JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The city of Springfield sponsored a lighting ceremony for its annual Christmas Tree. ( OK, officially it is the city's "Holiday" tree. Although we did manage to get a star put on the top of the tree, which is something that is banned at the Eugene Holiday Tree, and many others. )

The city even allowed Christmas carols to be sung at the ceremony lighting the tree. Gasp! :eek: The singers were members of the Springfield High School's Choir. I guess that some parts of our country still do remain politically incorrect.

Here is a short video that I recorded:

I'm not overly religious or into Christmas.
But that being said , seeing a tree lighting and hearing carols is a beautiful thing.

And to all you folks out there that take offense to someone wishing you a Merry Christmas ...
Instead of taking offense , why not take the goodwill wishes that someone offers you and go about your merry way!
What ever happened to Peace on Earth and Goodwill towards man?!
Andy

homer-simpson-1280x1024.jpg

its not just prius drivers now! had a chevy volt at work today with a hildebeast sticker and a "Ban assault weapons and high capacity clips"

yes. clips.

I hope they do ban hi cap clips. Leave my magazines alone.
And Merry Christmas to all. Weather it bothers you or not.

Eugene not only banned putting a star on their tree, but they have banned Santa Claus from appearing at any city functions too.

Yet, just on the other side of Highway 5, the city of Springfield's Police Department holds a special BREAKFAST WITH SANTA event every year, for families to have breakfast with Santa Claus. It is odd how two cities can be right next to each other, yet so different.

Although the citizens of Eugene do look terribly down on people that live in Springfield.

Here are some photos from last weekend's breakfast with Santa in Springfield:

15369951_1543687042313200_1363273089028850837_o.jpg

15327426_1543688405646397_6325837104915515938_n.jpg

15419749_1543688378979733_3037349226923886968_o.jpg

Although the Springfield Police K-9 is actually just as popular at this event as Santa Claus is. Here is the fearsome Tjenko with the kids:

15369144_1543688622313042_8658432431587651609_o.jpg

15440525_1543688822313022_4414106762755583230_o.jpg

He is one handsome police dog:

15349665_1543688875646350_494241906978148987_n.jpg

Eugene not only banned putting a star on their tree, but they have banned Santa Claus from appearing at any city functions too.

Yet, just on the other side of Highway 5, the city of Springfield's Police Department holds a special BREAKFAST WITH SANTA event every year, for families to have breakfast with Santa Claus. It is odd how two cities can be right next to each other, yet so different.

Although the citizens of Eugene do look terribly down on people that live in Springfield.

Here are some photos from last weekend's breakfast with Santa in Springfield:

View attachment 328710

View attachment 328711

View attachment 328712

Although the Springfield Police K-9 is actually just as popular at this event as Santa Claus is. Here is the fearsome Tjenko with the kids:

View attachment 328713

View attachment 328714

He is one handsome police dog:

View attachment 328715

:D:D:D RIGHT ON :D:D:D

My daughter is part of a community choir run by a church out of Willamette. They performed several events in the last 2 weeks, including the West Linn tree lighting ceremony. Honestly I was a bit surprised because this is, for all purposes, a Christian choir and they sang true Christmas songs with a Christ theme, as well as a few more generic songs. At the end, they sang "Here Comes Santa Claus" as he rolled into the town square on an old fire engine. So yeah, Christmas music, Santa and a Christmas Tree - it was cold and wet, but it was fun to see, and honestly, a bit surprising.

On another note - a bit off topic, Texas Women's University has now asked people to stop using the term "Holiday" party because "holiday" denotes a religious context. So, the PC word for Christmas - "Holiday" is no longer PC enough for these special snowflakes. Now they want all parties in December to be called "semester end" parties so as to avoid offending those with different or no religious sensibilities. Funny, but requiring that people that DO celebrate Christmas, and other religious holidays, such as myself, find their suggestion quite offensive. So, where is my protection? My safe space? My safety pin? :s0058:

I guess if one looks hard enough one can take offense at anything. :oops:
Like I said in my first post , I wish folks would take the positive feelings and good wishes that are offered with a "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" , instead of taking offense.

It's a sad world where I can say "Fvck You!" in public and get less grief , then when I wish someone a "Merry Christmas".
( Or have it against a rule or policy. )
Andy

I'll continue to say "Merry Christmas" if it offends someone, it's their problem not mine. The PC crowd doesn't get to dictate anything unless we as a whole "ALLOW IT". We've given to much ground as it is IMO.

Merry Christmas you filthy savages.

My anti PC attitude towards Christmas: The official holiday is Christmas, not "The Holidays", not "Winter Break", not anything but Christmas. If it offends you, simply ignore it and show up for work as normal. Your convictions ARE more important than a day off, right? Right?

The fact is that I would celebrate any other religious holiday if I were someplace that had a different culture than mine right alongside the locals. I would try to learn and take from the experience what I could and not run around screaming "I'm OFFENDED!!!". I have no time or sympathy for jackasses that do that at the expense of others.

My anti PC attitude towards Christmas: The official holiday is Christmas, not "The Holidays", not "Winter Break", not anything but Christmas. If it offends you, simply ignore it and show up for work as normal. Your convictions ARE more important than a day off, right? Right?

The fact is that I would celebrate any other religious holiday if I were someplace that had a different culture than mine right alongside the locals. I would try to learn and take from the experience what I could and not run around screaming "I'm OFFENDED!!!". I have no time or sympathy for jackasses that do that at the expense of others.

I work with an orthodox Jew. A few years ago, he came to work for our company. The year after he started, the "Christmas" decorations, which had been put up for decades, were suddenly replaced with 'winter holiday' decorations - learned this was so as not to offend him. Well, I work pretty closely with him, so I asked him about whether or not Christmas decorations, Santa Claus, etc. bothered him. His answer was "Why should it bother me? They're not forcing me to celebrate Christmas, plus it's everywhere, in the stores, on the streets, it's all around, you can't avoid it. I don't participate, but I'm not offended by seeing these things - I'm not offended if someone tells me Merry Christmas either - I think they're just trying to be nice"

Wouldn't it be nice if more people could see it that way? I'm not offended by Hanukkah decorations, and if someone said "Happy Hanukkah" to me, I'd simply say it back to them. How did we get to such an f'd up place? So sad that people that have well meaning intentions in their hearts, and a desire to celebrate something that is dear to them, have to be shouted down by the most INTOLERANT people on the planet - the damn PC Police. Bunch of damn crybabies.

278397-f5f61b2ccc5d720566953850d794a146.jpg

This offends ME. Cats matter too you know. Think of how the cat's feel when only dogs are represented here! It's like telling cats that they are less of a pet than a dog, or that dogs are better than cats.

I think it's a sad commentary on the way we treat animals. :(
o_O

I work with an orthodox Jew. A few years ago, he came to work for our company. The year after he started, the "Christmas" decorations, which had been put up for decades, were suddenly replaced with 'winter holiday' decorations - learned this was so as not to offend him. Well, I work pretty closely with him, so I asked him about whether or not Christmas decorations, Santa Claus, etc. bothered him. His answer was "Why should it bother me? They're not forcing me to celebrate Christmas, plus it's everywhere, in the stores, on the streets, it's all around, you can't avoid it. I don't participate, but I'm not offended by seeing these things - I'm not offended if someone tells me Merry Christmas either - I think they're just trying to be nice"

Wouldn't it be nice if more people could see it that way? I'm not offended by Hanukkah decorations, and if someone said "Happy Hanukkah" to me, I'd simply say it back to them. How did we get to such an f'd up place? So sad that people that have well meaning intentions in their hearts, and a desire to celebrate something that is dear to them, have to be shouted down by the most INTOLERANT people on the planet - the damn PC Police. Bunch of damn crybabies.

I grew up in Utah with Mormons ALL around! I never really saw Christmas as a strictly religious holiday. Go figure. At the Mormon gatherings I attended as a kid, I just went along, completely UN-offended, and just enjoyed the parties and gatherings. When group prayers were said I sat quietly and respectfully as they did their thing.

So many things about this season have nothing to do with the birth of Christ anyway.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top