JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I was pursuing the junk rack at a local gun store when I found something that caught my eye; it was a Carcano and it looked mostly complete except it was missing the front sight. There was no details on the card and about the only thing I did know about it was that it was not a standard 6.5 chambering, as the shopkeep said that he tried it and those cartridges did not fit.

I decided to snap it up and I would take it home to try to figure out what it shot and find the missing part. Should be pretty easy, I thought, as Carcano rifles are not all that rare, and front sights are typically one of the easier parts to come across for restoration projects. I figured I could probably even find a suitable replacement from one of the many online parts brokers. It should also be pretty easy to figure out what it shot too as it was probably rebarreld at some point to a more "standard" hunting cartridge. I was not going to be too worried about historical accuracy since I assumed it was all adulterated and sporterized anyway, I just wanted to get something shootable and call it good.

Purchase made and I brought it home to begin the process of really figuring out what I had. And oh boy did that go down a rabbit hole. Now it must be said that I am no expert in historic arms. I dabble, and I usually know enough off the top of my head to get me in the ballpark, but past that I rely on internet searches, reference books and picking the brains of more knowledgeable people. I started by trying to narrow down what exactly I had (as "Carcano" actually covers a rather large family of rifles which are all pretty similar but have distinct differences). I figured if I at least had the basic model this was spoterized from I could just order a few parts from that and more than likely they would fit and I could be done with the project.

That is not what happened at all, as the first book I checked I hit the jackpot, as that book had a picture of my exact rifle, right down to the wood finish and furniture hardware. This was not a sporterized or adulterated example at all, this was a near pristine example of Italian Fascist Youth Training Rifle straight from the interwar period. These were blank firing* 3/4th scale rifles utilized by the Opera Nazionale Balilla to train Mussolini's youth on the manual of arms for the national firearm.

I immediately hit up some of the major sites to find out more info, including how common these things are. First disappointment: no major sites had any record of this firearm in inventory. No parts, no category, nothing. Checking GunBroker I found only one example, a complete rifle, on record for the past 6 months. No parts were listed there either, currently or in the sales history. There are a few pages on this historical sites that mention this rifle, but most of them have conflicting information. This is where we get to that asterisk from above;

*I am not sure this is a blank-only firing weapon. I mean, it certainly seems well documented that it could use blanks, I even found photos of them online, and this makes sense for the intended role, but there is also some references that it used low power 6mm(x35?) ammo. Furthermore my rifle is fully rifled, nice crisp groves all the way down the barrel. This makes zero sense if the rifle could indeed only shoot blanks. Why have the rifling at all? Why not just a smooth, plugged and vented barrel? The rifling wold need to be there for something right? But other than some obscure references that talk about the rounds being "easily reloadable" I can find nothing else on the topic. I have no idea if these could be wax or wood projectiles, or if it was intended to shoot something more substantial, like an actual 6mm lead ball cartridge, or even somthing else more obscure than that. I am pretty sure these are not just repurposed barrels from something else as it is custom fit to the action, and this one is almost certainly original as it has all the correct stamps and markings (at least as far as I can tell).

So this is where we get into my call to action and bounty. I am offering a $20 bounty to direct referrals that lead to a purchase of parts and equipment that bring this gun back to an original working configuration. I don't want "go check out <some gun show>" or "So and so deals in antique firearms, he may know something." Those are great advice and list them below if you have them, but they will not earn you that bounty. What earns a bounty is "here is a direct link to one of the parts you need for sale/auction online." Or "talk to <this dude> and ask about <this part> that he had in his possession recently." If I manage to score the part in question and it makes it into this rifle's kit I will contact you about getting you your bounty. The things I know I need;
  • Front sight and bayonet mount (one piece)
  • The bayonet itself (bespoke piece? standard inventory from a military rifle?)
  • En block clip (3/4 scale compared to the full sized rifle)
  • Reusable blank firing cartridges (use primers as far as I can tell)
  • actual 6mm(x35?) ball/wax/whatever ammo, if it exists
This is a picture of my rifle

here is a gallery for what I want it to look like

Here is a reference to what I hope is the correct clip and blank cartridges;

If you have any more information please post links, there seems to be precious little actual information about these online. If I can gather enough parts I would love to put a few of these speculations to the test and post a definitive answer for posterity (most specifically the idea that the blanks could be used to propell a seperatly loaded 6mm bt bullet down the barrel, which is an interesing idea considering these were magazine fed).

I remember reading an article about these sometime in the 1950's or 60's, during the surplus rifle boom, as a rifle to avoid. It said the rifled barrels were reject barrels from the full sized rifle barrel manufacturer. That would account for the rifling. Maybe some were smoothbore?

New information may have appeared since then.

Bruce

Last Edited:

Description:
Receiver dated 1934. Plaque on right side of stock marked "VENTURINI FRANCESCO BATTISTA". ATF letter states this training rifle is a blank-firing replica that was originally issued to Italian children in an attempt to promote ambitions of a military lifestyle. With a blunt tipped bayonet.

"Ordnance Went Up Front" by Roy Dunlap

Anyway, that about takes care of the Italians' Mannlicher-
Carcano 6.5mm military arms, insofar as they can be separated into
five or six models. Each of these has its own family of modified
brothers, which are so similar to each other and the original that they
are of little interest. One "rifle" which may be included in the 6.5mm
class is the Moschetto Balilla, Mussolini's youth organization training
rifle, which used a short low-powered 6.5mm cartridge, semi-rimmed
or rimmed, I believe. This little gun is an exact copy of the M91
carbine, folding bayonet, tangent-curve sight, Mannlicher action and
all. Overall length was 29.55″, barrel, 14.55″, weight, 3.85 pounds. I
have seen two additional smaller items of this type, both copies of
the same gun. One was a .22 caliber, single-shot, though it had a
phony Mannlicher magazine, and the other was even smaller, just a
toy, not made to shoot anything. The Fascists believed in catching
the kids young, all right.

Bruce

"Ordnance Went Up Front" by Roy Dunlap

Anyway, that about takes care of the Italians' Mannlicher-
Carcano 6.5mm military arms, insofar as they can be separated into
five or six models. Each of these has its own family of modified
brothers, which are so similar to each other and the original that they
are of little interest. One "rifle" which may be included in the 6.5mm
class is the Moschetto Balilla, Mussolini's youth organization training
rifle, which used a short low-powered 6.5mm cartridge, semi-rimmed
or rimmed, I believe. This little gun is an exact copy of the M91
carbine, folding bayonet, tangent-curve sight, Mannlicher action and
all. Overall length was 29.55″, barrel, 14.55″, weight, 3.85 pounds. I
have seen two additional smaller items of this type, both copies of
the same gun. One was a .22 caliber, single-shot, though it had a
phony Mannlicher magazine, and the other was even smaller, just a
toy, not made to shoot anything. The Fascists believed in catching
the kids young, all right.

Bruce

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=ehll87n7D6s

Search:

Last Edited:
Italian-youth-rifle.jpg

Bruce

Lemme dig, I Might, ( Might) have a few of those clips, and I may have a rear sight for this, will have to check through my stash to be sure!
Thanks! I do have the rear sight (one of the reason I picked it up because usually it is the rear sights that are harder/more expensive to replace. Not so in this case it seems), but the clips would be invaluable if I can locate some ammo.

I also appreciate all the other info on this, some of it I have seen and discarded already (the one reference to 6mm Flobert seems inaccurate, as I see no way a rimmed cartridge will work given how the bolt face and extractor are laid out. The firing pin is right in the middle, which will not work for a rimfire). I also do not think they are cast-off barrels, they definitely look bespoke to the gun, which means they were rifled intentionally. They barrel diameter is definitely less than 6.5, much closer to or exactly 6mm. I do not think there was an large scale 6mm barrel production during this time in Italy, so I am not sure how they would get that many cast-off barrels in that diameter anyway. If they were true cast-offs you would think they would be in the military 6.5 caliber since they had a ton of those floating around.

I have already read some contemporary options on how crazy it was that the Italians were using a "real" bespoke production rifle for youth training when many other countries were using glorified carved sticks. I wonder if some of this "information" on using reject barrels comes from a disbelief that they would spool up such complicated and demanding production for a youth program. The Italians, on the other hand, seemed very proud of their highly advanced training rifle. I am going to remain skeptical that these are reject barrels until we can lock down a more authoritative source for the information.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews