Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

model seven

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by alpacagirl, Feb 12, 2011.

1. alpacagirl

alpacagirl douglas county New Member

i hear alot of good thing about a seven and im thinking of buying one in 300 wsm

2. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

More help might be forthcoming if your intended purpose for the gun is described. The Model 7 is a good gun, but the Short Magnum cartridges can be tempermental with feeding in bolt guns. Most work fine, I've dealt with two that did not. If you have a true need for a .30 caliber Magnum, you will want a gun with some mass, weight, and barrel length to realize the full advantage of the cartridge without too much felt recoil.

3. turq

turq Molino,oregon Member

My Model 7 is in 7SAUM and when fired from the bench it jumps off the steady rest at the fore arm. It's a great package, I just think a 308 in it would do much of what the short mags do. Esp. with 165gr quality bullets.Good Luck

4. orchemo

orchemo Portland Active Member

Model 7 with a 300 WSM would have quite to snap. I have a couple model 7s in 7mm-08. Great cartridge for this rifle. I tended to leave the high recoil cartridges to larger rifles, even light ones...Tikka

5. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

In smaller guns like a Model 7 or Ruger Compact I'd favor a 7mm-08 or a .308. Both cartridges do very well out of a shorter barrel. I believe that Model 7 has a longer barrel than the Compact, but neither one will allow the Short Mags to perform up to spec.They will just have a big bang, big flash and spend more of your money while they are at it!:twocents:

6. turq

turq Molino,oregon Member

My magnum Mod. 7 has a medium weight 22" barrel. 7mmSAUM. It's a nice package to carry.

7. Gutterman

Gutterman Eugene New Member

Anyone have one of these in 260 rem? This caliber has peaked my interest for antelope this year , then passing down to one of the kids for deer, yotes etc. The new Savage model 11 lightweight hunter looks promising also. Any feedback on the 260 would be much appreciated.