cell organelles swell and rupture their membranes and the fragments and cell disintegrate and die.
Then there's the fragments that occur from irregularities, like in blood that causes schistocytes. It can happen in sperm cells in small concentrations but is exacerbated by things like smoking and drug use. In cells like sperm cells, the fragments are not referred to as schistocytes (despite the fact the word schistocyte is from the greek for divided cell).

White blood cells do not fragment usually, that I am aware of. There was a study of white blood cells fragmenting during transfusion in platelet rich plasma, but beyond that I don't think it happens.

Platelets in blood are already cell fragments. They are bone marrow fragments from large bone marrow cells and they release clotting chemicals at injury sites in the body. They have no nucleus, so are not cells but only fragments when they become part of the blood.

Other than that, there are no more types of blood cells, just plasma. Blood is mostly plasma and red cells, with a small percentage of white and platelets.

+1

Cool! I read a lot too but not a lot of medical stuff. That is my wife's thing. Surprisingly she didn't know if fragments were the same thing schistocytes or not.

Not even a little bit. Building maintenance :s0155: I read...a lot, and typically non-fiction. Curiousity is like an itch I can't scratch...but not from lack of trying.

The average life expectancy of a red blood cell is 120 days. Because of that, we are constantly rebuilding our red blood cells - they break down, the body absorbs the "good" bits, flushes the rest and we keep on keeping on. The body doesn't waste much.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top