Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

M1A advice needed socom 16

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by slightly disturbed, Jul 9, 2012.

1. slightly disturbed

slightly disturbed Oregon City Active Member

I just recently purchased my first M1A MA9827. Yes it is a tack driver and I love it. But the thing is long. I knew what I was buying and it fits perfect. My question is about the socom 16. How accurate is it to say 300 yards and beyond. I want a CQBR and the ar platform it not really what I prefer. Im thinking about the little socom. So thoughts. Thanks

2. OFADAN

OFADAN Brownsville, OR Well-Known Member

300 no problem. Further yes but keep your expectations realistic. 168 grain Black Hills or Federal work well in mine.

3. rayd8

rayd8 Formerly Portland, now Alabama! Member

I've run a Socom16 in an EBR stock...and it ran great. I even took it through a carbine course. As Dan mentions, be realistic.......these are quite heavy as are the 20/25 rd loaded mags. IMO, weapons manipulations will generally be quicker with an AR, but 308 rings the steel a lot harder:)

And I agree that 300 was no problem with radway or battlepack ammo (DAG or SA).

4. dmancornell

dmancornell Portland, OR New Member

Dunno about the socom, but my scout hits half size human silhouettes out to 300 yards no problem with German DAG surplus.

5. H2O MAN

H2O MAN Georgia - USA Well-Known Member

I like my CQB-16 EBR type SEI and it will reach well beyond 300
    yards... so will the SOCOM with better irons and/or decent optics.

6. desert warrior

desert warrior VA New Member

I have a SOCOM 16.....in a Rogue bullpup chassis....i've stretched it out to 500yds, with no problems. It's not a surgical instrument, you could hit a Man size target with ease. I plan on taking it out to 1000yds soon...........I'll let you know how it works out.

7. H2O MAN

H2O MAN Georgia - USA Well-Known Member

They can be quite accurate, but as DW pointed out 'it's not a surgical instrument'.

This is my CQB-16 EBR type SEI.

CQB-16-II.JPG

The muzzle device and front sight I'm using

1005-SS-Brake.jpg

The YouTube video

[video=youtube;egs1M9vVP0M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egs1M9vVP0M[/video]

I hope that helps.

H2O

8. hillbilli

hillbilli whidbey island New Member

I prefer the 18" barrel of the squad scout.. I get inch groups at 100, and i put a normal gi flash suppressor- not a big fan of the socom's 16 barrel with a brake, I like whats left of my hearing, and the blinding ball of fire when you shoot about sunset is not appreciated. I have shot the 18" gun out to 500yds.

ATCclears and (deleted member) like this.