JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've grown sick of my current job and wish to pursue what I originally wanted to do (and went to college for...) which is being a machinist.
I've done job searches but have come up with little in way of work for entry-level machinists.

It's been 10 years since I've been on the machines, but I've studied a bunch online about how things are made and currently work as a metal fabricator.
Longview is where I live but don't mind a bit of a commute, work in Scappoose currently, but I do installs so I bounce from jobsites all over doing 60+ hour weeks away.

Does anyone know of any companies/shops in the area that are in need of a good hard working man that learns quickly?

Please let me know, as I'd really like to get into the machining trade and be able to be around for my family.
Thanks.
-K

Go to Opti staffing and put in an app with them. I know alot of people look down on temp services but just think about how many more resources they have for placing you in a job. Most companys only hire temps anymore. Mostly cause if you dont like them or they dont like you its not a big deal to let you go unlike a full hire. Also it gives companies a chance to check you out to see if you are a good fit for hiring. I used Opti and got a really good full time machining job out of it. that has been over 5 years ago and they still call me a couple times a year to see how im doing and if im looking for work. I used a temp service for the job I currently have and am a machine shop supervisor now. So I dont know if Opti has an office out there but there should be something of the sort. Hope that helps man.

Just curious - are you looking for union or non-union, or does it matter? I'm wondering if you might check in through IAMAW if you haven't already. There will likely be some jobs out there you can't get without being an IAMAW member. I'm an IBEW member myself, and one of the benefits is dispatch having a book of available jobs in the area. When we need a new person, we go through the hall. That said, I also know that unions aren't everyone's cup of tea.

Unfortunately, if you really want to make a job change you may have to look at a larger market. Are you open to moving or a longer commute until you get to journeyman level? My son is a second year machinist in Seattle; there seems to be a healthy market for entry level machinists there. Boeing has a bunch of sub-contractors all over the area.

I'd prefer to find work in the Vancouver or Portland/Metro area (I used to commute to Beaverton from Longview).
I understand that may limit me, but I've got a wife, two kids, and a mid-sized menagerie that I'd prefer to not uproot.
I'm not a big fan of unions...had one throw me under the bus when I nearly got thrown under a forklift (not yet tenured).
I plan on taking some more courses and getting my machinist certification, but I'd love the hands on experience of working in a shop.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top