JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know there is no be-all-end-all for anything when it comes to handloading... But I'm looking for some new ideas.

I'm searching for a faster, while equally accurate varmint load for my varmint rig. Although unimportant, my rifle is a RRA based AR chambered in 223/556.

I have only ever use H335 in my 223 loads. Not that I have anything against anything else, but the 335 has worked great for me thus far. BUT! I'm searching for something.

As of now, I have a 50gr load at 3150 fps that will print 0.50" groups every single time, and 0.30" groups VERY regularly.

I also have a 40gr load at 3575 fps that prints 0.55" groups, mostly consistently.

My goal? I want as fast and accurate as possible. I don't care the bullet weight (within reason), the powder, etc. This rig is for rats only. Plain and simple. I need speed and precision.

I picked up some Varget the other day to play with some heavier loads, although those will more be for bragging rights on paper than anything else. But I plan to experiment with it in the lighter loads as well.
I love the accuracy of my 50gr load, but its a bit slow for my liking. I'd really like to get up into the 3400 fps range with the same kind of accuracy.

Any insite?

Check out the 5.56 precision military rifle competition websites.. those guys generally load real fast.. mainly tossing their brass after one firing as the primer pockets won't hold primers any longer.

Thanks for all the input guys, I've had quite a few recommendations for CFE 223, I'm thinking it is one I'm going to give a try.

N133 power is something you might want to try with 40 and 50 grain bullets. Most accurate powder I've ever used in my 223s and you can get excellent velocity and maintain accuracy. It meters well since it is a short fine stick powder, but it won't meter as good as 335.

Have you looked into a 20 practical? Uses necked down 223 brass...about as simple as it gets. Excellent accuracy and velocity. Accurate Shooter website has some good info on it.

If velocity and explosive performance is your goal, then 40 gr. tipped bullets should be on your menu. What is the twist rate and length of your barrel? I have pushed the 40 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip 3800 fps out of my 26" 1 in 12" twist Remington bolt gun. 3500 fps is what I get with my 1 in 8" twist 24" Stag Model 6. That was with max loads listed in the Lyman No. 49 manual with Accurate 2015 powder. I don't believe Varget or CFE-223 will get you top velocities in the .223 with 50 gr or lighter bullets. They provide better performance with heavier bullets, 55 gr and up. Which is fine if you are shooting longer range as they will buck the wind better. But if you are looking for aerial displays or red mist factor at 200 yards or closer, go light, fast and have fun. Ballistic Tip, V-Max, Zombie Max, Varmageddon, BlitzKing all work great with Ramshot Tac, Exterminator, Accurate 2230, 2200 or 2015.
Of course, if you have a 1 in 7 1/2" twist 16" barrel, you might consider going up in bullet weight and giving up some speed to improve accuracy.

Try some Hodgdon CFE223. Very fast for 223 and seemed to be more accurate the faster you push it.

I've found it likes to be compressed a little if not a lot sometimes. Does have more recoil than other powders especially in the .308

Interesting note about CFE-223:
IMG_2087.jpg

It also likes barrels longer than 16". On my 16" barrel I went .2gr over max and appear to have LOST velocity.

According to Hodgdon and their website 25.8gr should be running 3000fps +\-. Find a different powder for a longer barrel.

Solution is to say it needs more room to burn because 50fps/in of barrel is excessive. (Even though these were shot sans crimp).

Wish I could help, but my varmit loads are all .243 and 22-250.... as near as I can tell, I am the only guy left who doesn't shoot .223o_O

Don't feel alone, I don't either. What I DO shoot is two different loads each for 7x57, 7.5x55, 308Win, 45-70 and .38/.357, and just one load for 6.5x55. I also shoot .58cal PB muzzleloading rifle and .44cal revolver and starting up to shoot .577 Snider.

No matter how I try, I just can't get too interested in teeny cartridges.

tac

If velocity is what the OP is looking for, perhaps he should try the .224-50, an experimental [accent on the mental] .50cal BMG case necked down to take a .22cal bullet.

12b.jpg

Using available software, I calculate that given a load of just over 200gr of Boomite Infinity powder and a regular 55gr bullet, you should e looking at a velocity of around 14,800 fps.

Well, for the first half inch of the bullet flight post muzzle - it would have disintegrated into fine powder half an inch later from pure centrifugal force, due to a rotational speed approaching 3/4 million rpm.

tac

If velocity is what the OP is looking for, perhaps he should try the .224-50, an experimental [accent on the mental] .50cal BMG case necked down to take a .22cal bullet.

View attachment 344141

Using available software, I calculate that given a load of just over 200gr of Boomite Infinity powder and a regular 55gr bullet, you should e looking at a velocity of around 14,800 fps.

Well, for the first half inch of the bullet flight post muzzle - it would have disintegrated into fine powder half an inch later from pure centrifugal force, due to a rotational speed approaching 3/4 million rpm.

tac

At this point, I suggest you bypass reloading entirely and select Marvin the Martian's weapon of choice for those pesky rabbits and other varmits.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top