JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi everyone. I own a 20 gauge Mossberg 500 that my wife usually hunts and shoots trap with. I've taken a liking to it and want to get another one for myself. I was looking at available ammo for it and noticed that some of the Bird loads are described as "Magnum" on the box. The 20 gauge I own does not say anything about Magnum on the barrel. I assumed this meant DO NOT SHOOT Magnum loads through it.....then I realized I have some 20 gauge Black Cloud shells that have a higher FPS then the "Magnum" loads and the box does not say anything about magnums. I also see that there are Shotguns rated for Magnum loads but they appear to be marketed as defensive type shotguns and not field guns. What's the deal? Can I shoot Magnum bird shot loads through a regular 500 or not???? I've done some googling and many on the internet do say its fine but I trust this forum a lot more then those other guys.

Dave

This comes down to your choke most guns or choke system recommend not to use certain rounds if you have a straight barrel with no choke you can use almost anything

Hi everyone. I own a 20 gauge Mossberg 500 that my wife usually hunts and shoots trap with. I've taken a liking to it and want to get another one for myself. I was looking at available ammo for it and noticed that some of the Bird loads are described as "Magnum" on the box. The 20 gauge I own does not say anything about Magnum on the barrel. I assumed this meant DO NOT SHOOT Magnum loads through it.....then I realized I have some 20 gauge Black Cloud shells that have a higher FPS then the "Magnum" loads and the box does not say anything about magnums. I also see that there are Shotguns rated for Magnum loads but they appear to be marketed as defensive type shotguns and not field guns. What's the deal? Can I shoot Magnum bird shot loads through a regular 500 or not???? I've done some googling and many on the internet do say its fine but I trust this forum a lot more then those other guys.

Dave
Check that you have a 3" chamber...most modern field 20's do.
It's not good to shoot a 3" shell in a 2-3/4" chamber.
The case mouth can't fully open, you get an instant pressure spike, the spent case won't eject but I didn't die.
Not that I would ever do that......don't do that.
In 20 most of the time "Magnum" indicates a 3" shell although there are 2-3/4" Magnums.

The basics (lead shot) are :

20 GA 2-3/4" standard load = 7/8 @ 1200 FPS
20 GA 2-3/4" magnum load = 1-1/8 @ 1300 FPS

20 GA 3" magnum load = 1-1/4 @ <1200 FPS

Chuck has more detail on the 20 here :
20 Gauge

Thanks for all the info. Now i know what "Express" means, ive got some 12 gauge buckshot with the label but never thought of what it meant. Btw, the M500 20 gauge im talking does take 3 inch shells.

So now I'm on my knees looking through my shotgun ammo in my closet every one who has a choke on there gun should have read this if it is a full choke no ammo over 1500 FPS REMINGTON HYPER SONIC 1700 FPS and this is #2 shot 3 1/2 IMG_20180224_181036.jpg MVIMG_20180224_181336.jpg MVIMG_20180224_181924.jpg

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews