JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought this rifle new in Jan. this year (see album), and have been refining it to fit my tastes and usage of it. The only real challenge I have come across is to get it to shoot heavier bullets well. It really likes 50gr hollow points. Flat based spire points at 55gr are almost as good. Boat tail 55gr start to open up the groups and as I go up in bullet weight or length, groups progressively get larger. Strange for a 1-9 twist. I am sure it is barrel whip so I have been working on that. The last addition is that strutt and I haven't shot it yet to see if it does anything. I managed to score some Nosler 64gr bonded solid base (restricted) bullets and I would really like to get them to group reliably. Any suggestions?

Both. Also have bedded action and worked trigger group per GunDoc's great videos. I have only been using wc844 powder though and am going to get some Varget next.

Have you checked the gas block screws? They need to be tightened so the gap is even and then torqued correctly, the factory often messes this one up. Sorry I don't remember what the torque spec is.

Yep! I did that. Removed block, refitted it and re-torqued it. Also tried a front buffer, but that only bent the ejected cases more. And I "broke in the barrel" per standard recommended procedures. The only thing that makes a noticeable change is the transition from a totally clean bore through a "ideal fouling" into a heavy fouling. The best 5 shot group is after about 15 fouling shots through a clean bore. This applies to any load (as it should).

Thanks,

Keep the ideas coming please....

you needz this:
har-bar
mini 14 mini 30
682_Ruger_Mini_14.JPG

You didn't look at my photo (in album). I just put an Accustrut on it, but haven't tried it yet. I hope you are right!
Thanks

PS Love the workbench you have.

You didnt give a link you said album and it was not in your post,sooooo

it is by far the number one must have mod to the mini 14/30

PS its a google photo, I'm a g3 kinda person

Thanks, I need to figure out the link here...

I was back at the range this morning and had to do considerable shooting to get dialed in again. The 55 gr Ballistic tips that I had to try grouped at 2" consistently with just a 4 power scope so I am happy with that. Unfortunately, the cold bore shot is still low and left about 4". Not so happy with that. I wasted the 10 64gr rounds I had with me just getting on the paper so will have to do more testing on that. It looks like the strutt may have tightened up the groups a little, except for the cold shot problem.

Thanks, I need to figure out the link here...

I was back at the range this morning and had to do considerable shooting to get dialed in again. The 55 gr Ballistic tips that I had to try grouped at 2" consistently with just a 4 power scope so I am happy with that. Unfortunately, the cold bore shot is still low and left about 4". Not so happy with that. I wasted the 10 64gr rounds I had with me just getting on the paper so will have to do more testing on that. It looks like the strutt may have tightened up the groups a little, except for the cold shot problem.

When I shoot in a new scope, I do it at ten yards, make all adjustments to get yourself on paper and aligned with target 0. Maybe an inch high of the bull.
Put it out to 100 yards and shazam you are within a click or two.
Just try to remember eight or ten clicks at short range is a lot more at 100 yards and you may twist out twenty four or thirty. With the paper point blank you can see it happening.
Close up and you will save time and ammo. It is surprising how well it works.
Ten rounds was short work.

Some observations regarding my Mini-14 performance seem to be right inline with what you are experiencing with yours.

There are definite (and profound) bullet likes and dislikes. no boat tail bullet has preformed well for me. I have given up on any store bought ammo. The worst I ever shot was Remington 55 gr. MC, value pack. It would produce a consistent 8 inch group at 100 yards. My worst hand loads were half that, IIRC. Flat base bullets seem to do best for me. Two of my favorites 50 gr. SPSX and 60 gr. V-Max.

I haven't done anything to address barrel whip. One of these days... I know it needs to be done. I did install an adjustable gas block. It made a big difference in ejection.

As far as your Nosler bullets, I'd suggest H335 or 8208 XBR powder. I think that these two powders are better for this platform than Varget. I have never used WC844.

B