JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
good call.

and also available in commander sized aluminum for those lightweight evenings out about town.

i know. i know. i am definitely half a man for admitting that i am pretty much done carrying a full-sized, steel 1911, but there it is.

also beware that the 1911 path is fraught with the compulsion to change stuff.

for instance your new 1911 will suddenly and magically NEED all upgraded tool steel parts to replace the perfectly fine MIM stuff inside.

then you'll somehow find yourself justifying at least a drop.in trigger set. and grips. and sights.

then your lovely wife may ask what the heck this bill is for gun parts about as big as the cost of the pistol itself.

not saying this has happened to me as all my stuff was lost in a tragic boating accident and all i have is an old .38 revolver and a .22 rifle.
but i've heard that these sorts of things can happen who are into guns.

if i was to buy something, i might just write one huge check all at once to nighthawk and call it a day.

enjoy the shopping experience. it's the best part of owning anything…
I, like you, have migrated to a lightweight commander platform for those times when a 1911 is called for. And again, a Springfield Ronin fits the bill…
706A8D24-52A7-4983-8198-94AA7900BFF4.jpeg

Maybe I missed it above, but .... forged vs cast frames (ooops SLIDES, I MEAN SLIDES) – traded a beautiful Kimber years ago after my large local store/range showed me a Kimber kaboom (they kept the whole gun with that blowout in the cast SLIDE). They stopped carrying Kimber, and so did I, ho-ho-ho :)

This discussion is like "dino juice vs synthetic" on car forums, but more clear.

Frames are also either forged or cast, yes. Colt is all-forged far as I know.

Last Edited:
I know I will pay for this but here it goes.

SAVE YOUR MONEY!

1: Not practical to carry for three reasons too heavy, need to have safety ingaged to carry loaded, and too dam heavy.

2: Too expensive for a range toy.

To wrap it up there are better options at lower prices for CC and funner options for range toys.

That being said they are accurate and dam pretty!

Dan Wesson makes the best production 1911's on the market. Springfield makes a good product and would probably be my second choice.

Note that with respect to upgrading the gun, 1911's are not plug and play like, say, AR's are. 1911's usually require some hand fitting by a qualified smith. Thus, once you get done paying for the parts, shipping, and the smith's time, it would likely have been cheaper to buy a better gun from the start. So give that some consideration if you're thinking about possibly upgrading the gun down the road.

Note that reliability becomes more challenging in 1911's once you drop under 4 inches. So going with a 4" or 5" gun is a good choice. I'd go with a 4" or 4.25" if you think there is any chance that you will ever carry the gun. If it's strictly for range and nightstand duty, then go 5".

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top