JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking to put together a good cleaning kit for my son who is finally starting his gun collection (mostly guns I am slowly handing down to him)... ;) I'm wondering who in the Portland Metro area has a decent selection of cleaning supplies- one piece cleaning rods, bore guides, solvents, jags, brushes, etc.... to put together a complete kit for him for Christmas... Trying to save blowing through $100 in gas running around looking for a $75 cleaning kit... ;) yup, I'm a cheapskate....
I tried Sportsmans and their selection was pretty dismal before the recent Prop 114 rush, now it's even worse.

Bob

Have you thought about ordering from Brownells or Midway? You can probably find everything you need and never have to leave the comfort of your easy chair. The money you save on gas you can put toward upgrading to a nice carbon fiber/ball bearing cleaning rod. :)

Agree with midway and brownell's... anything you could ever dream of at your fingertips, but locally... I'm a bi-mart guy too. They have starter kits as well as individual components as add-ons for something like that. Although, it'll get the job done, but it's also pretty cheap quality gear.

Another route would be something like this.

It's not top of the line quality, but better than most, it's an excellent value and gives them a dedicated case to fill out for their personal choice cleaning products and gun tools.

I went that route with my kids. That case and a bottle of hoppes solvent, bottle of oil... bag of patches and some tins for solvent/soak/parts/etc.

Not those exactly, but you get the idea.

Last Edited:
Looking to put together a good cleaning kit for my son who is finally starting his gun collection (mostly guns I am slowly handing down to him)... ;) I'm wondering who in the Portland Metro area has a decent selection of cleaning supplies- one piece cleaning rods, bore guides, solvents, jags, brushes, etc.... to put together a complete kit for him for Christmas... Trying to save blowing through $100 in gas running around looking for a $75 cleaning kit... ;) yup, I'm a cheapskate....
I tried Sportsmans and their selection was pretty dismal before the recent Prop 114 rush, now it's even worse.

Bob
No one local is going to have what you really need.
Just a smattering of basic stuff and cheap entry-level stuff.

As stated above shop on line.
Bore Tech Eliminator
Lucas products
Dewey rod
Pro Shot products

From Lowe's about $12
09231267.jpg

Personally I would skip a complete kit because quality is too low. Better to get good quality components that you need than a bunch of stuff that doesn't get used or breaks.

I would get a 1 piece carbon fiber rod, whatever jags/brushes you prefer, some plastic picks and a good CLP and/or oil. A good dry lube will make a night and day difference when cleaning the next time vs leaving wet oil where it will collect carbon fouling, unburnt powder, etc.

Fwiw I like these products:

I would rank these10 out of 10, can cut down for smaller calibers. No lint, floss, loose strands or fraying. super absorbent.

I would rank these 7 out of 10, mainly due to wood shaft breaks of course. Pointed end can be a huge help. Q tip type end can be smashed with pliers to make a paddle type swab.

A good bore snake is a great help also.

Imo cosy for only the good quality components you will use should be about the same or slightly more than the kit.

Guess I should have elaborated a bit-
My son is 45, a Marine Corps vet, and just now rounding up his own gun collection . Mainly because he had a dad who liked to collect gun, reload, etc... so he never really had to - I always had a gun for him to use that would eventually become his anyway...

Also, I am looking at putting together a decent kit but probably not all at once. The basics at first and add to it as I can. I shop at Midway and Brownells and I looked there this time also, but their selection isn't what I was hoping and shipping is sometimes slow and expensive with both of them.

I was able to put together a decent starter kit with a Hoppes one piece cleaning rod, a bronze brush and jag set, some Hoppes #9 cleaning solution, a bottle of gun oil, a couple packages of different sized patched, and some gun cleaning brushes. Not really a fan of bore snakes or segmented cleaning rods. Other items will come along later, but I am pressed for time this year as we will be out of town for Christmas so our family celebration will be this weekend at my son's house...

Thanks for all the suggestions- believe it or not the best selection I could find in town was at Big 5 Sporting Goods... and decent prices also....

Bob

Guess I should have elaborated a bit-
My son is 45, a Marine Corps vet, and just now rounding up his own gun collection . Mainly because he had a dad who liked to collect gun, reload, etc... so he never really had to - I always had a gun for him to use that would eventually become his anyway...

Also, I am looking at putting together a decent kit but probably not all at once. The basics at first and add to it as I can. I shop at Midway and Brownells and I looked there this time also, but their selection isn't what I was hoping and shipping is sometimes slow and expensive with both of them.

I was able to put together a decent starter kit with a Hoppes one piece cleaning rod, a bronze brush and jag set, some Hoppes #9 cleaning solution, a bottle of gun oil, a couple packages of different sized patched, and some gun cleaning brushes. Not really a fan of bore snakes or segmented cleaning rods. Other items will come along later, but I am pressed for time this year as we will be out of town for Christmas so our family celebration will be this weekend at my son's house...

Thanks for all the suggestions- believe it or not the best selection I could find in town was at Big 5 Sporting Goods... and decent prices also....

Bob
Why aren't you a fan of bore snakes?

Bob
midwayusa.com is where I get all my cleaning supplies from. You should be able to put together a kit with 3x the supplies of any retail shop for the same money. I would reccomend throwing a can of Kroil in the kit... it is the best I have ever used for powder buildup in the barrel.

I would rank these 7 out of 10, mainly due to wood shaft breaks of course. Pointed end can be a huge help. Q tip type end can be smashed with pliers to make a paddle type swab.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07SRT5R4D?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Welp, there goes another hit on the ol' Discover Card!

@BobSc I've learned that the kits are mostly low quality or stuff I won't use. Amazon is my first choice for cleaning tools. shipping is getting stupid from others. I still get the solvents and lubes locally.

If you are looking for a local shop with decent quality cleaning supplies, I believe Oregon Rifle Works in Tigard carried Pro Shot cleaning supplies last time I was by there. I have several Pro Shot rods and jags and have been happy with them. Not sure if they carry a selection of bore guides, but I think I've bought Kroil from them, and maybe patches also. There used to be a vendor at the Albany gun shows that carried a decent selection of cleaning stuff too.

If you are looking for a local shop with decent quality cleaning supplies, I believe Oregon Rifle Works in Tigard carried Pro Shot cleaning supplies last time I was by there. I have several Pro Shot rods and jags and have been happy with them. Not sure if they carry a selection of bore guides, but I think I've bought Kroil from them, and maybe patches also. There used to be a vendor at the Albany gun shows that carried a decent selection of cleaning stuff too.
I've dealt with the vendor at the Albany show and will again, but my time frame didn't work out this time around to wait for the next Albany show. Thanks for the heads up on Oregon Rifle works... I have several Pro Shot products, including a couple rods and other items... may have to make a trip over there next week...

I've dealt with the vendor at the Albany show and will again, but my time frame didn't work out this time around to wait for the next Albany show. Thanks for the heads up on Oregon Rifle works... I have several Pro Shot products, including a couple rods and other items... may have to make a trip over there next week...
It's been a bit since I've been by Oregon Rifle Works, so I'd call them first to see what they have available. But hopefully they have what you are after.

I have a ton of jags, brushes, bore snakes, etc... The Real Avid Bore Boss, are the bubblegum. I have one for every caliber I shoot, and they go in my range bag. When I break them down in the garage, I still use them a lot. I think they are about ~$10 at Cabelas/Sportsmans, and come in tons of calibers. Anyway, you should grab a few, they are handy.
https://www.realavid.com/product/bore-boss/

Last Edited:
I have a ton of jags, brushes, bore snakes, etc... The Real Avid Bore Boss, are the bubblegum. I have one for every caliber I shoot, and they go in my range bag. When I break them down in the garage, I still use them a lot. I think they are about >$10 at Cabelas/Sportsmans, and come in tons of calibers. Anyway, you should grab a few, they are handy.
https://www.realavid.com/product/bore-boss/
Same experience here. I've had good luck with this brand. Had the brass weight thing come off on other brands.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top