JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
SOLD! SOLD!

At the moment, I have to offer the following Model 1890 Winchester Slide Action .22. It is a 3rd model (serial #377XXX) with an octagon barrel, probably manufactured in 1906 or 1907. All numbers match. I picked this rifle up in a private sale from an old timer down the road. This fella was about 70 or 75 years old and said it had been in the family since it was new. He openly admitted that they'd killed a lot of small game and out of season deer with it when he was a youngster. Due to the amount of dust in the gun, I'd guess that it had been sitting around for awhile.

I recently had the hammer and hammer spring replaced with original parts by a top local gunsmith who is a big fan of this model of Winchester.

Now, here's an honest critique ...

Originally, this was chambered for .22 Long, but at some point, it seems someone made some "minor changes" to get it to accept .22 LR. Visually, the gun is in good condition and while it fires (and it's pretty damn accurate), it has an issue feeding if more than one round is in the tube. As well, the gun is only about as loud as a pellet gun, which leads me to believe that the round is slowing down a little before it leaves the barrel, even though it still punches a pretty nice little hole in stuff. One thing I have noticed, is that if you fire fairly "hot" rounds (such as CCI Stinger and other higher velocity rounds) out of it, there is a tendency for the casings to expand somewhat and stick in the breech (ie. they won't eject), while Subsonics and Standard velocity rounds have not had this tendency.

According to my gunsmith, there is a little bit of pitting in the barrel near the breech which might explain the above, but overall he felt the bore was acceptable for a gun of this age that has probably had a **** of alot of rounds put through it.

Beyond the above, it is in good condition, is fun to shoot, damn accurate and is about the most natural feeling rifle that I have ever shouldered.

So there you have it, as honest as I can give it to you.

Though imperfect, it would probably be a good one to restore, hang over your fireplace or as quiet as it is, dispatch a few pests without irritating the neighbors. Maybe you need it for parts?

I've seen Model 1890's sell from $600 up to as high as $1300 on GunBroker depending on condition, but I'll take what I've got into it: $250

I'd also consider trading for another SKS, a pump/semi auto .410, a Tokarev TT (or clone) or whatever you might have lying around.

I'm in Grants Pass, Oregon. You can either pick it up or I might be willing to meet someone part of the way depending on how far away you are.

More pics on request.

Winchester.jpg

Last Edited:
Sold!

Congrats! Now please close the ad as per the forum's rules! Also you just bumped your thread to tell people your gun is sold. Please read the rules on bumping!!!

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews