JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thought I'd help a friend out and clean/lube his Marlin Model 60 for him. All went well until I attempted to re-install the action into the receiver. No matter how I do it, regardless of the position of the bolt, when I install the action I am getting severe binding between the bolt, action and receiver. It is extremely hard to move the bolt at all once the rear pin is installed to secure the action to the receiver. This is my first time assembling/disassembling the rifle and everything worked normally before I took it apart for cleaning. I thought it wouldn't be too difficult of a job but Murphy's Law proved otherwise:(
Here's what I did:
Disassembly
1. Remove Trigger guard screws and trigger/guard
2. Remove Stock screws and separate stock from receiver/barrel
3. Remove rear pin from action and remove action from receiver and set aside for cleaning/lube (Did not disassemble any further)
4. Remove Bolt, Charging handle, Spring, etc from receiver clean and lube.
5. Clean and Lube Barrel and bare receiver
Assembly
1. Install Bolt with spring/pin into receiver
2. Install Charging handle onto bolt
3. Attempt to install Action onto receiver and unable to do successfullywithout having a severe binding issue between the receiver/bolt/action. I've tried installing with the bolt fully closed, locked open and everywhere in between.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Kenny

If you know someone with experience in this sort of thing, maybe ask them. Hands on works better for me than texting. I live South of Dallas, and if you can not find a person, I would be glad to help you. So far I have succeeded in reassembling many firearms.

IIRC I had the same problem with my model 60. I will tear mine down and see what I did when putting it back together. Its something simple I just can't quite remember right now. If all else fails, go over to rimfire central. They could probably tell you, but I think there is a really good write up over there or video on youtube. Google it, it took me no time at all to find the info I needed to tear apart mine so I could replace the feed throat.

you have to have the hammer cocked, the bolt rides over the hammer when you cock it. I have found on several that the hammer drags on the bolt. Make sure that the screws and screw/pin are tight and even when installing the trigger group. also loosen the front trigger gaurd screw, some time this pinches the whole thing tight enough to make it bind.

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys. Ended up tearing it all down again last night and found the arm of a spring that is supposed to sit on top of the feed throat/block had become wedged between the side plate of the action. Probably happened as I was scrubbing down the action assembly and didn't see it. Got everything back together and working great. Lesson learned and something I'm sure not to forget again.