JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
http://www.bendbulletin.com/localst...for-fix-to-odfw-money-woes?referrer=carousel1

The Legislature is hoping to avoid routinely hiking license fees as it has done during agency budget shortfalls in 2004, 2010 and again this year. Melcher noted hunting and fishing are voluntary.

"Folks don't have to pay us to go hunting and fishing," Melcher said, adding that hunters and anglers can choose to go out of state or not to hunt and fish. "These are entirely discretionary expenditures."

Secretary of State Jeanne Atkins pointed out in an audit released in the week leading up to Tuesday's meeting that agency employees struggle because of a lack of strategic planning by the agency.

Maybe if they didn't spend so much on fancy buildings every dozen or so years they would have some money to care for our animals.

The building off the Parkway in Salem was only used for a few years had such fancy materials as Italian Limestone panels on the outside and cost a small fortune to build. They were only in the building from 2003 to 2012 after moving out of a Building in Portland they had not out grown the cost of these moves and building is unbelievable.

"The task force looking at ODFW funding is made up of leaders from outdoors, tourism and wildlife viewing groups, and none is from Central or Eastern Oregon. The group embarked Tuesday on what will be months of work before it reports to the Legislature on how to get a growing community of wildlife viewers — like bird watchers — and other groups that benefit from healthy wildlife populations to front the money for conservation."

Next time you shoot a deer it might just be with a Cannon:p

Who else wonders what bicycle racers have to do with wildlife?
Kenji Sugahara, executive director of the Oregon Bicycle Racing Association in Salem;
Bicycle racers benefit when they don't have to worry about hitting deer in the road. Is that why the ED is on this committee? To make sure there are fewer ungulates on the road?

Maybe if they didn't spend so much on fancy buildings every dozen or so years they would have some money to care for our animals.

The building off the Parkway in Salem was only used for a few years had such fancy materials as Italian Limestone panels on the outside and cost a small fortune to build. They were only in the building from 2003 to 2012 after moving out of a Building in Portland they had not out grown the cost of these moves and building is unbelievable.

You're saying they aren't even using that building still marked ODFW?! :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
As I have said before, a lot of these so-called conservationists don't even KNOW what the Pittman - Robertson act is, or what it does. I see ODFW is considering applying fees to everyone who uses the outdoors now. This will make the environmentalists howl because they are so used to having fees levied against other groups and reaping the benefits. At least ODFW is smart enough to realize that traditional hunting & fishing is their bread and butter, and that this is truly discretionary spending from us. When it gets too expensive, we just don't do it.

i got an idea. lets let them wildlife viewer tourist idiots go stay the night in eastern oregon in the wilderness under the stars and then see how long it takes for them to start managing cougars and wolves correctly;)

The best idea I can come up with, as an attention getter, is to have a complete moratorium on hunting and fishing for one year. Every hunter and angler just takes a one year break from the purchase of any license. This means you muzzleloader and bow hunters as well. The statisticians would go beserk, as well as the financial folks. Since the various legislators in Washington and Oregon are so intent on gun control, as well as irresponsible spending, this would be a sure fire way of letting them know we won't tolerate their BS. You can talk until you are blue in the face, but when you have the power of the purse and you can stop revenue from reaching these infidels, THAT is effective political negotiation. Of course, that will never happen. It is a dream I have.
It is a thought that occurred to me during the recent financial unpleasantries. Does anyone recall when the price of gas went through the roof and people were driving much less or driving more fuel efficient vehicles? Here in Washington, the gas tax receipts were so low that the legislature was ready to tax bicycles to help fund transportation. That caused quite a stir in the various pelatons.

The best idea I can come up with, as an attention getter, is to have a complete moratorium on hunting and fishing for one year. Every hunter and angler just takes a one year break from the purchase of any license. This means you muzzleloader and bow hunters as well. The statisticians would go beserk, as well as the financial folks. Since the various legislators in Washington and Oregon are so intent on gun control, as well as irresponsible spending, this would be a sure fire way of letting them know we won't tolerate their BS. You can talk until you are blue in the face, but when you have the power of the purse and you can stop revenue from reaching these infidels, THAT is effective political negotiation. Of course, that will never happen. It is a dream I have.
It is a thought that occurred to me during the recent financial unpleasantries. Does anyone recall when the price of gas went through the roof and people were driving much less or driving more fuel efficient vehicles? Here in Washington, the gas tax receipts were so low that the legislature was ready to tax bicycles to help fund transportation. That caused quite a stir in the various pelatons.

WA at least relies on those fees to cover over half of their yearly budget - it would put a massive hurt on them to take a year off.

Unfortunately, I doubt we could get a united front going. The first thing that comes to mind is "no other hunters on public lands.... He'll yes I am going hunting!!!"

ODFW does an amazing job managing the wildlife populations. I don't know what you guys are talking about.

They do such a good job managing the deer and elk populations for Cougars and wolves it's great that we can support them and not be able to hunt them with dogs.

A while back I offered to go hiking with my state representative when he blindly mentioned how effectively the predator population was being managed. I heard as much of a response from him as when I spoke out in person against BS941. Cowards, the whole lot of them.

Cowards hide behind town hall meetings and never respond to citizens legitimate concerns with actual answers.

Cowards always talk about "having a committee" sit down and discuss while knowing damn well nothing will ever be done. Talk is cheap, so are bullets.

Why should the odfw be any different. They have aspirations to being a political force themselves.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top