Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

looking for a little schooling on building my 1st AR....

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by jmac3434, Mar 7, 2011.

1. jmac3434

jmac3434 SE portland Member

So i have decided to put together an AR from scratch, I do have firearm experience but this being my first ground up build I am looking to have someone check my work and able to kind of walk me through the rest of the process. I want to be completely sure this riffle is in safe working order before shooting it. Upper and lower are complete and the barrel/FF rail/ & gas assembly will be here in a few days. So anyone out there with a lot of AR building experience would like to help me out it would be much appreciated!

here is how it sits as of now...

DKJL;FAES.jpg

2. nrc

nrc Oregon Member

3. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

If you were in Eugene I'd help ya out. Hardest part of LPK's is the front takedown detent and bolt catch, but maybe that's just my fat fingers!!

4. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Brownells has a free multi part video on AR15 builds.. I am using it for my first solo build and it has been of great assistance. I used Download Helper in Mozilla to save it to my hard drive and I can now start and stop it any time, anywhere in the video, off line

Buy some 100 MPH or Gorilla tape to mask off parts of your lower to protect the finish as you assemble

5. jmac3434

jmac3434 SE portland Member

as you can see in the pictures, the upper and lower are already assembled. I was looking for some check the head space and help install the barrel and FF tube since i do not have the tools for the and maybe take a peak at the rest of the gun to check my work.

6. Grommit327

Grommit327 Buckley Active Member

As long as the barrel came with the extension installed the headspace should be good to go. Very rarely is there headpsace problems unless you mess with the extension. Find some one with a good FF wrench and an action block and the rest is easy. Those are the only two specialty tools I needed to do my AR

7. supergenius

supergenius 206 Active Member

15th Prestige?

LOL

8. GUNNY

GUNNY DAMASCUS OREGON Member

oregonbrass is gona be offering a full class on building Ar's from the ground up, shoot him a pm.

gunny