JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So while at a local shop, I noticed they had a NATO Aug in stock which accepts AR mags.

Truth be told, I prefer the Aug magazines. But they said that the AR mags are better, and that the Aug mags will melt in gun solvent and the feed lips crack easier.

BS meter rose up to critical levels fast, as its the first time I ever heard of that, as opposed to the "extremely reliable" I always heard everywhere else. So I googled it and found few forum posts and that's it.

Usual gun store BS or is there some slight truth to it? Because you'd think if this was an issue since it was designed in the 70s there would be way more than just a few posts. o_O

"They said"?

The gun store?

Does this same store sell other plastic mags? P-Mags for ARs by any chance? Glock mags? Do they melt?

"They" often say the same thing about any "plastic" gun part. It will melt when using solvent. It will melt from the heat. It will melt if you leave it on the dash of a car in the summer (this used to be something people claim about Glocks - you still hear it every once in a while).

The plastic will get brittle from UV exposure after a few years and crack (I took a vid of a first gen G21 where I took a sledge hammer and pounded on the mag well while it lay on a slate floor - hint, it didn't crack).

I think I smell something.:rolleyes:

The reason they accept NATO spec mags is because it is great to be able to swap mags with friendlies.

If I were you, I would not do business with someone who is so full of bovine fecal matter and has their cranium so far up their rectum, but it is your choice.

I rarely ever give them any business. It just rose my BS meters so high I had to ask.

Its not the only time they ever said BS either, but this was the one that rose the BS bar so high I thought the meter was out of order. o_O

The dumbest thing was that they were talking about that while there was a pmag in the Aug.

It's not BS it is fact! I was at the range one day and felt a burning sensation. Next thing; my magazines started to melt and catch fire in their holders.

bouaziziburning.jpg

I lowered my head and did a shoulder roll and managed to beat out the flames. One week in the hospital and I was as good as new. :rolleyes:

Thought my BS meter was on the dot. This is why I rarely ever go to that store. I go there so little I'm surprised they even recognize me there. o_O

It's not BS it is fact! I was at the range one day and felt a burning sensation. Next thing; my magazines started to melt and catch fire in their holders.

View attachment 343791

I lowered my head and did a shoulder roll and managed to beat out the flames. One week in the hospital and I was as good as new. :rolleyes:
That's it? My buddy's Norinco SKS went kaboom. :rolleyes:

giphy.gif

No genuine Aug mag has an issue with solvents. Some years ago there was a Microtech knockoff, that had Mags with the "wrong polymer" This was not the Mag shipped with the microtech , but the ones available from an AZ supplier. They were some type of polycarbonate, and slightly orange-ish in color.

I wouldn't be surprised if some knock-off brand put crap on the market, but not a major gun manufacturer. They would never live it down.

No genuine Aug mag has an issue with solvents. Some years ago there was a Microtech knockoff, that had Mags with the "wrong polymer" This was not the Mag shipped with the microtech , but the ones available from an AZ supplier. They were some type of polycarbonate, and slightly orange-ish in color.
I was thinking it was one of the MSAR mags and not an actual Aug mag.

I wouldn't be surprised if some knock-off brand put crap on the market, but not a major gun manufacturer. They would never live it down.
I mean... I.O puts crap on the market and seem to not have it catch up to them so far. o_O

There are a lot of plastics that solvents "eat", but they are generally not used in guns as it is well known that people use solvents on guns.
Yea I hear ya. Bug juice goes on your hands so there's no way it could get on anything else. Just saying.
I think this stuff was made before plastic guns.