JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm well on my way to obtaining all the pieces for my Mega Maten AR10 build. I bought the matched Maten upper and lower receiver set with the extended rifle length keymod handguard. I'm trying to select a buffer tube assembly (including buffer/spring) and a stock.

Talk about confusing! So if I go with a standard milspec adjustable tube, does that mean I need a shorter 308 buffer and 308 buffer spring? Or if I go with an A2 tube I can just get a standard AR H buffer and standard spring? How the bubblegum do I know which to get and what butt stock to put on it?

bubblegum! I'm going to have to look into this some more I can tell already. Anybody have any clues? Advice? What's a bad bubblegum stock to put on it and what buffer tube assembly would it require?

I'm thinking about going with the Magpul PRS Stock. Now if I go that route I would need an A2 extended buffer tube and a standard H buffer and standard AR buffer Spring? Is that correct?

Keep in mind that the PRS stock is quite heavy compared to carbine stocks. Now if your plan is to build a real heavy rifle that has a long heavy barrel on it, getting a heavy stock would have an advantage of putting some more weight in the rear to balance out a heavy barrel.

But you could then end up with quite a heavy rifle. My AR10 build ended up being only 8.1 lbs unloaded without optics. Even that ends up being quite a heavy gun to shoot, with another pound for my scope and base, and 1.5 lbs for a PMAG fully loaded with 150 gr ammo, total shooting weight comes to 10 lbs 6 oz.

So do keep track of the weights of the components that you are using. Otherwise, you might be surprised how heavy the rifle ends up being.

Keep in mind that the PRS stock is quite heavy compared to carbine stocks. Now if your plan is to build a real heavy rifle that has a long heavy barrel on it, getting a heavy stock would have an advantage of putting some more weight in the rear to balance out a heavy barrel.

But you could then end up with quite a heavy rifle. My AR10 build ended up being only 8.1 lbs unloaded without optics. Even that ends up being quite a heavy gun to shoot, with another pound for my scope and base, and 1.5 lbs for a PMAG fully loaded with 150 gr ammo, total shooting weight comes to 10 lbs 6 oz.

So do keep track of the weights of the components that you are using. Otherwise, you might be surprised how heavy the rifle ends up being.

You are right. I ended up getting this :
AR-10 Mil-Spec Carbine Collapsing Stock Assembly - Buffer Tube, Weight, Spring, Castle Nut, Receiver Plate - NO STOCK

So that I could use this stock:
Magpul ACS MAG370

I am indeed going to try to prevent this from weighing ten tons upon completion of the build.

You are right. I ended up getting this :
AR-10 Mil-Spec Carbine Collapsing Stock Assembly - Buffer Tube, Weight, Spring, Castle Nut, Receiver Plate - NO STOCK

So that I could use this stock:
Magpul ACS MAG370

I am indeed going to try to prevent this from weighing ten tons upon completion of the build.

That is a great stock. BTW, the enhanced rubber butt-pad is well worth it.

That is a great stock. BTW, the enhanced rubber butt-pad is well worth it.

Limbsaver also has a real nice enhanced recoil pad using their technology that can replace the factory pad on the ACS. I have Limbsaver Pads installed on the Magpul stocks that I have on both my AR15 and AR10.

I don't have the specific ACS Magpul model myself, but here is a photo of the Limbsaver pad installed on a Magpul ACS:

limbsaver1.jpg

See this webpage for more details:

http://www.limbsaver.com/product/magpul-carbine-stock-recoil-pad-2/

Limbsaver also has a real nice enhanced recoil pad using their technology that can replace the factory pad on the ACS. I have Limbsaver Pads installed on the Magpul stocks that I have on both my AR15 and AR10.

I don't have the specific ACS Magpul model myself, but here is a photo of the Limbsaver pad installed on a Magpul ACS:

View attachment 241149

See this webpage for more details:

http://www.limbsaver.com/product/magpul-carbine-stock-recoil-pad-2/

That may be better than the magpul pad. I have nothing bad to say about Limbsaver.

That may be better than the magpul pad. I have nothing bad to say about Limbsaver.

I was first introduced to Limbsaver products when I bought a Remington 700 which had their R3 Recoil Pad. The R3 was just a private label version of the Limbsaver, that they they made for Remington under an OEM supplier contract.

However, after Remington got bought out by that Cerberus Capital Management and put in their Freedom Group, they stopped using R3 pads. I think that the overall quality of Remington stocks has gone downhill since then. Some accountant probably figured that they could save money in producing a cheaper stock, and thought that people would not notice or care.

Limbsaver also makes a nifty slip on grip for handguns that is very comfortable and gives a very solid, tactile grip. Here is a photo of my little Walther PPS wearing the their compact model of that slip on handgun grip
:

Walther PPS grip.jpg

I was first introduced to Limbsaver products when I bought a Remington 700 which had their R3 Recoil Pad. The R3 was just a private label version of the Limbsaver, that they they made for Remington under an OEM supplier contract.

However, after Remington got bought out by that Cerberus Capital Management and put in their Freedom Group, they stopped using R3 pads. I think that the overall quality of Remington stocks has gone downhill since then. Some accountant probably figured that they could save money in producing a cheaper stock, and thought that people would not notice or care.

Limbsaver also makes a nifty slip on grip for handguns that is very comfortable and gives a very solid, tactile grip. Here is a photo of my little Walther PPS wearing the their compact model of that slip on handgun grip
:

View attachment 241411

That's funny - it covers the Walther logo. "Hey, that's a Smith and Wesson." :D

When the PPS initially came on the market S&W was still their exclusive USA importer and distributor. For some reason, they put the S&W name on the guns back then.

Both companies have since gone their separate ways. Walther now has their own USA headquarters in Fort Smith, Arkansas.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top