JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been flirting with the idea of picking the pistol version up and SBR'ing it. So many guns, so little money…..:D
I almost bought the old pistol version (the one with no buffer tube) cuz it would be really simple to add small piece of pic rail to back of receiver and attach 1913 style brace. The end result would be very small when brace folded. But the new one has built in buffer tube (not a real buffer tube just holds the brace) which means I would have to cut off tube to install folding adapter. Not worth it to me unless price comes down just due to extra work and paying for a brace I don't need.

Per above.

Rimfire in general is so dirty and jam prone that making it go faster seems like disappointment looking for a host.

In other words, I get that hosing out cheap little 22s is easier on the wallet than mag dumps of 5.56 , but how reliable can it really be?
Fwiw mine has been reliable with echo sport trigger. I used to have a video on here but I think I deleted it. But then I haven't dumped 50000 rounds through it that way, so depends on what the standards are, but in regular range plinking it does well. I particularly like that it runs very reliably with echo sport binary (600 rpm) suppressed using subsonics such as cci standard velocity and American Eagle suppressor. Does not run with cci quiet (730fps or 745 fps can't remember) but none of my semi autos run with that, not even hk416 or my old colt m4 where you can dial the spring tension all the way down with Allen wrench. However if u were to run Remington thunderbolt crap or similar it will jam I'm sure. Have not tried that ha ha.

Fwiw mine has been reliable with echo sport trigger. I used to have a video on here but I think I deleted it. But then I haven't dumped 50000 rounds through it that way, so depends on what the standards are, but in regular range plinking it does well. I particularly like that it runs very reliably with echo sport binary (600 rpm) suppressed using subsonics such as cci standard velocity and American Eagle suppressor. Does not run with cci quiet (730fps or 745 fps can't remember) but none of my semi autos run with that, not even hk416 or my old colt m4 where you can dial the spring tension all the way down with Allen wrench. However if u were to run Remington thunderbolt crap or similar it will jam I'm sure. Have not tried that ha ha.
Blazer always seems like the cleanest cheap 22 I could find. Less bullet lube maybe?
That cci ar 22 had just started shipping when the first big ammo crunch came down, but I thought it was a solid ,inexpensive bulk option.

Blazer always seems like the cleanest cheap 22 I could find. Less bullet lube maybe?
That cci ar 22 had just started shipping when the first big ammo crunch came down, but I thought it was a solid ,inexpensive bulk option.
Fwiw for cheap bulk supersonic I've had good luck with federal champion (not bulk pack or other similar versions). Reasonably accurate and pretty darn reliable and clean for bulk stuff.

My need for the moment on 15-22 is to try to figure out how to quiet the action cuz the action by itself is almost as loud as firing it when suppressed with subsonics. I did some sound testing the other day after getting a proper meter (using military protocols) and I was surprised.

I know that ruger 10/22 outfit (can't remember the name) does a service to quiet down the 10/22 action. They put in a buffer and some other things. so I was trying to figure out a way to do that to the 15-22. But it seems to me most of the noise comes from the bolt slamming home when chambering a new round. I can't think of any way to quiet that down without creating big problems.

Fwiw I did note that the polymer 15-22 "action" (meaning all noise not coming out the barrel) is quieter than the hk416 "action" probably due to hk416 is all metal. 15-22 is quite a bit quieter. Polymer seems to suck up some of the action noise from what I've seen so far.

edit: found the 10/22 service:

Also if anyone is interested mrguns and gear did a sound test into the 15-22 integrally suppressed. I think his sound numbers are solid (proper meter and protocols used, most sound testing is worthless on the internet). Very quiet gun:
13E9743C-0FDE-40EF-8237-9715401E396C.jpeg
8792FB8B-C5AB-4314-9AA7-750CECE37BBF.jpeg

Last Edited:
For those new to the 15-22, you can get a handguard converter nut that will allow you to run any standard AR handguard. The factory nut is proprietary and while there are a couple companies that offer handguards that work with the factory nut, options are extremely limited.

The other downside is that you need a special barrel nut tool to remove the factory nut. They're fairly inexpensive, but unless you ever decide to revert back to the factory handguard (or loan/sell it to someone else), you'll only use it the one time.

While there is nothing wrong with the factory handguard, it's only 10 inches and I prefer a 15 inch handguard. Since my 15-22 is used exclusively for competition and have no use for the BUIS, I removed them in favor of a RDS. With no front sight to worry about, I chose a handguard more suited to competition. The KVP CF version fits the bill nicely (IMHO) and a a pretty good bang for your buck too.

Back on topic…..the 25rd factory mags have served me well over the years. They're durable and don't feel cheap. The thumb studs are nice to have also. I really wish S&W would at least update them with steel feed lips though….

Thanks for all the tips! Without a doubt an extractor upgrade is in order as it seems to be for most .22's I like the extended handguard a lot. I have long arms and tend to shoot with as nearly fully extended support arm as I can.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top