JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'll let others handle that, since I don't hunt anymore, but...

Welcome to The Board! :s0162:

The blacktail I've seen have been during archery season. Most have been just off the gravel roads in thinner stalked timber like cottonwood. Not so much in the pines. They are frequently crossing the roads. Lots of does and fawns, not nearly the number of males hunters are looking for. I don't really see them in herds like elk, more individual. It's hard to find knee high grass because of the defoliants Weyerhaeuser has been using, but that's what I think they're eating. They all need water, so consider setting up near a creek if you can find a game path. Trailcams will be useful during your scouting trips. If you're using a rifle, you won't need more than a 30-30 lever gun for snap shooting under 50yards. You can try the elk approach, drive and hike to the tallest hill and use a spotting scope, with plans to take a 500yd shot with your flat shooting bolt gun, but I think you're wasting your time. If you drive around like you're road hunting grouse, you will find deer before you know it. Word of warning, the Weyerhaeuser forest police are frequently at the gates checking passes and won't think twice about calling your plate in to WDFW/Sherrif's Office if they see poaching. Cross your T's and dot your I's.

One other word to the wise. Twice I've been stalked by cats. Watch your flanks and be very aware to when things seem too quiet.

Purchased a season access to Weyerhaeuser Longview-Mount St Helens property for camping-fishing-hunting. Any advice on rifle hunting deer on this property. Productive areas? Spotting/hunting techniques?
Hey neighbor, howzit in COVID land. :confused:
That's pretty cool you got access for the season.
I seem to remember St. Helens was pretty wooded. You'd probably be ok with whatever your favourite hunting rifle is, but I'd do a lower powered adjustable scope. Maybe 2-7X. You'll want to see through the brush in the thicker areas and the low magnification will help you do that.
Been a while since I've been deer hunting myself, so I don't recall any areas in particular.
But as with anywhere else, they'll be were the vegetation and the cover is thick.
Plenty to eat and plenty places to hide. Deer like that.
Welcome aboard. Hope to see you around here often. Not many of us from Kidnap County here. :)

Dean

Purchased a season access to Weyerhaeuser Longview-Mount St Helens property for camping-fishing-hunting. Any advice on rifle hunting deer on this property. Productive areas? Spotting/hunting techniques?
Assuming you will be hunting black tail deer, they are pretty nocturnal during the summer and first part of the fall, and are also known to "migrate". Pre-season scouting is best served looking for areas where deer would like to feed, usually clearcuts or places where the timber isn't too thick. Early season, you will want to try and catch deer moving from feeding areas to bedding areas, either early in the morning or late in the evening. Later in the season bucks will start going into the rut, so you will want to prioritize hunting the later parts of October. Once bucks are in the rut, they will be out more during the day, will be looking for does, and in general will get stupid.

The blacktail I've seen have been during archery season. Most have been just off the gravel roads in thinner stalked timber like cottonwood. Not so much in the pines. They are frequently crossing the roads. Lots of does and fawns, not nearly the number of males hunters are looking for. I don't really see them in herds like elk, more individual. It's hard to find knee high grass because of the defoliants Weyerhaeuser has been using, but that's what I think they're eating. They all need water, so consider setting up near a creek if you can find a game path. Trailcams will be useful during your scouting trips. If you're using a rifle, you won't need more than a 30-30 lever gun for snap shooting under 50yards. You can try the elk approach, drive and hike to the tallest hill and use a spotting scope, with plans to take a 500yd shot with your flat shooting bolt gun, but I think you're wasting your time. If you drive around like you're road hunting grouse, you will find deer before you know it. Word of warning, the Weyerhaeuser forest police are frequently at the gates checking passes and won't think twice about calling your plate in to WDFW/Sherrif's Office if they see poaching. Cross your T's and dot your I's.

One other word to the wise. Twice I've been stalked by cats. Watch your flanks and be very aware to when things seem too quiet.
For the ignorant and uninitiated, are you talking about mountain lion/cougar? And if so, are you able to kill them without penalty if for personal safety? Sorry for the stupid questions...

For the ignorant and uninitiated, are you talking about mountain lion/cougar? And if so, are you able to kill them without penalty if for personal safety? Sorry for the stupid questions...

For personal protection, yes you can defend yourself. You should immediately call fish and game to report the incident. Otherwise you could be cited for waste...

Or as Poleok mentioned, have a tag for those too.

alot of good tips! here, especially when things get quiet.... recently saw a documentary on the Mt st helen's eruption and people who were in the area that survived recalled the forest being very quiet before the eruption, ergo animals sense when danger is near be it predator or mother nature!

Call the Region 5 office of WDFW and ask to speak to a game warden. Weyerhaeuser has an agreement with the state of Washington about hunting, etc. on their property. However, I would be the first to tell you that they don't always hold up their end of the agreement. They can and do close gates and roads and deny access when they think that fire danger warrants it. They can be very subjective about "fire danger." They are a private, for profit company and like to promote themselves as "public" friendly, but there's really nothing in it for them to be "friendly."

Call the Region 5 office of WDFW and ask to speak to a game warden. Weyerhaeuser has an agreement with the state of Washington about hunting, etc. on their property. However, I would be the first to tell you that they don't always hold up their end of the agreement. They can and do close gates and roads and deny access when they think that fire danger warrants it. They can be very subjective about "fire danger." They are a private, for profit company and like to promote themselves as "public" friendly, but there's really nothing in it for them to be "friendly."

Well, there's the $375 a person for the pass they are selling to hunt on their land.

I was referring to big cats ie Cougar/Mtn Lions. Never ever go without a powerful sidearm. 45acp minimum. And a change of underwear.

Also a good GPS unit and a map. Very easy to get lost in thousands of acres, especially if it's raining or dark. Stop and redmark each road your traveling on and every intersection/turn you made so you can find your way back. Waypoints on gps are also very wise.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top