JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Very interesting article from Popular Mechanics. Also some other theory on it from ATS. I never had the need to think about this until now. So if I go to the moon one day my AR is going with me, that is if I haven't lost it in a boating accident by then. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was tested when we went to the moon all those years ago. Our government wouldn't waste all that money to get there without testing everything they possibly could when there.

Perhaps the Tippmann Armory 9mm Gatling would function better in space.

Or back to the days of water cooled guns but have a cooling system that Integrates into the space suit.

Of course, 22lr would probably be an effective round on the moon.

Seems to me the ammo could be very different too. A space suit is a very fragile thing right now and might be even for military for the next few years. A slingshot or a rock might be all you need for starters. Lunar vehicles - both ground and flying (guess I can't call them aerial) are very different too, and might be more susceptible to, say buckshot for example.

And then there is the whole "be aware of your target and what is beyond it". Can you shoot a bullet around the moon? I think Lunar orbital velocity is only about 5000 FPS, so it sounds feasible.

Oh, found a Stack Exchange thread on it:

Takes over an hour and a half, but you could theoretically shoot yourself in the back. Easier to do if you're shooting along the equator, but still doable other places with lots and lots of math.

TLDR: Stand on a tall hill or a mountain, shoot while the rifle is exactly horizontal. Use a top-tier extremely high velocity round, custom-loaded with extra powder, with a high caliber sniper rifle. Anything less would not work.

Well, "high caliber sniper rifle", clearly a math geek, not a gun geek, but still pretty cool.

ARs are neat, but when guarding Spaceball One, it has to be a Calico or Tec-9:

800px-Spaceballs_1.jpg

Spaceballs_pistol_02.jpg

Yep, AK all the way. Besides, I need a new place to target shoot with all the BLM land getting posted.

Also, I thought 40 some odd years ago that I'd read the Astronauts fired a .45 1911 on the Moon. Of course how would they grip a gun with space gloves on?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top