JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been looking for a stainless BLR in 300wsm as a light(ish) easy handling all around rifle for deer and elk. Maybe even a coyote if the opportunity presents itself. I like that it's short action. A takedown model would be a nice option for packing in and out

How low can you "download" this round before there are issues? Having a potential range of power (and recoil) from a .30-30 up to pretty much a 300mag is really appealing. My main inquiry is in regards to folks with history hunting, shooting, and handloading the round. Thanks in advance.

I hunted with a tikka light in 300wsm for 10 years. I developed a 180gr accubond load for it that was very accurate and never looked further. It accounted for many head of elk and deer. I am the sort that believes in finding one load for a rifle and sighting it in and not messing with it. I don't like to switch loads, scopes or anything once I get a rifle dialed in, unless there is a deficiency. You get very comfortable and proficient with the rifle when you don't muck around and change things. The 300wsm is a great round albeit stout on recoil in lighter platforms. I am also a believer in heavy for caliber bullets in most chamberings intended for big game. They tend to ruin less meat and often have better overall ballistics. A 180gr bullet in the 300wsm is a great match. I am not sure the 300wsm is a great cartridge for downloading but I am sure with diligence it can be done. It would not be my cup of tea though as I would rather just grab a .308 that I had all dialed in if I wanted less recoil. I love the blr platform and I lust for one in .270 or 7mm-08. Good luck in your quest.

I used to hunt with my 300WSM. Love the cartridge and it is exceptionally accurate. Here's a group from a mild load of 165 gr. Hornady interlock BTSP bullets and H4350 powder:
kHi7E9e.jpg

I used that particular rifle in the Deschutes canyons, when I put in for my "long range" tag....:
sMXCMOm.jpg
qagR2BG.jpg

I took one of my furthest bucks in this canyon:
VeelQX5.jpg
Shot was right at 600 yards even...

I also used another 300wsm for elk hunting. There I'd run 180 gr. Nosler partitions:
hcrwxQ1.jpg
I've shot the 300WSM competitively and for hunting. It works great for just about anything around here. The last time I handloaded for the 300 wsm was just the other night. I was helping a friend find a load for his Winchester extreme weather. I used 165gr Barnes TSX bullets with H4350 and just about every load produced 1/2 moa 3 shot group accuracy.... I've also loaded the 300WSM to 30-06 levels and it still shot very accurately. The 300WSM is a very effective and "efficient" cartridge and it actually held the record for smallest 10 shot group (2.815") at 1000 yards in the heavy gun category, back in 2010.

TAKE 10 MINUTES AND READ THIS ARTICLE. ITS BROKEN DOWN INTO A LOT OF DIFF FACTORS. BOTTOM LINE THOUGH IS THEY ARE SO CLOSE TOGETHER THAT IT IS HARD TO ARGUE EITHER WAY. THEY MAKE THE BLR IN BOTH CALIBERS AND THE ONLY THING THAT FAVORS THE 300 WM IS BEING ABLE TO GET IT ANYWHERE ANY TIME ON ANY TRIP IF NEED BE. BUT WITH THAT BEING SAID, YOU HAVE YOUR AMMO DIALED IN PRIOR TO GOING ON A HUNT SO THE ONLY TIME THIS WOULD COME INTO PLAY IS IF SOMETHING GOOFY HAPPENED.

ANYWAY, CHECK THIS OUT:

My $.02 based on your chosen rifle for that cartridge. Its got a 22 inch barrel. Assuming regular velocity of about 2950 to 3000 fps out of a 24 inch test barrel (180gr bullet) and with a loss of 25fps per inch, you're down to around 2900fps with increased muzzle blast. Why not just buy the 30-06 at that point? It will feed smoother and possibly more reliably. You'll burn up the powder in the barrel and still get close to 2800 with a 180gr bullet. Also the most available hunting ammo you can find.

The 300 Win Mag comes with a 24 inch barrel and will give you a little more juice and more common ammo, if a magnum is a must.

Last Edited:
Guys, I didn't think he was interested in wanting something other than 300WSM? I may be wrong, but he was asking for anyone with experience using the 300WSM in both hunting and real world shooting. I personally like the 30-06 better as well, but that wasn't the question. Was it? With that being said, I'd also take my 308 Norma over anything made in 30 cal...

Guys, I didn't think he was interested in wanting something other than 300WSM? I may be wrong, but he was asking for anyone with experience using the 300WSM in both hunting and real world shooting. I personally like the 30-06 better as well, but that wasn't the question. Was it? With that being said, I'd also take my 308 Norma over anything made in 30 cal...

Ok, I've owned two 300 WSM rifles. One didn't feed worth a damn (M700) and accuracy was so-so. The magazine box was also too short. If constrained to a 2.8 inch box, the 300 SAUM would have been a better fit. So, I sold it.

I bought a Winchester M70 Extreme
Weather in 300 WSM and it shot great and fed reliably, but not smoothly. I took a deer with it and was happy until I chrono'd the loads at 2900fps. Not because it wasn't enough, it just wasn't enough to justify the extra cost in brass or the loss of capacity over my 30-06 that got 2825 with the same 180gr bullet. Sold the WSM, kept the 30-06.

If doing a WSM again, I'd make sure it wasn't in a rifle with one action length. Id load lighter mono-bullets like the Barnes TTSX and push them fast. I'd go no shorter than 24 inches of barrel.

Ok, I've owned two 300 WSM rifles. One didn't feed worth a damn (M700) and accuracy was so-so. The magazine box was also too short. If constrained to a 2.8 inch box, the 300 SAUM would have been a better fit. So, I sold it.

I bought a Winchester M70 Extreme
Weather in 300 WSM and it shot great and fed reliably, but not smoothly. I took a deer with it and was happy until I chrono'd the loads at 2900fps. Not because it wasn't enough, it just wasn't enough to justify the extra cost in brass or the loss of capacity over my 30-06 that got 2825 with the same 180gr bullet. Sold the WSM, kept the 30-06.

If doing a WSM again, I'd make sure it wasn't in a rifle with one action length. Id load lighter mono-bullets like the Barnes TTSX and push them fast. I'd go no shorter than 24 inches of barrel.

Awesome post my friend. That right there is probably what the OP is looking for in regards to hearing about practical use and experience with the WSM. I'm with you on the 30-06 vs. WSM. A 1000%!!!! I also don't have a 300wsm anymore. I favor the 30-06, for probably the same exact reasons you do: Treads on the heals of the WSM, can be just as accurate, has been around for ever (ammo is plentiful), feeds better (in my experience), more mag capacity: Generally 5 vs. 3.... All good points and should be considered when purchasing a rifle. A little story on the WSM that I used to shoot the bull in the previous post. Yes it was a small bull, it plowed its spikes in the snow after the shot. It was on the move when I put a 180gr partition through its heart. Anyway, on that hunt, I tried like crazy to put a 4th round in that rifle, 3 down 1 in (3 in the mag and one in the pipe), but that just wasn't happening without some serious effort. I'm used to running a few more than that in my old '06, I always hunt with. :rolleyes:, just sayin.... Anyways, after denting up the shoulder and finally succeeding to put 1 in the pipe and 3 in the magazine, it was then that I decided I'd send the rifle off to someone else and not use a WSM for hunting anymore.... I'm funny like that.. If a rifle pizzes me off on any hunt, it gets sent down the road asap....;)

Last Edited:
Yes, these are the exact comments I was hoping for! And, in the last few days, between the cost of ammo/components and how blasted hard it is to find a stainless BLR in 300wsm, I'm considering other chamberings. Why I'm set on the stainless BLR is multifactorial. First, I love lever actions. Second, I want stainless/laminate for ease of care. Third, their commonality in a take down model is appealing for a lot of the terrain I've found to hunt this year. Fourth, I need to start training to shoot left handed more and a lever is gonna make that a lot easier than a bolt. And I don't want a semi-auto.

I definitely want a.30 caliber or bigger so I feel comfortable using it on elk. I'm leaning to .308 over the .30-06 because the short action makes it a little shorter and lighter. But then I see these .358 Win models occasionally and I'm tempted. I figure it'll come down to what the first decently priced one I find is chambered in. Thanks for the comments.

Yes, these are the exact comments I was hoping for! And, in the last few days, between the cost of ammo/components and how blasted hard it is to find a stainless BLR in 300wsm, I'm considering other chamberings. Why I'm set on the stainless BLR is multifactorial. First, I love lever actions. Second, I want stainless/laminate for ease of care. Third, their commonality in a take down model is appealing for a lot of the terrain I've found to hunt this year. Fourth, I need to start training to shoot left handed more and a lever is gonna make that a lot easier than a bolt. And I don't want a semi-auto.

I definitely want a.30 caliber or bigger so I feel comfortable using it on elk. I'm leaning to .308 over the .30-06 because the short action makes it a little shorter and lighter. But then I see these .358 Win models occasionally and I'm tempted. I figure it'll come down to what the first decently priced one I find is chambered in. Thanks for the comments.

Be careful of 35 caliber rifles. They are often twisted slow, limiting you to shorter bullets that bleed energy quickly. Don't believe the "brush gun" stuff. I've personally seen a 375 deflect off light brush.

If you are leaning toward heavier bullets, I'd suggest looking at the 30-06 again unless you have a lot of 308 laying around. The 30-06 loaded to modern pressure in a modern rifle handles heavier bullets in the 180gr and 200gr realm a lot better than the 308, and without the need to compress loads.

I think loading a minimum charge with something like a 110, 115, or 125 would make great practice/coyote rounds that would be easy on the shoulder. (not good LR bc tho). Then have your standard 168/180gr load for deer/elk. 300wsm is a great round and is known to be very accurate.

I shoot a x bolt .300 wsm
I took a bull a 450 yards with it whioe
It was moving at a brisk pace.
One shot. Did it's job!
I had a VX-6 worked up. I actually found the nosler accubond trophy grade to be very consistent. 180 grain.

The .308 Anything is still classed as a .30 calbre cartridge. Even my 7.5x55 Swiss is a .30cal.......................

I've never "downloaded" my 300wsm, but my go to elk load is norma brass with 180gr accubond going 3100fps out of a 24" barrel. No pressure signs and very accurate. Rifle is a tikka.

If you're handloading a 300wsm it is no comparison to an 06 and is virtually the same as a 300 win mag.
The 300 win mag shines if you choose to run heavier bullets.

Now if you are buying factory 300wsm ammo and handloading a 30-06 you will start to close the performance gap between the 06 and wsm.

just my .02.

I think he's saying your Norma is a .30cal. I believe you're saying you'd take your Norma over any other .30cal, but the way you worded it, it sounds like you mean it isn't a 30cal. It sounds like you're saying you'd take a 454 over any v8. Read wrong, it just don't make no sense.

I think he's saying your Norma is a .30cal. I believe you're saying you'd take your Norma over any other .30cal, but the way you worded it, it sounds like you mean it isn't a 30cal. It sounds like you're saying you'd take a 454 over any v8. Read wrong, it just don't make no sense.
I hate it when it, "just don't make sense". :D . Yes, I would take my 308 Norma magnum over any 30 cal made. That means 30-30, .300 savage, 308 winchester, 30-06, 300wm, etc. etc...... That's not too hard to understand, is it? That's not saying I don't like the cartridge in question. The 300WSM is an excellent cartridge, but I wouldn't take it hunting anymore, based on my experience. I like other cartridges better for that application.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top