Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Monolithic AR-15 Uppers

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by CaliberGeek, Mar 24, 2012.

1. CaliberGeek

CaliberGeek Seattle, WA Member

What are they?

What advantages do they bring to the table?

What are the disadvantages?

I've done my research, but now I want personal opinions. I'm in the market to buy a new AR-15 upper to upgrade from the sporter upper I've had for 2 years that lacks both a dustcover and a forward-assist (it's about time for an UPGRADE :) ):cool:

2. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

If research was done first question should be answered.

May end up cheaper or more expensive then an upper+rail. You're stuck with that rail, but it's a solid one piece connection/mount. FA/Dustcover has nothing to do with mono uppers themselves. Look at Aero precicision for stripped upper, Mega I think has one. Or do it right first time and get the LMT MRP and be done!

3. Crispy

Crispy WA Member

I am just ordered for a Mega monolithic in rifle length myself.

1) they are monolithic uppers :p

2) Rigidity, fewer parts, continuous top rail

3) If you jack up any part of it your replacing the whole frickin thing

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  4. CaliberGeek

CaliberGeek Seattle, WA Member

I see. Yea I had a feeling that if i accidentally jacked up one part of the upper, I'd have to replace the whole thing or pay a gunsmith to do some extensive work instead of just replacing that part. I'm now leaning towards more of the polylithic normal uppers. More customizable, and I really don't need all that railspace seeing how all I put is a eotech, flashlight, and MAYBE a vertical grip.

5. iamme

Get hold of jc weaponry or coctailer for mega parts

6. Crispy

Crispy WA Member

7. Hardwood floor guy

Hardwood floor guy Beaverton Active Member

i have a monolithic upper on my pof rifle and love it.
    it is just the same as a quadrail,slides off the upper with a few screws so you dont have to worry about ruining the whole upper.
    vltor makes a good one and the major advantage is you dont have to squeeze all your optics in a tight area,you can use the whole upper and trust it is the same all the way down the rail whereas with a standard upper there is a little play between the upper and
    the quarrail.i really like the look too!

P1010886.jpg
    P1010878.jpg

it just slides over the existing flattop 1913 picitanny rail and makes a solid rail.i think troy makes a nice one too.

8. Crispy

Crispy WA Member

Very nice rifle, bet it is a nice shooter! It is not a monolithic upper like we are talking about though Rainier Arms™ | Browse | Receivers - Upper | MEGA MATEN 308 Monolithic Upper
    At least I think we are... I am :laugh:

That is a very interesting concept though, it does address the space between the "normal" upper and fore-end. That is an alternative for sure!!! I think that ARMS makes one to.

9. Hardwood floor guy

Hardwood floor guy Beaverton Active Member

you're right crispy,mine is actually a monolithic rail not mono upper.
    yes this upper would be toast if you stripped out something or ruined a part.i had not seen these uppers...i think i like the monolithic rail better,you still get the continious upper but can change the rail if you need.

10. iamme

VLTOR Casv does same thing as the above.

Mega Monolithic
    2cpf3bq.jpg

LMT MRP is very nice as well, just don't have a pic handy of mine but here's one in service
    LMTMWSPoppyField.jpg