JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi everyone. I own a 20 gauge Mossberg 500 that my wife usually hunts and shoots trap with. I've taken a liking to it and want to get another one for myself. I was looking at available ammo for it and noticed that some of the Bird loads are described as "Magnum" on the box. The 20 gauge I own does not say anything about Magnum on the barrel. I assumed this meant DO NOT SHOOT Magnum loads through it.....then I realized I have some 20 gauge Black Cloud shells that have a higher FPS then the "Magnum" loads and the box does not say anything about magnums. I also see that there are Shotguns rated for Magnum loads but they appear to be marketed as defensive type shotguns and not field guns. What's the deal? Can I shoot Magnum bird shot loads through a regular 500 or not???? I've done some googling and many on the internet do say its fine but I trust this forum a lot more then those other guys.

Dave

This comes down to your choke most guns or choke system recommend not to use certain rounds if you have a straight barrel with no choke you can use almost anything

Hi everyone. I own a 20 gauge Mossberg 500 that my wife usually hunts and shoots trap with. I've taken a liking to it and want to get another one for myself. I was looking at available ammo for it and noticed that some of the Bird loads are described as "Magnum" on the box. The 20 gauge I own does not say anything about Magnum on the barrel. I assumed this meant DO NOT SHOOT Magnum loads through it.....then I realized I have some 20 gauge Black Cloud shells that have a higher FPS then the "Magnum" loads and the box does not say anything about magnums. I also see that there are Shotguns rated for Magnum loads but they appear to be marketed as defensive type shotguns and not field guns. What's the deal? Can I shoot Magnum bird shot loads through a regular 500 or not???? I've done some googling and many on the internet do say its fine but I trust this forum a lot more then those other guys.

Dave
Check that you have a 3" chamber...most modern field 20's do.
It's not good to shoot a 3" shell in a 2-3/4" chamber.
The case mouth can't fully open, you get an instant pressure spike, the spent case won't eject but I didn't die.
Not that I would ever do that......don't do that.
In 20 most of the time "Magnum" indicates a 3" shell although there are 2-3/4" Magnums.

The basics (lead shot) are :

20 GA 2-3/4" standard load = 7/8 @ 1200 FPS
20 GA 2-3/4" magnum load = 1-1/8 @ 1300 FPS

20 GA 3" magnum load = 1-1/4 @ <1200 FPS

Chuck has more detail on the 20 here :
20 Gauge

Thanks for all the info. Now i know what "Express" means, ive got some 12 gauge buckshot with the label but never thought of what it meant. Btw, the M500 20 gauge im talking does take 3 inch shells.

So now I'm on my knees looking through my shotgun ammo in my closet every one who has a choke on there gun should have read this if it is a full choke no ammo over 1500 FPS REMINGTON HYPER SONIC 1700 FPS and this is #2 shot 3 1/2 IMG_20180224_181036.jpg MVIMG_20180224_181336.jpg MVIMG_20180224_181924.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top